**Help** What are your smart food choices when traveling?

Options
smashthebutter
smashthebutter Posts: 17 Member
edited February 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I find that when I'm at home and can cook my own food I make much better food choices. But I travel about 100 nights a year and therefore spend a lot of time eating on the road. Any tips or recommendations for where and what you eat when traveling?

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I stock up before I leave with healthy choices. If I have to stop I try to pick restaurants that I know has food I can eat or I find a grocery store and get what I need. It takes a few more minutes then just grabbing a burger from a drive thru but I feel better and in the end it's worth it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My calorie target is probably substantially lower than yours, OP.

Road trip - grapes and carrots for mindless munching

Fast food - Taco Bell tacos al fresco, McDonald's Chicken McNuggets or soft serve (alas not the milkshakes), Subway 6-inch

Grocery store takeout (for hotel room) - Sushi, salad bar, single/double-serve ice cream

Dropzone bunkhouse - willpower, box of protein bars, Saltines for hangovers ;)

Hotel attached chain restaurants - often salad with grilled chicken on top is a decent enough choice; if more calories, eat the entree and skip the sides OR just order a couple of sides

Nicer places - shrimp cocktail, grilled fish or chicken, eff it and splurge

I like to make at least (more is better) one meal per trip either ice cream or frozen yogurt, but this might make your MFP macros cry themselves to sleep.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I find that when I am out of town and have to eat out I usually only have two meals a day. A big breakfast and dinner. That always helps keep the calories down. Since the portions are larger than my normal eating it keeps me full longer and I end up not snacking and things even out.
  • CanadianCountryGirl1973
    Options
    Can you reheat? That would make a difference! I always snack-baggie my serving sizes on a variety of snacking foods, so at least I'm not tempted by convenience store foods for snacking. I find most airport food kiosks have healthier options (like a salad with dressing in a separate container). If you can get to a grocery store instead of a restaurant, they have good cold prepackaged options (like wraps and salads). I'm in Canada and our restaurants have a LOT of healthy eating options on the menu. I was very, VERY disappointed in the restaurants I've been to in the U.S. that there are hardly anything of real nutritional value! My husband loves to whip out the phone and log in restaurant food on MFP before he orders something. Also, always ask for sauces on the side. Restaurants with all-you-ca- eat salad bars to help you fill up. Don't forget to drink your water! That's my big problem when travelling..... Good luck!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Right now most of the traveling I do is for obstacle course racing, so nutrition is super important before the event. I pack trail mix, (lots of) bananas, peanut butter and rice cakes, apples, quest or cliff bars, etc. I eat somewhere I know I can get a meal that will work with my body. Subway, Panera Bread, and Chipotle are great. Places like Applebees and Chillis have good food if you look for their low calorie options (usually like fish and half the size of other plates).

After the event is a different story, especially if it was on a ski slope or over 8 miles. Get to splurge a little after that =]
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I have snack baggies/ziplock and little plastic cups that I portion out when I go on trips....peanut butter, pistachios, pretzels, etc!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    My calorie target is probably substantially lower than yours, OP.

Road trip - grapes and carrots for mindless munching

Fast food - Taco Bell tacos al fresco, McDonald's Chicken McNuggets or soft serve (alas not the milkshakes), Subway 6-inch

Grocery store takeout (for hotel room) - Sushi, salad bar, single/double-serve ice cream

Dropzone bunkhouse - willpower, box of protein bars, Saltines for hangovers ;)

Hotel attached chain restaurants - often salad with grilled chicken on top is a decent enough choice; if more calories, eat the entree and skip the sides OR just order a couple of sides

Nicer places - shrimp cocktail, grilled fish or chicken, eff it and splurge

I like to make at least (more is better) one meal per trip either ice cream or frozen yogurt, but this might make your MFP macros cry themselves to sleep.
    Wow you really like ice cream lol
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Have a plan for the main types of restaurants you will encounter before you go and know the healthy foods in the biggest chains.

In general though, good bets are egg beater omelets, grilled chicken, grilled or broiled fish, steamed or grilled veggies, salads with dressing in the side. Petite filet mignon. Never eat steakhouse baked potatoes. They coat those suckers in lard before they cook them at most of those places. Get sauces and cheese put on the side whenever possible. Fresh fruit.

Always split every thing on your plate in half. Eat the first half then take a minute. Wait. Do you really want more? Are you already full?

My biggest rule is NO BOOZE at hotel manager receptions where booze is available. One drink usually leads to several.

At hotels.where I haven't pre-scouted jogging routes for safety, I use the hotel gym, not excuses.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I hear ya I've got an early flight to mexico 2morow morning, I'd rather not spend money on food at the airport, so i packed 2 quest bars a home made wrap, cashews, banana, grab a coffee at starbucks before I board.
  • snarlingcoyote
    snarlingcoyote Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded Ruby's Diner menu for IAH, actually, so I can plan.
  • Monsansa
    Monsansa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I almost always bring my own breakfast for work trips. It saves me calories and I get to sleep in a bit if I can eat breakfast in my hotel room while I get ready. Usually I bring plain packets of instant oats--just heat up water with the in-room coffee maker and they're ready in no time. I like to bring trail mix for snacking too, so I toss a handful into the oatmeal. If the hotel has a Starbucks or something like that I might grab a Greek yogurt and a banana instead while I'm getting my coffee fix.

Then I try to eat light at lunch with a salad or broth-based soup (seems like most restaurants have at least a couple options like this on their lunch menus). If I get hungry in the afternoon I've got my trail mix and I usually bring a couple Clif bars too. (I know they're for kids, but I love the Clif Z bars. They're just the right size for an afternoon snack.) If I'm careful with what I eat throughout the day then I can splurge a bit at dinner with some wine or a heavier entree without feeling too bad about it.
  • smashthebutter
    Options
    Some good ideas, thanks for sharing. I have packed a cooler with food to bring with me in the past. But that isn't always an option. I also will try to stay at a hotel that has a fridge or even stay at a residence inn, or something like that, so that I can have a small kitchen at my disposal. That allows me to bring or buy some healthy food I can store while I'm on the road. Thanks for the posts everybody!
  • smashthebutter
    Options
    Have a plan for the main types of restaurants you will encounter before you go and know the healthy foods in the biggest chains.

In general though, good bets are egg beater omelets, grilled chicken, grilled or broiled fish, steamed or grilled veggies, salads with dressing in the side. Petite filet mignon. Never eat steakhouse baked potatoes. They coat those suckers in lard before they cook them at most of those places. Get sauces and cheese put on the side whenever possible. Fresh fruit.

Always split every thing on your plate in half. Eat the first half then take a minute. Wait. Do you really want more? Are you already full?

My biggest rule is NO BOOZE at hotel manager receptions where booze is available. One drink usually leads to several.

At hotels.where I haven't pre-scouted jogging routes for safety, I use the hotel gym, not excuses.

Good tips - thanks Snarling Coyote.
  • smashthebutter
    Options
    Can you reheat? That would make a difference! I always snack-baggie my serving sizes on a variety of snacking foods, so at least I'm not tempted by convenience store foods for snacking. I find most airport food kiosks have healthier options (like a salad with dressing in a separate container). If you can get to a grocery store instead of a restaurant, they have good cold prepackaged options (like wraps and salads). I'm in Canada and our restaurants have a LOT of healthy eating options on the menu. I was very, VERY disappointed in the restaurants I've been to in the U.S. that there are hardly anything of real nutritional value! My husband loves to whip out the phone and log in restaurant food on MFP before he orders something. Also, always ask for sauces on the side. Restaurants with all-you-ca- eat salad bars to help you fill up. Don't forget to drink your water! That's my big problem when travelling..... Good luck!

American restaurants definitely offer fewer healthy options. We spent 2 weeks in Europe last summer and the food was great, very focused on clean eating options. We all noticed it in our energy levels and how we slept.
  • smashthebutter
    Options
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    I find that when I am out of town and have to eat out I usually only have two meals a day. A big breakfast and dinner. That always helps keep the calories down. Since the portions are larger than my normal eating it keeps me full longer and I end up not snacking and things even out.

You've got me thinking this might not be a bad option. Thanks for sharing.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I don't travel as much for work these days, but when I did and was dieting I would always stay in a hotel with at least a fridge and microwave and then go to the local grocery store and buy food and make it myself. If eating out is a must, keep it simple with as few ingredients/preparations to the food as possible (i.e. steamed, baked as opposed to anything in a sauce). But sometimes you just have to eat what's on the menu and then work it off later. Plus, you can always check out the menu online before going so you know what you're up against once you get there.

Another thing I would do is try and avoid the breakfast buffet the next morning... it was usually a sugary carb-fest with few smart choices. A pack of instant oatmeal made with water heated in the coffee pot in my room, with a banana or even raisins was always better.

And this might sound silly, but I would never keep singles or change on me in the room... too tempting to use the vending machines lol
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I always pack a protein bar or two in my carry on bag, as well as some healthy snacking options. That saves me money on airport food and keeps me from picking up something in the gift shops.

I'd try to do some research on restaurants around my hotel and find some that I know have lower calorie options like Applebee's, Outback, Red Lobster, etc. I'll usually order a small steak, grilled chicken or seafood and get double vegetables as the sides rather than a baked potato or fries.

Having a hotel room with a fridge or even a microwave or stove really expands your healthy eating options.