Stomach tightening

Options
lucid317
lucid317 Posts: 7
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
will tightening then releasing my stomach help me build muscle or get a flat stomach

Or will it even do anything????

Replies

• futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    It won't take your stomach from not flat, to flat.

It won't do *nothing*. You're using the muscle. The gains would likely plateau quite quickly though. It would not really be my choice? Sounds like a miserable way to spend your time, when you could knock out a Blogilates calendar day or something, feel awesome, and get like a ton more gain.

You'd also want to be mindful about it. You don't want to encourage tight muscles, as they can actually work into a loop where you get anxiety, poor sleep, etc.

But sure, some flexing, some practicing moves or breathing, some being mindful about engaging your core throughout your day, is positive.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    That on its own won't help you lose a pooch, or lower your body fat percentage, or even give you flat abs of steel. However it could help your posture in the long run, and good posture definitely can make a huge impact on how you look and feel.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,412 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A flat stomach comes from low body fat. A defined stomach comes from low body fat and good body composition (adequate muscle mass). A six pack comes from all of that and good genetics.