Tax Refund...What should I buy to help me reach my goal?!

Options
13»

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    ....achieve my goal(s) better and more accurately.

Depends what your goals are. Without articulating that then this becomes nothing more than a random list of things that other people use.

PersonallyI'd say running shoes, but if running isn't on your agenda then that's pointless.

Truth. Except the running shoes. F that. Then again, that's just me - I prefer rowing for cardio work. But, considering this is MFP, I'm leaning toward food scale. Of course, as was mentioned, what - EXACTLY - is/are your goal(s)?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    rbiss wrote: »
    I would do a heart rate monitor over a fitbit. The fitbit can be wildly inaccurate and if your working out and only works for activities involving step. A a heart rate monitor can calculate the calorie burn much more accurately and can be used for any activity. I find that my fitness pal does a pretty good job at estimating calories and when I use my monitor, i just enter in the calories burned during exercise. I use a polar FT4, its cheap and does the job.

Actually, they are not accurate for "any activity" and they produce an estimate based on relationships for certain activities ... how accurate the caloric estimations are from an HRM varies greatly and depends on a number of factors ranging from which model device you use to calculate to what activity you do.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    If it is a question of more accurate food inputs (with a food scale) or more accurate exercise inputs (with a Fitbit), get something that will help with more accurate food inputs. It is way too easy to overestimate on food.

I'd go as far as to say that of the two the only one that you can measure with any confidence is input. Calorie expenditure from training and background activity is affected by so many variables that most of the tools to measure it are giving a reasonably arbitrary figure, unless backed up by expensive lab work on a regular basis and somewhat more than a consumer grade device.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    If nothing else, definitely a food scale (one that measures in grams/ounces/etc.)
    I've also found that a pocket scale is convenient, too, as they can measure to the nearest 0.1 gram, which makes measuring out smaller things such as spices, cacao nibs, etc. a lot more convenient, easier, and accurate.
    A gym membership would be a nice luxury depending on your schedule, unless you'd prefer to get some equipment for your home (doesn't have to be expensive - you can buy even something to attach to your door frame to help with pull ups).
    Last but not least, I'd suggest some Quest Vanilla Milkshake Protein Powder as a major indulgence! It's a little more expensive than your regular protein powder, but it has fewer/better ingredients, absolutely no bitter or odd aftertaste, and is very good tasting and filling. I'll be honest, I don't really work out, but I still consume this stuff quite often to help meet my protein goals. It tastes good mixed with just about anything! It also contains a blend of whey isolate and casein protein, so it provides immediate and lasting energy :)
  • mcharo78
    mcharo78 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mcharo78 wrote: »
    Fitbit Charge HR is a activity tracker with a heartrate monitor. It'll cost you about $275-$300 but worth it. There is a HR monitor that let's you know when you are in the cardio rate zone but I'm not sure which one. But if I could afford it, I would definitely get that one. right now I just have the Fitbit One.
    I'M sorry I misquoted....the charge hr will run about $150. the fitbit surge will run about $250-$300.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    A Fitbit, heart rate monitor, or food scale would be the best bet if you don't have any those.

I am debating between a step counter (Fitbit) or a HRM

Get the Fitbit Charge with HRM... I have the Fitbit Charge with out HRM and it is one of the best things I could have done to help me out and interfaces with MFP. Perfect combo.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    *sigh* I remember the good old days of getting a refund instead of only breaking even at tax time.
    Anywho, I think you should buy a HRM. Polar FT4

You should break even if you are doing it right. OP I would get an accountant :p

If she's a student you usually get quite a bit back because most students can write of their tuition which decreases their taxable income. When I was a full time student I got $2,000 + CDN back almost every year simply due to writing off school expenses and that was done by an accountant.

Right... my guess is that the OP pays $0 tax and worked during the year. Unless she claimed exempt on her W-4 or had more income than a typical college student with a very part-time job, then she is going to have tax taken out. And if my guess is right that her tax is $0, then she gets it all back.

FWIW, I used to manage my withholdings right after college to have as close as possible to no refund or payment. For several years, I would come out with usually less than $100 either refunded or paid, total between federal and state. Then I decided to do the less financially responsible thing with federal and plan for a larger refund. It just feels nice. I realize the argument is that I should be saving a few bucks every paycheck instead and bank the 0.1% interest (ha!), but losing $5 over the year is worth the euphoric feeling of having a large refund. State, on the other hand, is different. For state income taxes, I just let them have as close to exactly the right amount as possible. This year, I'll pay them $7, so I feel like I got it pretty dang close.

Anyway, I know it's off topic, but had to throw in my 2 cents on planning for a refund or not.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I remember the good old days of getting a refund instead of only breaking even at tax time.

You should break even if you are doing it right. OP I would get an accountant :p

If she's a student you usually get quite a bit back because most students can write of their tuition which decreases their taxable income. When I was a full time student I got $2,000 + CDN back almost every year simply due to writing off school expenses and that was done by an accountant.

Right... my guess is that the OP pays $0 tax and worked during the year. Unless she claimed exempt on her W-4 or had more income than a typical college student with a very part-time job, then she is going to have tax taken out. And if my guess is right that her tax is $0, then she gets it all back.

FWIW, I used to manage my withholdings right after college to have as close as possible to no refund or payment. For several years, I would come out with usually less than $100 either refunded or paid, total between federal and state. Then I decided to do the less financially responsible thing with federal and plan for a larger refund. It just feels nice. I realize the argument is that I should be saving a few bucks every paycheck instead and bank the 0.1% interest (ha!), but losing $5 over the year is worth the euphoric feeling of having a large refund. State, on the other hand, is different. For state income taxes, I just let them have as close to exactly the right amount as possible. This year, I'll pay them $7, so I feel like I got it pretty dang close.

Anyway, I know it's off topic, but had to throw in my 2 cents on planning for a refund or not.

Ha ha yepp - it can all be done for sure.

I used to just pay the regular taxes at my job and then when I filed my taxes, I was exempt for all the months I was in school and then got back everything I paid on income tax when I filed.

Ahhh, to be a student again. I had more money then than I do now . . .
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Im using mine to buy- a fitbit charge hr ($150), a good pair of running sneakers, and a polar hrm. I already own a digital scale ($20 walmart). Thats a great idea to use it for a gym membership! I already pay monthly. Also, i plan on treating myself to some compression pants/capris, a couple good sports bras, and cute tops. I dont know if ill use both the charge hr and polar, but im buying them anyways bc i want both and want to treat myself. Another idea is to stock up on all the things that help make your diet easier- tupperware, scale, measuring cups, shake cups/blenders, protein powder if you use it, and of course- good healthy foods! Enjoy!
  • JenniferInCt
    JenniferInCt Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Since your in school, i dont know if you have much room but also you can look into- a used or new treadmill or elliptical, hand weight or barbells (dumbells are so cheap and effective), yoga mat, headphones for the gym..
    - Im excited for you! Wish i could use your income tax and go shopping for u lol!
  • 3ghayes
    Options
    I would get a Fitbit (Charge, it's the one that tracks your heart rate) and a food scale. Cute work out clothes are always fun to buy so maybe you could set aside some of your refund money and buy a new work out outfit when you reach your first goal.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    I would buy a squat rack :-)

I second this motion.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Hire a reputable trainer in your area. Ask many questions and soak in all the knowledge they can offer. Use these tools to help you on your fitness journey for the rest of your life. Profit.
  • activgrl
    activgrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    HRM and books on nutrition. That's all you need. Generally, a person can tell if you're being active or not. If you sit all day and don't walk much, you don't need a fitbit to tell you you only took 1000 steps. A HRM is a great tool to understand how much you're burning while you workout and what zone your heart rate is in. But most important to any "diet" or lifestyle, is nutrition. Food scales are GREAT, but can be very time consuming to weigh each and every thing and I find that people often give up on them rather than sticking to it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can buy self discipline- but if you find it- buy that.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

Ha ha yepp - it can all be done for sure.

I used to just pay the regular taxes at my job and then when I filed my taxes, I was exempt for all the months I was in school and then got back everything I paid on income tax when I filed.

Ahhh, to be a student again. I had more money then than I do now . . .

Well, I'm a student again... I'm working on my MBA as a FT student. But I also work FT and I have a decent income (though I'm definitely underpaid). And I am single without kids, so I pay a fair amount of taxes even as a student (though being a student is secondary).

The last couple years of undergrad, I worked FT, had a couple of PT jobs, and did some contract work on the side. In total, I still earned less than I do now and was working twice as much. But I still paid quite a bit in taxes. The best bet for me to have more money is to find a way to get paid more (not going to happen unless I move and find a new job, which I will do in about 5 years) or if I find a wife/gf (preferably wife for maximum financial benefits) who also has an income. The fixed and mixed costs (housing, utilities, furniture, appliances, etc.) split across 2 incomes is better than 1.

Anyway, for the OP, depending on the amount of the refund and interests, there are a lot of possibilities. A food scale is a good option for everybody trying to lose weight, regardless of interests and can even be purchased with a small refund.

If it is a larger amount and if you have space (I assume you don't in college) and interest, you could buy a kayak - there is definitely a lot of exercise possibility and it is super fun if that is your thing.

Since you mention a food scale and a Fitbit / step counter / HRM, it is pretty clear that you already know what you want to get. If you have enough refund ($200-$300), get the Fitbit Charge HR and a food scale. If you have more than that, then think it through and get something that you will actually use.
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the tax refund! Mine is going to be going towards my car insurance - its pretty expensive in British Columbia, Canada.

My vote: A digital scale, gym membership, a few sessions with a personal trainer, a HRM (that maybe has a built in step counter if you want it) and maybe a membership to Costco (if you have room to store bulk food). In that order :)
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I love my Charge HR (fitbit). I know it's not super accurate, but I feel like it does a decent job keeping me in a deficit, and motivated to do so. I also recommend a food scale (if you need one - if you're losing without one, you might not want it). Mine just crapped out... so now I have to replace it (boo!). I would also invest in a really good sports bra. Those are the things that I would buy.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    redheaddee wrote: »
    I would buy a squat rack :-)
    I like you.

Don't waste your money on a fitbit OP