Ex college track athlete and just had a baby

Options
Hi! I need some help with motivation. I know what it takes to get in shape. I am just so exhausted and sleep deprived from my full tile job, full time school, raising my son, financial stresses, family commitments, cleaning and chores,and personal stresses. I struggle to find time and motivation. If anyone can help please let me know! Friend me too

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You know how to take care of yourself:
    Prioritize sleep about above all. Your son needs a mom who is rested and strong.
    Reduce family commitments.
    Hire people do take care of the cleaning and chores.
    Consider taking fewer classes next term.
    If you cannot fit in exercise time right now, focus on eating a calorie deficit.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    There are 168 hours in a week. Trying to fit in more activities than can be jammed into that many hours is not virtue, it is bad planning.

I teach college classes. When I have students in similar situations, I have them sit down with a week-long calendar and plan out when they are going to do everything that they need to do, including an hour of study time each week for every course credit. If you can't fit everything in the spaces, something HAS to go

Get help and put either school or work on hold for a while. If you aren't taking care of yourself, you can't take care of anybody else.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Are you a single parent? If not, your partner needs to do their part.

If that can't happen for whatever reason, lower your cleaning standards and stop helping people so much. You need to protect your time to do well. School is more important than vacuuming right now.

If you are involved in like a serious commitment to family (like caring for sick person, not just "helping out"), cut back on school, for sure.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    And if you are a single parent, mobilize all the support you can. You need help right now.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Be realistic. If you have no time, figure out what is not necessary, and what is absolutely needed. If you have no time to sleep, this comes before exercise. Do not try to get back to a pre-baby, pre-job schedule regarding exercise. Try to start simple. Like take your baby for walks, look into a jogging stroller, see if someone can babysit so you can get a couple of hours to yourself on weekends, put on some music and dance with the baby and so on. Set simple goals for now. Try to figure out what you really do not need to be doing: skip family visits, lower your standards regarding household chores. And be patient.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    All that's required is a caloric deficit.
  • angiepaige77
    angiepaige77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just had a baby last April and am struggling also. Make sure not to cut out too many calories if you are breastfeeding because your body needs 1800-2000 to produce that liquid gold. if it doesn't get it from food it will take it from everything else in your body... like your bones. My house gets cleaned mostly on Saturdays when my husband and I are both home and someone can watch the baby. I'm a clean freak so it was hard to not clean so much but your baby needs you more than the dishes do:-D I've just registered to run a marathon in OcTober but have no motivation at all to train... So I feel ya. I'm also eating super crappy and can't find the want to change it. If you come across anything that helps I'd love to hear it.