Beauty vs. fitness

needernt
needernt Posts: 675 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Although there are lots of discussions about importance of weight training for every man and woman, but I notice indeed the most beautiful models (women models) don't do heavy exercises and they look pretty healthy, fit and fresh.

What do you think? Should we necessarily exercise to stay healthy and young?

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Yes, the modeling industry, well known for its promotion of women's health and not at all for its reliance on Photoshop.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    needernt wrote: »
    ...... I notice indeed the most beautiful models (women models) don't do heavy exercises and they look pretty healthy, fit and fresh.

What do you base that assertion on?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Although there are lots of discussions about importance of weight training for every man and woman, but I notice indeed the most beautiful models (women models) don't do heavy exercises and they look pretty healthy, fit and fresh.

so you've gone from 'models dont lift' to 'do we need to do any exercise at all' riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! :noway:
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Looking healthy and being healthy are two seperate things.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    I'm pretty sure most female models do work out and do put a lot of time and effort in - but they'll never look overtly muscular because of their exercise regimes and the fact they have to keep their weight low.

Also, you know, lighting, makeup, photoshop.... I've never seen a female model in real life bare faced, in normal daylight, to ascertain whether I felt she looked 'healthy'. How can you realistically tell anyway? Pretty sure medical school would take a lot less time to complete if it were possible to assess someone's health by just looking at a picture of them....
  • ainarsraciks
    ainarsraciks Posts: 166 Member

I don't think it's necessity but it definitely helps. There are plenty of people who never exercised and lived till 100, and felt good. Personally, I think the most important thing is healthy diet. Exercise helps a lot of your diet is not perfect.

There is huge difference though between looking healthy and fit and being healthy and fit.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    I bet they do exercise but its not structured. My grandmother is getting up there heading to 90. She isnt a gym member but she is always looking after her pigs, chickens, goats, sheep, and all her other animals.
  • needernt
    edited February 2015
    ...... I notice indeed the most beautiful models (women models) don't do heavy exercises and they look pretty healthy, fit and fresh.

I personally know a female glamour model who smokes and does zero exercise and she looks more fresh than most girls around.
  • needernt
    joolsmd wrote: »
    Ummmm ,it's a bit complicated but generally we want to be healthy in order to look healthy and young. Why do you think healthy people need not to look healthy?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

I personally know a female glamour model who smokes and does zero exercise and she looks more fresh than most girls around.

So an N=1 study?

I know several performers who do pole, silks, bodyweight work and running.

It all depends what you define as look good.
  • cheshirecatastrophe

Her bones and lungs are gonna be a good show in 20 years.

(Smoking is common for models as a way to avoid eating.)
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    As a photographer I have a little bit (granted not much) experience of the fashion industry. Successfull agency models are skinny. Skinny does not always mean healthy. There are European fashion houses that require their runway models to be size 0. Do you have any idea how small that is?

All successfull models work out, they simply have to in order to look good. most of them dont do weights because of the misconception that weights make you bulky and in the fashion industry bulky (on female models) is bad.

I know at least 1 model hat has started lifting and that has improved her as a model and as a dancer.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    This calls for

BriCKywCEAAS8aE.png:large

Whether you know a model that looks great that smoke/shoots heroine/eats babies/steal cars or doesn't exercise does not negate in any way that exercise is an important part of staying healthy and growing old well.

In all likelihood, if you are as plain as roadkill or me, exercise won't make you a model. I still do it.
  • alysme
    alysme Posts: 81 Member
    If you're an actress/celeb etc you'll have a personal trainer.
    I reckon the vast majority of famous women lift to a greater or lesser extent.
    You can't really tell a woman lifts unless you see them in the gym just after a workout. I look pretty muscular after a work out, at the moment I look fairly slim and normal.
    Jennifer Anistion has rounded shoulders (I'm not sure what muscle it is) like female lifters.
    Britney is on the cover of women's fitness this month.
    Madonna has/has biceps.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Trolls be trollin'

I once knew a guy that smoked 40 a day for 50 years and didn't get lung cancer, so clearly the two are totally unrelated.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    edited February 2015
    Trolls be trollin'

I once knew a guy that smoked 40 a day for 50 years and didn't get lung cancer, so clearly the two are totally unrelated.

MFP trolls are vastly more entertaining than ones on any other site I've frequented. Even the spam autobots create better thread titles.

I'm totally going to stop running, because I could get the same results by smoking. Someone on the Internet said it, so it must be true.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Looking like a glamour model is not my goal. I just want to be the best version of me possible. The best way for me to do that is to do heavy exercise and eat right so that's what I'm doing. My before pictures clearly show that doing the opposite did me no favors.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    joolsmd wrote: »
    Ummmm ,it's a bit complicated but generally we want to be healthy in order to look healthy and young. Why do you think healthy people need not to look healthy?
    They could look like a dog thats been buried for three weeks then dug up, but could still be healthier than the daisy fresh looking model next to them.

However, I agree that the majority of people who work out do so to look better. I just don't think that people who look better are necessarily healthier (Kate Moss's use of prodigious amounts of cocaine are documented fact, at least in the UK).

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    My goal isn't to look like a model... It's to look like a bad *kitten*!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

how do you know said modes don't lift????