Subtle siren of failure - is that whine bringing others down?

Options
2»

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I dont think people quite get it. I think they think I am just being a Debbie Downer, whining about my struggles with my relationship with food and motivation. As someone who suffers from OCD and Anxiety - It feels like so0000o0o0o0 much more than that. I lapse in my healthy ways sends my mind into a spin - over thinking - re thinking - going around and around and finally ending here with a status - and looking for some kind words or help. Is that too much to ask for? =(

Nope, not too much. I hope you get all the support you need.

Are you just a "Debbie Downer" or do you spend time communicating beyond the 'needy' part? Only you (and possibly your friends list) can decide.

Every single time we post - it isn't just about us - it is also about how our 'voice' impacts others - Is it too much to ask that you consider that?
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I dont think people quite get it. I think they think I am just being a Debbie Downer, whining about my struggles with my relationship with food and motivation. As someone who suffers from OCD and Anxiety - It feels like so0000o0o0o0 much more than that. I lapse in my healthy ways sends my mind into a spin - over thinking - re thinking - going around and around and finally ending here with a status - and looking for some kind words or help. Is that too much to ask for? =(

Nope, not too much. I hope you get all the support you need.

Are you just a "Debbie Downer" or do you spend time communicating beyond the 'needy' part? Only you (and possibly your friends list) can decide.

Every single time we post - it isn't just about us - it is also about how our 'voice' impacts others - Is it too much to ask that you consider that?
    Yes, thats too much. ;) just Kidding. Just wanted to get my input there =) thanks for the reply
  • runningforthetrain
    runningforthetrain Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options

This was a thought provoking post. I read it before the posters who found the "downers" an inspiration (don't wanna be that); somewhat beating me to the punch. I have the good fortune, or perhaps good judgement, to have friends who, with the exception of one, have performed their fitness goals better than me.

However some people post about life problems unrelated to fitness- which I find confounding because I don't do this. I don't delete these people though; if I have any positive information or ideas, I offer it. This is perhaps a topic for another thread. But, the negative hum thing - is here too.

I think I just recognize the naysayers for what they are- I don't find myself inclined to "give in" to any sort of empathy for excuses... When I want to get going on cleaning my house; I just watch one of those "horder" shows and I am at the Goodwill the next day.

It is interesting to me when people who make excuses really believe they aren't. People who lie to themselves. That is sad. At least when I am a heathen- which I often am- I accept the consequences - and have learned (work in progress) what is worth it and what isn't. But, I try not to lie, especially to myself.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    <3
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ah, but to balance the negatives out we have----the MFP success stories. Wonderful stories of people that have made it, despite all odds. When I first started 2 yrs ago and I was down, thinking I wasn't going anywhere, I found these boards and started to read the successes. It always pulled me up, sometimes made me cry, and always gave me the push to go on. So yes, there are negative posters, and sometimes they just need a boost to get back on track. There seem to be alot of them because this is the place where they come for help. The lurkers are also out there. It gets tiring sometimes, but I admire the "experts" who give of their time and experience. Keep it up--you may change a life. B)