How to not lose motivation during weight loss?

Options
Hi guys, last week I increased my calorie intake from 1200 to 1400. I did that because I was feeling hungry and realised that I need to eat more especially because I do work out. I worked out 4x a week and ate around 1400 calories (tracked it on MFP and measured EVERYTHING) but didn't lose any weight. Now I know that 1 week isn't enough, but I feel unmotivated. I'm still going because I don't want to give up, but I want to know what helps you guys feel motivated. I'm only trying to lose the last 13 pounds or so, but finding it really hard. I did do a bit of strength training last week so maybe that's the reason I didn't lose weight? Not sure. Anyways, let me know what you guys do to feel motivated. Thanks :)

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Now I know that 1 week isn't enough
    A week isn't much in the big picture. Keep going.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You feel unmotivated?

Your motivation is losing weight long term but motivation comes and goes..so what? You're an adult get over it and just commit!

You just need to commit to logging and calorie defecit ...and just keep going in the face of any stall

I stall for 2 -3 weeks frequently then drop ...that's how weight loss works for me

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary? Also, remember when starting strength training, it's normal to retain water.
  • dohayoussef123
    dohayoussef123 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Can you open your diary? Also, remember when starting strength training, it's normal to retain water.

I just made my diary public
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    First, MFP is designed to eat back exercise calories (most eat half due to miscalculations). I don't see where you're logging your exercise. Remember, the winner gets to eat the most and still lose.
    As for the diary part. Don't use generic entries (not usually accurate). You should be weighing your portions and cups are for liquids. These little things add up.
    Use the fact that you're getting stronger as motivation. You don't need a magic number to get to, there is no hurry.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    It looks like you already lost 17-congratulations!
    It gets much slower as you get closer to your goal weight so don't lose heart!
    I'm within 9 pounds of my ultimate goal and it's frustratingly slow.
    Looks like you should eat more protein and a bit more healthy fats for satiety.
    Hoe much do you weigh now, what is your hight, and what is your final goal weight?
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    1)You have to find the absolute route of why you want to lose weight. Not to fit into an outfit...what fitting into the outfit would mean (the feeling behind it) Once you find the emotional connection to it that is worth more than anything you wont let yourself down (brutal honestly required).

2)Change your expectation. I don't weigh in. I went off measurements and body fat ratio. It was hard at first but the relief of not having to have the scale disagree with me all the time was a godsend!! I still have no idea how much I weigh but I know I have a lean frame, healthy body fat and very low visceral fat. Look at all the internet evidence of different weights depending on height and genetics etc. If you can make peace with that and focus on your goal, you'll stop finding an excuse to trip up.

3)Stop counting everything! At some point you have to know what you should and shouldn't be eating. If you have made a lifestyle choice and no longer have the foods that mess up our natural body chemistry in your life then you'll never have to weight/calorie count again. If i pick up an apple I don't need to know what's in it. If i look at my plate and see healthy portions of good food I know that's what's right for me and if i eat slowly my body will say when its had enough.

Just my advice, take from it what you need.
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    It looks like you already lost 17-congratulations!
    It gets much slower as you get closer to your goal weight so don't lose heart!
    I'm within 9 pounds of my ultimate goal and it's frustratingly slow.
    Looks like you should eat more protein and a bit more healthy fats for satiety.
    Hoe much do you weigh now, what is your hight, and what is your final goal weight?

Thanks :) I weigh 133 pounds and I'm 5'5. My goal weight is about 120. I'll make sure to up my protein intake. I do think I should eat more protein.
  • dohayoussef123
    Options
    Foxyfin wrote: »
    1)You have to find the absolute route of why you want to lose weight. Not to fit into an outfit...what fitting into the outfit would mean (the feeling behind it) Once you find the emotional connection to it that is worth more than anything you wont let yourself down (brutal honestly required).

2)Change your expectation. I don't weigh in. I went off measurements and body fat ratio. It was hard at first but the relief of not having to have the scale disagree with me all the time was a godsend!! I still have no idea how much I weigh but I know I have a lean frame, healthy body fat and very low visceral fat. Look at all the internet evidence of different weights depending on height and genetics etc. If you can make peace with that and focus on your goal, you'll stop finding an excuse to trip up.

3)Stop counting everything! At some point you have to know what you should and shouldn't be eating. If you have made a lifestyle choice and no longer have the foods that mess up our natural body chemistry in your life then you'll never have to weight/calorie count again. If i pick up an apple I don't need to know what's in it. If i look at my plate and see healthy portions of good food I know that's what's right for me and if i eat slowly my body will say when its had enough.

Thanks so much for the advice-helped a lot. A while a go I decided to not weight myself but I'm so afraid of gaining fat so I can't let go of the scale. I do think I need to though.

• dohayoussef123
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    First, MFP is designed to eat back exercise calories (most eat half due to miscalculations). I don't see where you're logging your exercise. Remember, the winner gets to eat the most and still lose.
    As for the diary part. Don't use generic entries (not usually accurate). You should be weighing your portions and cups are for liquids. These little things add up.
    Use the fact that you're getting stronger as motivation. You don't need a magic number to get to, there is no hurry.

Yeh I don't really log in my workouts because I never know how many calories I've burnt. I do feel like I weigh my portions. I have a scale and I weigh everything and almost all my entries aren't generic. Maybe a 2 or 3-but I do scan the barcode of almost everything I eat. Are you seeing a lot of generic entries?

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Foxyfin wrote: »

I agree with all of this and would add that it would help to find joy in the process - the actual exercise, new healthier nutrition choices that you really enjoy. If you intend to make lifestyle changes sustainable, you should find ways to be committed (as an earlier poster rightly said) and motivated that will last beyond your goal and for the rest of your life.
  • dridings74
    dridings74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with relying on measurements vs. the scale. Just because the scale isn't moving doesn't mean good things aren't happening on the inside.
  • FinFoxPT
    FinFoxPT Posts: 106 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for the advice-helped a lot. A while a go I decided to not weight myself but I'm so afraid of gaining fat so I can't let go of the scale. I do think I need to though.

If you want to take the island...BURN THE BOATS!! I worked out I would have to eat 5 extra apples every day for the next 16 years to put my weight back on. How long it would take with the food choices I use to make is irrelevant because respect myself too much to EVER eat them again. Forgive your past mistakes, give yourself no other options and make peace with that. You can't put petrol in a diesel car, end of, so are you petrol or diesel? Oh and the scales have NO CLUE if your weight is hair/water/muscle.