How to not lose motivation during weight loss?

Options
Hi guys, last week I increased my calorie intake from 1200 to 1400. I did that because I was feeling hungry and realised that I need to eat more especially because I do work out. I worked out 4x a week and ate around 1400 calories (tracked it on MFP and measured EVERYTHING) but didn't lose any weight. Now I know that 1 week isn't enough, but I feel unmotivated. I'm still going because I don't want to give up, but I want to know what helps you guys feel motivated. I'm only trying to lose the last 13 pounds or so, but finding it really hard. I did do a bit of strength training last week so maybe that's the reason I didn't lose weight? Not sure. Anyways, let me know what you guys do to feel motivated. Thanks :)

Replies

• PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    For me, I had to dig deep and really tap into WHY I wanted to get the weight off. Above and beyond looking good I needed a deeper reason to keep me motivated. When I did that, I realized that what I really wanted was to not die a preventable death. Dramatic, I know but it's what I needed to make a lifestyle change. If weight loss in and of itself were enough to keep us all going none of us would need a site like this for too long. But when you connect it to something emotional, something intrinsic, that's motivation that can last a lot longer than swimsuit season for most!

Does that make sense?

Feel free to friend me! :)
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I had to bump up my calories too to not feel so hungry and I just got over a 2-ish week baby plateau (a real one of course lasts longer). But I was losing 1+ pounds a week and when I wasn't it was not particularly motivating. I knew it was water weight or something else because I was on top of my routine, but its still no fun lol. When I have times like that, it isn't about motivation at all, it's about discipline. I think motivation comes and goes but for this to work for me I have to stay disciplined - and you don't need motivation for that.

You can do it!
  • hellcaterika
    hellcaterika Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any time I'm feeling unmotivated or lazy I make it a point to work out. The sooner you get on it, the sooner you are done working out. It takes effort to be lazy too, and what do you end up doing? Watching t.v. or getting online? I do it, but now I just make it a point. There's been evenings where I didn't think I would work out and come 8 p.m. just made myself do it. Just do it lol
  • jsobole
    jsobole Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about the scale. I look in the mirror and I see my pants falling off me - I have co-workers telling me how great I look. Plus, I'm seeing my success motivating my friends and family to get moving and get healthy. THAT'S a big motivator.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, last week I increased my calorie intake from 1200 to 1400. I did that because I was feeling hungry and realised that I need to eat more especially because I do work out. I worked out 4x a week and ate around 1400 calories (tracked it on MFP and measured EVERYTHING) but didn't lose any weight. Now I know that 1 week isn't enough, but I feel unmotivated. I'm still going because I don't want to give up, but I want to know what helps you guys feel motivated. I'm only trying to lose the last 13 pounds or so, but finding it really hard. I did do a bit of strength training last week so maybe that's the reason I didn't lose weight? Not sure. Anyways, let me know what you guys do to feel motivated. Thanks :)

Let's say 1400 calories represents about a 1 lb per week rate of loss...and now lets also examine the fact that natural body weight fluctuations can be anywhere from 0-5 Lbs from day to day...

I think when you examine that you can easily see how scale loss can be masked when you're only looking at a week.

You need to look at the overall trend over a much longer period of time.

As far as motivation goes...well, it comes and goes...if you're relying solely on motivation you're in for a rough ride. You should be focusing on developing healthful habits...losing weight and being at a healthy weight are only a small part of being healthy all around...when you focus on health in general, it's easy to develop these habits...the end result of living a healthful lifestyle is being at a healthy weight/BF%.
  • JimFsfitnesspal
    JimFsfitnesspal Posts: 313 Member
    Options

I feel hungry no matter how many calories I eat, so I do not understand why that (by itself) would cause you to up your cals. You should definitely make sure your calculations are correct on MFP and doublecheck it based on your BMR and adjustments.

I feel less hungry when I maintain a steady flow of small meals and snacks through the day (every 2.5-3 hours). I limit my carbs and sugars and focus on good fats, proteins, and all the fruits and vegetables (good carbs) I want.

I lift heavy weights every other day to build muscle. I feel so much better eating "low" carb nutrition and exercising daily. That is all the motivation I need.
  • Auto_K
    Auto_K Posts: 8
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's almost impossible to avoid losing motivation at some point. You'll get discouraged, we all will. Instead of worrying about losing it, focus on finding more meaningful sources of inspiration. Also focus on cultivating discipline. Motivation can be fleeting, discipline sticks around a bit longer. Make healthy choices a part of your life until you don't have to think about it. That's discipline.

You say you don't want to give up. That's awesome. What makes you refuse to give up? Whatever that is, focus on that. Feed that. Make that strength grow.

Whatever happens, don't beat yourself up if you you're feeling unmotivated or if you haven't lost much this week or if you didn't make it to the gym.

You will fail sometimes. That is okay. Failure is how you learn. Embrace failure and learn to love the lessons it teaches you.

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better." --Samuel Beckett