PCOS Weight loss

Options
Hi ive been on a while but have PCOS and really struggle with the weight loss despite eating really well and exercising!
I need more PCOS buddies x

Replies

• archanajoyce
    archanajoyce Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hi... I have PCOS too and struggle with weight loss at times. Just dropped by to tell you, it IS possible. You got this! Be patient, trust the system.

I understand the mood swings, the cramps, the irregular cycles, back pain, Metformin backlashes, er... the running to bathrooms and most of the things associated with it.

If you need support or just someone to talk to, please feel free to add me.

• AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too! I have always struggled to lose it...no problem putting it on though. I have recently found that completely changing my diet (I know that sounds obvious) has really helped. I have lost 21lbs in 7 weeks with a 5 day juicing reboot and now just eating clean and the weight is still falling off each week, plus I have loads of energy. Add me if you like, I'm on every day but no longer log what I eat as a lot is veg juice, but I can tell you where to get the recipes :D
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and it took me a long time to start to lose. I was faithful to MFP for 6 weeks before I lost my first pound and then after that they started coming off more easily. I just make sure to stay at or under my carbs on the macros and that really seems to help and I drink only water. I've gone from 204 down to 134 so far.
  • silverarcheress
    silverarcheress Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. I don't know if it makes losing weight harder or if it's just my mentality. I have been losing weight for around a year and I lose on average 1lb a week. It has eased the symptoms slightly and my cycle has become slightly more predictable. I refused to take any medication for PCOS so I like that my body seems to be becoming naturally more 'normal'. I've gone from 262lb to 201lb so far
  • Mech9
    Mech9 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I work with a doctor to help me with my diet for PCOS and I definitely recommend talking to one if you can afford it. I commented in another thread recently about PCOS, and I'll quote it here since it has links that you might find helpful:
    I also have PCOS, and there's a lot of information available online for what could possibly help but there's no clear-cut "do this diet" type thing. But I can definitely try to help point you in the right direction! To get started you'll want to understand the glycemic index and how that affects your insulin levels. Here is a "basics" page for that: http://youngwomenshealth.org/2013/12/12/pcos-nutrition/

Here is a study that many articles online have cited about nutrition in women with PCOS: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23420000

That study indicates that low carb diets (not keto, please consult with your doctor before deciding to take that route), low glycemic index diets, and high protein diets all have benefits for PCOS sufferers. But ultimately weight loss is dependent on a calorie reduction, not the type of foods consumed.

Please also note that you may face the possibility of having a reduction in your BMR compared to a normal individual: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372 - Due to this, you may find that you will need to restrict your calories differently than a TDEE calculator would suggest. Please talk to your doctor about this to determine where you fall in that.

This is just a start, but I hope I've helped.

I just want to add that it's tough, but it's definitely possible and weight loss helps with the symptoms a lot. I've only lost 25 lbs so far, but I'm already feeling much better. Plus, when you manage your blood sugar properly it helps to reduce the irritability and mood swings if you have those.

And even though you may already be doing this, the typical forum advice still applies here: buy a food scale and weigh everything you eat (including cooking oils/butter/bites of food/licking the spoon) to prevent underestimating calories, don't eat back *all* of your exercise calories because machines and MFP overestimates those, and always log cheat days/cheat meals because an extra 2,000 calories in one day could negate your entire week's work!

But I have no helpful advice for the intense makes-you-want-to-burst-into-tears cravings, since I still have those as strong as day one. I just try to indulge moderately. :P
  • 365toAwesome
    365toAwesome Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    AH2013 wrote: »
    I have PCOS too! I have always struggled to lose it...no problem putting it on though. I have recently found that completely changing my diet (I know that sounds obvious) has really helped. I have lost 21lbs in 7 weeks with a 5 day juicing reboot and now just eating clean and the weight is still falling off each week, plus I have loads of energy. Add me if you like, I'm on every day but no longer log what I eat as a lot is veg juice, but I can tell you where to get the recipes :D
    Hi

Did you juice 5 days a week then take 2 days off? If so what did u eat on those days? I'm so curious. I'm doing 6 on and 1 off for 4 weeks. Thank you