How Much Do You Believe?

Options
RaspberryTickleChicken
RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
edited February 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
My rl MFP bud & I had an interesting conversation the other day & I thought I'd toss it out there to survey other maintainers' consensus.

After reaching goal weight, did you get rid of your oompa loompa clothes or did you keep them as a 'just in case'?
  • If you got rid of them, when did you do so? ie. 1 mth, 3 mos into maintaining? etc.
  • If you kept them, do you plan on always keeping them & why? ie. keeping one pair of pants as a reminder, afraid that will regain etc.

Personally, the minute that my pants no longer could be secured with a belt & not look ridiculous, I donated everything which no longer fit. For me it was more of a confirmation that this is indeed a new chapter in my life and that I was never, EVER going back to where I once was.

Very interested to hear everyone's approach & why.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    oompa loompas are tiny and orange....?
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    As soon as they started looking ridiculously big on me I gave most away to charity shops, sold some on Ebay and a few of the nicer/ designer dresses I gave to my daughter in law who was delighted to get them. I have kept none of my bigger clothes, I have been a UK size 10 for two years now and I never intend to be anything larger ever again :smiley:
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I read the OP and questioned whether an oompa loompa was indeed what I thought it was for a second...

I put my too-big clothes in one of those charity collection bags which get picked up from your doorstep once I was done losing weight. This was to clear out valuable wardrobe space for new things.
  • alphabetsoup2013
    alphabetsoup2013 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I gave away my clothes (charity, friends) as I shrank (size 26/28 to size 12/14). And, recently, I spent a fair bit of money on a decent wardrobe for work, so I don't dare allow myself to gain back any of the weight I lost. (I had always wanted to shop at this particular store in my town -- but I had always been too big -- so it was a huge victory to be able to walk in there and shop off the rack. What a crazy-wonderful feeling.)
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Yeah I never had oopma loompa clothes. However, to answer the question, I got rid of most of my clothes as soon as they stopped fitting and I replaced them. I have no intention of gaining weight, so I have no reason to keep them.

• gettinleanin2015
    gettinleanin2015 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I eBay'd mine as I went along with the logic that it would discourage me from putting on weight. I kind of wish I'd kept hold of some of the more RAF parachute stuff, as it would have been hell of a reality check.

I've gained back some of my original loss, however nowhere weigh nowhere near as much as I did originally. There's a couple of bits and pieces from the very last cull that I'm slightly regretful over!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I believe! :D I just donated all of them last week, with a single exception--one pair of work/carpenter pants that are 2 sizes too big. I need one pair of gardening/yard work/painting pants, and I love those ugly things (comfortable with a bunch of big pockets) ;)
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Mine are gone. Mrs Jruzer took care of that. We crossed the Rubicon.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    As soon as my clothes started looking ridiculous, I bought new ones and donated/sold the old ones. I kept a few of my larger tshirts for lazy days around the house and one pair of jeans so that I had jeans to wear to job sites.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Some of my "before" clothes still fit ok enough to wear, and I kept them. I'm glad I did because some personal problems made me gain some weight back. What I was dealing with in life was depressing enough, without having to buy bigger pants. ;) I'm glad I had a couple of stretchy jeans that would stretch enough.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    All my clothes that no longer fit go to my sister, as soon as they no longer fit. I'm not in maintenance yet, but I'm 70 pounds down.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think OP was referring to the generous cut of oompa loompa trousers:

oompa-loompa-34_zps19980ca0.jpg

I keep a few clothes around in my current size and one or two larger. I like knowing that I have some decent things to wear if my weight edges up a size again without me noticing.

I don't keep smaller "aspirational" sizes around.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    I have gone from size 22 to size 10. I always keep things that are one size too big, but not any more than that.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I gave away my fat clothes at the 2 year mark of maintenance. Seemed like time.
  • FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Donated what I could as I will never go back to wearing them again unless I'm wheelchair bound. I have kept a few things as reminders. All my military uniforms and a few articles of clothing. They're great reminders for when you feel like nothing is working and you question what your doing everything for.
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    A bunch of friends and I are planning a “Naked Lady” party. Everyone cleans out their closet of stuff that is too big, too small, whatever and brings it to the party. You are welcome to anything that anyone else brings. Two of us have lost a ton of weight. A couple have gained weight. Two have been cleaning out their parents’ house (these old folks have fabulous taste in clothes!). So we will have a wide assortment of sizes and styles. All the leftovers will go to a local women’s shelter. I’m currently in a 4 (just got there) and have put everything double digit in the box. The size 8’s are still segregated and may end up in the box, yet.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    As soon as it doesn't fit I get rid of it. No turning back now.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Because of YOU I bagged all my oompa loompa clothes to be donated. LOL I have a lot of room for new clothes!! YAY!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Because of YOU I bagged all my oompa loompa clothes to be donated. LOL I have a lot of room for new clothes!! YAY!

<3

Let's go shopping sista gurl!
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    A bunch of friends and I are planning a “Naked Lady” party. Everyone cleans out their closet of stuff that is too big, too small, whatever and brings it to the party. You are welcome to anything that anyone else brings. Two of us have lost a ton of weight. A couple have gained weight. Two have been cleaning out their parents’ house (these old folks have fabulous taste in clothes!). So we will have a wide assortment of sizes and styles. All the leftovers will go to a local women’s shelter. I’m currently in a 4 (just got there) and have put everything double digit in the box. The size 8’s are still segregated and may end up in the box, yet.

An excellent idea!