Fairly new, got some questions

Options
Hey guys, so i've been lurking around here for quite a white now, but only really started logging and dieting seriously since early Jan, so far its gone ok, quite a fast loss at the start and now a more steady one which I believe is a good thing.

However one thing always comes up while I try and work out a good life/dieting balance and thats social days, yeah they come and go and are often unavoidable meaning on those days I will end up going over my daily calorie goal. So really the question is, does anyone know generally how does the body work out its calorie intake, is it daily like MFP seems to do it, or weekly or every 2 or 3 days or every fortnight? I know i've weighed myself after a night going way over calories and not put weight on even a day after its still not happened so i'm sure its not 24 hours instant, is it safe to fluctuate calorie intake in a way for example to eat 1400 one day and then eating the leftover 300 the next day and still loose?

One final thing, does MFP have a setting to show calorie intake for a period of time so i can monitor my intake over say a week?

Thanks in advance (since my lurking here has taught me one thing, theres loads of helpful nice people on these forums).

Alex

Replies

• BeTheChange352
    BeTheChange352 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    think of your calories and weight loss on a week to week basis and focus on averaging those calories throughout the week if needed. if you want to eat 2000 calories per day you can eat 1800 one day and 2200 the next.

to look at your calories consumed over time there should be a reports tab on the top of the home page that will let you look at a wide range of different things over the period of a week or a month, something like that.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    think of your calories and weight loss on a week to week basis and focus on averaging those calories throughout the week if needed. if you want to eat 2000 calories per day you can eat 1800 one day and 2200 the next.

to look at your calories consumed over time there should be a reports tab on the top of the home page that will let you look at a wide range of different things over the period of a week or a month, something like that.

Great question! I agree with this answer. Your body doesn't stop burning calories and there's no reset button at midnight. You shouldn't think more than a few days out from other side, but there's nothing wrong with eating below your daily goal for a few days before and after you know you're going to go out and splurge a bit. Life happens and social events are a part of life. Learning how to deal with them now is important for being able to maintain your weight loss once you reach your goal.