2»

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    joneallen wrote: »
    You don't need weight training for a "toned six pack".

Low body fat percentage is all you need.

No exercise necessary.

Keep losing fat and they will get "toned".
    OK, serious question. I see you say things like this. Then in other threads you'll see people swear there's something special going on. "You have no idea how hard it is. The body holds on to vital stores, etc etc." So which is it? Does the body hold on to vital stores or is it just as simple as dieting down to some low number? And did you have to keep reducing your calories or were your losses steady?

During my contest prep, I do 3 sets of abs once a week. That just goes to show you it comes down to diet and body fat percentage.
    I get that. You have to get them to show through. I guess what I'm saying is this, I've lost a bunch of weight. People will say, "Meh, that's nothing. You were fat so it was easy to lose weight." But you'll see people who lost a small amount of weight say how super hard it was to get their abs to show through. My question is, why? What makes it harder?

EDIT: Side question, like if I slashed my calories to 500 a day I'd clearly be in a deficit. Would I send up with abs or would I send up "skinny fat?" That's kind of where my question comes from. Is there more needed than just a simple deficit?

I think many people get close to their goal and stop being accurate (they also don't have the lean mass required to have visible abs or a lean stomach). Ideally the closer you get to being lean the less your deficit should be. Your TDEE will drop along the way and your hormones will get more out of balance (especially during competition prep).

I know you are just itching to starve yourself because all you care about is that number on the scale. You ignore all of us who have given you advice. If you are really as accurate as you claim it is a hormonal issue (testosterone or leptin or maybe something else). By all means do what you want and eat as little as you can get away with. You will lose fat. You will lose lean mass. You will cause hormonal issues. You will rebound when you stop starving yourself. Congrats on making yet another thread about someone else turn into a thread about you.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

No exercise necessary.

OK, serious question. I see you say things like this. Then in other threads you'll see people swear there's something special going on. "You have no idea how hard it is. The body holds on to vital stores, etc etc." So which is it? Does the body hold on to vital stores or is it just as simple as dieting down to some low number? And did you have to keep reducing your calories or were your losses steady?

During my contest prep, I do 3 sets of abs once a week. That just goes to show you it comes down to diet and body fat percentage.
    I get that. You have to get them to show through. I guess what I'm saying is this, I've lost a bunch of weight. People will say, "Meh, that's nothing. You were fat so it was easy to lose weight." But you'll see people who lost a small amount of weight say how super hard it was to get their abs to show through. My question is, why? What makes it harder?

EDIT: Side question, like if I slashed my calories to 500 a day I'd clearly be in a deficit. Would I send up with abs or would I send up "skinny fat?" That's kind of where my question comes from. Is there more needed than just a simple deficit?

I think many people get close to their goal and stop being accurate (they also don't have the lean mass required to have visible abs or a lean stomach). Ideally the closer you get to being lean the less your deficit should be. Your TDEE will drop along the way and your hormones will get more out of balance (especially during competition prep).

I know you are just itching to starve yourself because all you care about is that number on the scale. You ignore all of us who have given you advice. If you are really as accurate as you claim it is a hormonal issue (testosterone or leptin or maybe something else). By all means do what you want and eat as little as you can get away with. You will lose fat. You will lose lean mass. You will cause hormonal issues. You will rebound when you stop starving yourself. Congrats on making yet another thread about someone else turn into a thread about you.

To-infinity-and-beyond.jpg
  • usmcmp
    Options

No exercise necessary.

I'm just asking the logical follow up to what SS said. He says you don't need to exercise. It's all about losing fat. That's all the matters.

He's wrong. You need low body fat and adequate lean mass to have a "toned stomach". Some people are lucky to naturally have that from a lifetime of being athletic, but most people are not.
  • LolBroScience
    edited February 2015
    Options

No exercise necessary.

I'm just asking the logical follow up to what SS said. He says you don't need to exercise. It's all about losing fat. That's all the matters.

He's wrong. You need low body fat and adequate lean mass to have a "toned stomach". Some people are lucky to naturally have that from a lifetime of being athletic, but most people are not.

Can confirm.... had pretty low bodyfat, with not very developed abs.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

No exercise necessary.

@BFDeal I'm reading everyday day after day after day people telling you to do things the certain way - change to plan B if plan A ain't working.

You are truly truly truly one lucky dude. I'm amazed how much support this community is giving you.

If I were you I would honestly listen to them.

You can't do same thing again and again and again and expect different results.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »

No exercise necessary.

@BFDeal I'm reading everyday day after day after day people telling you to do things the certain way - change to plan B if plan A ain't working.

You are truly truly truly one lucky dude. I'm amazed how much support this community is giving you.

I think the issue is there isn't a plan B. Some people say I'm eating too much. I feel like I'm eating as little as is practically possible. Some people say eat more for a while. But if I'm eating too much already won't I just start gaining weight? Others say ignore the scale? Why? I don't want to be this fat. I want to lose fat. If I lost the fat I would weigh less. I have to lose weight. It's a one to one connection between the scale and fat. And as for the doctor thing, they're not going to help. When I was at my heaviest all I got was a nutrition sheet for my time when I went in to ask for help. A sleep apnea test. Some cholesterol pills. doctors don't want you to lose weight. If you do you'll never go back.

If you don't go get blood work done you'll never know if you have a hormonal issue that is causing your problems. That should be step one. Figuring out if there is a problem beyond your control that can be fixed with medication.

Step two is making sure you are accurate and consistent. Logging as accurate as possible and hitting your calories and macros as close as possible.

Step three depends on your intake for step two. Either raise or lower your goal. If I was you I would continue to raise my calories while lifting and keep doing that over a year in effort to increase my maintenance (through fixing hormonal imbalances that doctor's tests don't include).
  • usmcmp
    Options

No exercise necessary.

I think the issue is there isn't a plan B. Some people say I'm eating too much. I feel like I'm eating as little as is practically possible. Some people say eat more for a while. But if I'm eating too much already won't I just start gaining weight? Others say ignore the scale? Why? I don't want to be this fat. I want to lose fat. If I lost the fat I would weigh less. I have to lose weight. It's a one to one connection between the scale and fat. And as for the doctor thing, they're not going to help. When I was at my heaviest all I got was a nutrition sheet for my time when I went in to ask for help. A sleep apnea test. Some cholesterol pills. doctors don't want you to lose weight. If you do you'll never go back.

If you don't go get blood work done you'll never know if you have a hormonal issue that is causing your problems. That should be step one. Figuring out if there is a problem beyond your control that can be fixed with medication.

Step two is making sure you are accurate and consistent. Logging as accurate as possible and hitting your calories and macros as close as possible.

Step three depends on your intake for step two. Either raise or lower your goal. If I was you I would continue to raise my calories while lifting and keep doing that over a year in effort to increase my maintenance (through fixing hormonal imbalances that doctor's tests don't include).

LOL well the upside is at least I wouldn't be hungry but you're basically telling a fat guy to take a year off and wait another year. This is why I don't buy the whole "eat, train, progress" motto people throw around. It just doesn't apply to some people. For me it's "eat, wait, stay the same."

Then starve yourself and end up right back where you are in a few years. At least you'll lose weight right now.
  • LolBroScience
    edited February 2015
    Options

No exercise necessary.

LOL well the upside is at least I wouldn't be hungry but you're basically telling a fat guy to take a year off and wait another year. This is why I don't buy the whole "eat, train, progress" motto people throw around. It just doesn't apply to some people. For me it's "eat, wait, stay the same."

No worse then spinning your wheels and complaining about your current state. At least you'll be able to cut again in the future on higher calories.

ce2.png
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

No exercise necessary.

BFDeal

How many times from how many people over how many weeks are you going to have exactly the same advice given to you before you stop just complaining and do something about it...or resign yourself to staying fat?

The one thing I can guarantee is continually shooting your mouth off and usurping threads is not enough exercise to balance out your excessive calorie intake
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    what do you do if you have bad knees ? What kind of weight training is safe?

Talk with a PT or your MD.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

No exercise necessary.

EDIT: This is probably what I'll be forced to do since weight loss has become a waste of time anyways so I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it's BS compared to every other person who's here. They lose their weight then they start bulking. Me, I just get "wait and see." I read BroScience's profile. He was ashamed to be 230. Me, I gotta live with it. I read an interview by SideSteel once where he talked about how he had a size 38 pants once and was so down on it. That's my size now. Why shouldn't I want to change? All the guys who did crap on how they used to look and I'm basically their before picture.

They didn't whine about it endlessly ...they did something about it and when that stopped working they refocused and tried harder ...side steel has a stickied thread about logging properly and plateaus

Work on your weight or your self-acceptance
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    What if I want an un-toned 6 pack? Perhaps we could get a sticky on the topic...

You are bad. So bad. :D
  • mbcieslak87
    mbcieslak87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    BFDeal - it sounds like you have some other issues to deal with besides just weight loss. The number one predictor of weight loss is realizing that the weight loss is your responsibility alone. The second is realizing that CICO is ALWAYS the answer when it comes down to it... achieve that however you like, but that is what will get the scale moving again.

If you are really truly being extremely honest with yourself and are absolutely positive you are in a deficit and are still not losing for weeks on end (you talk about starving yourself like an anorexic at 1200 calories- not anorexic 1st off - and yet your caloric goal is over 2000, so there's a disconnect there) then you need to talk to a doctor.

And let me end by saying your distain for doctors is completely derogatory, misguided, and disrespectful. While I'm sure that there are corrupt doctors out there, the vast majority are not... and no they do not want you to stay sick so you continue coming back. That is ridiculous - in fact, most of them are so overwhelmed with high patient loads - so NO they don't need you stay sick. Most have a burning passion to help people, not just to get rich; there are far too many other professions that require far less schooling and have far better work hours for someone to become a doctor just for the salary. So I ask, did you actually take their advice? Did they refer you to a dietician or to have bloodwork done? Or did you just write them off? If you really feel like the person you saw was a quack, did you seek a second opinion?
    Sorry to be so opinionated about doctors, but I have spent my entire life in the medical field around doctors and nurses and public health officials and physical therapists and respiratory therapists and everything else in between - and I have never met a corrupt one - harsh yes... tells you what you don't want to hear - sure - because they want dime-a-dozen cases like you to actually deal with their problems, so they have time for the interesting cases and for the people who actually need their help.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

No exercise necessary.

Yes, he is very wrong.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I'll just say, in my many years of being in the fitness community both online and in real life, I have never met anyone with a good looking 6 pack that didn't exercise. Not a single person. That's not to say you need to do a specific exercise, or that diet isn't a huge component, but again, if someone got a good looking 6 pack doing no exercise, I've not met them.

Personally I do not do any direct abdominal work. I get most of my core strength from doing heavy compound movements. That plus diet can get you a 6 pack. I know runners and bikers with 6 packs that do not lift at all. The endurance athlete usually looks very different than the strength athlete but at the end of the day they can both has an aesthetic looking abdominal region. Despite the VAST difference between these 2 groups, they have 2 things in common. They have a low body fat percentage, and they exercise.