where do i start with weights

Options
im currently focussing alot on cardio but only dabbling in weight machines...do i use a higher weight with fewer reps or lower weight with higher reps

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Why do you want to start lifting? Answer that and we can give you more meaningful advice.

Speaking very generally, get on a full body routine that you can do 2-3x week. Ideally, look for something that tells you how much weight to lift and how/when to increase that weight. An established, boxed program like New Rules, Starting Strength, StrongLifts, etc are all fine, but there are lots of options out there. Body weight routines are fine. Machines are fine. Free weights are fine. Something custom from a trainer is fine.

Once you get a routine, learn the lifts/movements. Many gyms offer orientation sessions. Trainers can help. There's a wealth of info on youtube.
  • RealLifeRissa
    RealLifeRissa Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I am interested in this post- I am also wanting to add some weights to my weekly routine. I have spent a year working hard on my weight and nutrition- my mainstay being walking then adding jogging intervals after I got to the point I could. I am down 75+ pounds now and in much better shape than where I began but still wanting to build strength and tone- esp after my weight loss. I want to build muscle and get stronger along with toning some areas. I currently do 3+ miles of walking/jogging intervals a few times a week and do some cardio but not routinely enough (plan on adding this 2-3 X per week). I would like to know a good basic routine and weight amount to start with. I met with a trainer but he was no help. He wanted me to stop what I am currently doing and do only 20 mins on a treadmill per day to start and nothing else and refused to work with me on any weights as he said it was pointless for me as a woman. I totally disagreed with everything he said- so I am wanting some advice on where to start with this on my own at home. I do not want to be a competitive BB but I do think some weight training added to my efforts will benefit my core and increase my metabolism and make me stronger overall. I have free weights to use to start.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It will depend on your goals.
    - Low reps (3 - 5) - muscular strength
    - Medium reps (6 - 10) - muscular mass
    - High reps (11 - 25) - muscular endurance

These rep schemes assume you’re using the highest weight possible to get 3 - 5 sets done with good form, but struggling to get the last rep or two done at that weight. Once you’re consistently lifting a given weight in that range, it is time to increase the weight.