15 minute mark

Options
The more exercise I do, I have realised that no matter what I am doing (swimming, walking, bike, etc.) the first 15 minutes are really difficult. I am tired, feel blah, and just not into any sort of mental head space to do it. Once those 15 minutes pass though, something "clicks" and I feel great and could go for hours. This means my warm up is often the worst part of my workout, and by the time I'm done, I'm buzzing and have to force myself to slow down to cool down because I'm enjoying myself so much.

I'm curious if anyone else has experienced something similar?

Replies

• rnjcb
    rnjcb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. If I can get dressed to work out, and get through the first 10-15 minutes I'm usually good to go. Occasionally I just don't have the "drive" even after the first few minutes, but that's not very often.
    Let's here it for endorphins!! Yay!!!
  • 5BeautifulDays
    5BeautifulDays Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Yes. And even when I've been with my trainer first and then do some cardio, the first 10-15 minutes are just *boring* until I get in the groove.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    When I run, it doesn't matter how long I warm up by walking beforehand, the first 10 minutes of my actual run are really hard. I go through a whole "Oh man, why am I doing this? This is the worst thing on earth. I hate this. When can I stop? Oh look, here comes a car. Maybe it will run me over and put me out of my misery" thing. After that, it's smooth sailing and I'm all "Wheee! This is fun!"
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Interesting! Nice to know that I'm not alone in hating the first part of my workout. There must be some happy endorphins that kick in, or psychological explanation for it.
  • spacelump
    spacelump Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    When I run, it doesn't matter how long I warm up by walking beforehand, the first 10 minutes of my actual run are really hard. I go through a whole "Oh man, why am I doing this? This is the worst thing on earth. I hate this. When can I stop? Oh look, here comes a car. Maybe it will run me over and put me out of my misery" thing. After that, it's smooth sailing and I'm all "Wheee! This is fun!"

So, I really appreciated this because I'm new (well, ran before but starting back up) to running. Right now, despite not being overweight at all, I struggle mentally sooo hard to get past the 8 min mark. I keep waiting for the "yeah, I'm a badass", runners high feeling I use to get and it's not coming. Maybe a few minutes longer. Keep it up! It's always treacherous in the beginning.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Your experience is normal, research endorphins.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This is so true for me as well. If I can just make it the first mile I am good to go but some days it feels like the first mile is like 20 miles.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    first 5 min on the stair master seem easy- then 5-10 seem like i'm going to literally DIE and I'll never take another step again.

I can usually get to 15-30 depending on how much free time I have- but yeah- it's miserable. Running it's the 3-10 mark I struggle with- the first 2 min is usually okay- but after that yeah- I'm miserable.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Many of my workouts are like that, firsst 15 minutes or so kinda sucks... then the groove is in the house and boom.

You get to rockin' it. I think it might be wise to waste that first 15 on something banal, like a bike or rower to warm up.