Sugar Free Lent

Options
I am by no means advocating cutting out any food from a diet completely, however, for Lent I've decided to do my best to give up refined sugar. Sweets are a serious trigger food for me, and since I'm trying to be healthier all the way around, I need to get control over this problem. I already work out plenty, including boxing, some resistance work, and cardio. My diet is pretty varied, and I try (and often fail) to eat nutritionally dense food. But then sometimes I want a cookie. Then another. And then one after that. While we're at it, how about a piece of cake?

I could use some friends, I could use some tips, I could use some encouragement!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I think you're completely missing the whole point of the Lenten season.
  • soobie
    soobie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you can judge her motivation holly. Giving up something requires sacrifice and if she is giving it up for Lent she may be offering that sacrifice up. She will also be improving her health and I think Jesus probably would approve of us trying to treat our body more as a temple than a tent.
    I gave up sugar a few years ago and though it was difficult, I felt incredible and saw very positive health benefits Lemmynade. I'll support you and I'm going to try to get back on the wagon.
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Nah, I know exactly what the Lenten season is all about: I'm a Catholic school kid. Although now, as a non-practicing Catholic, I will admit to using Lent as a guide to self-betterment. This is a real challenge for me, something I haven't done before, and the constraints and boundaries that Lent provides is a guide. Also, I'm basically an awesome person who does unto others as she would have done unto herself... and year round.

Besides, I know non-Christians who give up vices during Lent too as a personal challenge. 40 days is tough whether God is involved or not.

Also, I'm not here for moral or religious purposes, I'm asking for support for the next 40 days as I try to kick my sugar habit.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Lemmynade wrote: »
    Nah, I know exactly what the Lenten season is all about: I'm a Catholic school kid. Although now, as a non-practicing Catholic, I will admit to using Lent as a guide to self-betterment. This is a real challenge for me, something I haven't done before, and the constraints and boundaries that Lent provides is a guide. Also, I'm basically an awesome person who does unto others as she would have done unto herself... and year round.

Besides, I know non-Christians who give up vices during Lent too as a personal challenge. 40 days is tough whether God is involved or not.

Also, I'm not here for moral or religious purposes, I'm asking for support for the next 40 days as I try to kick my sugar habit.

Except you're not trying to kick your sugar habit as you've given yourself an easy out by saying you're only cutting "refined sugar" whatever that is. For instance is sucrose refined or naturally occurring?
  • TinaGA2015
    TinaGA2015 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think it's great ! I give something up for Lent every year. Most years it's coffee ( which I drink every day) I have given up sugar too in years past. I try to make it something that is hard for me and makes me remember why I am doing it. Sending you a FR
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    This thread has been locked due to the following community guideline:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

Please feel free to take this conversation to a group, or even to create a group to discuss Lent.

Regards,
    davis_em
This discussion has been closed.