Marathon training and weight loss

Currently training for a marathon and having a lot of trouble keeping weight off. Has anyone else tried to lose weight while training for a marathon, or any other endurance races for that matter? Does anyone have tips on doing this while still getting the carbs you need? Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Probably not much help, The 1st time I trained for a half, I had difficulty losing weight. I had to keep a VERY minimal calorie deficit.
    But when I have done marathon training, especially in the higher mileage weeks I was stuffing down lots of food just to maintain.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    There should be no shortage of marathon training guides.
    Personally, I could never run a marathon. Arthritis in my feet.
    One of my brothers ran his first when he was 39. I'll check with him to see what training guide he used.
    He has run at least 4 so far.

The only marathon I hope to do is the equivalent of an Olympic marathon swim, 10km.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    I managed to gain 4 pounds over the last 8 weeks of marathon training. I could have probably eaten less, but dammit, I was hungry!

It's not uncommon to gain during the later phases of marathon training. That being said, I lost during the previous Springs HM training cycle in which I peaked out at 72 miles per week. So, yes, it is possible to lose during high mileage training. The most important exercise you can do is pushing away from the table.