Trust The Process

I keep telling myself this. Over and over and over again.

Please understand, this is all very new to me. I've bounced around in my weight over the years and it's time to get serious ... and I am.

I joined a gym 3 minutes from my house. I don't have much time to exercise as I work a ridiculous amount of hours but I have carved out 45 minutes every morning to get to the gym.

I met with a trainer. I do 10 minutes of cardio, weight training and then another 10 minutes of cardio.

The weight training works different areas on different days .... almost always 4 exercises/machines each day plus the cardio.

Trust the process. Trust the process......

I've honed my eating to high protein, low carb (as that is what works for me).

96-112 oz of water every single day.

I feel absolutely WONDERFUL but after two weeks I'm afraid to get on the scale. The trainer I met with who set up my program told me probably best not to ... right away.

Everything I read is weight training + some cardio is the key to getting this weight off.

Trust the process.

(sigh)

I'm not giving up but I don't want to be disappointed again either! I used to go to the gym before (5 or so years ago) and work out on the elliptical for probably an hour or more, SOME weight machines but never kept with the machines for longer than say a couple of weeks because I don't think I was seeing any results.

Trust the process.

Can someone HELP ME TRUST THIS PROCESS!?!?!?! I've never done weight machines on a regular basis and I'm going to the gym at 4:45 every single morning without fail (for that alone, I'm proud of myself!!) and following the routine he has set up for me. I feel the burn (oh man do I feel it!!) and I never thought I would SWEAT like I do using weight machines. I took my measurements when I started but I don't want to take them again for another two weeks (that'll make a full 4 weeks of this program).

I guess I just need some support. I go to the gym alone. I don't go out to lunch with the gals from work. My husband eats everything and anything he wants as do my daughters. So I'm really alone in this and could use some support.

Replies

• ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    I read you post and the thing I take away from it is that you're afraid of failing. And that's normal. But becoming more healthy and fit is not an objective that has a finish or completing. So there is no such thing as failing. Living a healthy lifestyle is a process, just like sleeping and drinking.

Being afraid to fail at healthy living is like being afraid to fail at sleeping or drinking water. Once you commit to healthy living, you're already doing it. Sure there are times that people will go through periods of inactivity or poor eating. It's just like sometimes you're going have those toss-and-turn nights of insomnia, and sometimes you're gonna choke when the water goes down the wrong pipe. But that doesn't mean you've failed at sleep, or failed at drinking.

All you have to do is put yourself in the best position to live a more healthy lifestyle, and apply some effort to get you going. Joining a gym and getting a trainer are great examples of this - amongst the best examples I can imagine. You've put yourself in the best position to live more healthy. It's like avoiding caffeine and scary movies before going to bed, or avoiding timing a drink just as a comedian tells the punchline to a joke. heh.

OK, setting aside my terrible analogies :P ... here are a couple of things that I would ask you to consider:

1. Don't set long-term goals/expectations. But if you need to know that you're not failing, then set short-term, obtainable goals that show progress. For example, keep track of the weight levels you're doing in strength training. And try to go increase the weight of 2-3 exercises each week. Try to increase the speed or incline or resistance of a cardio machine by a certain amount every other week. No matter what the scale says, if you're doing this, then you're becoming more fit.

2. You mention that your diet is high protein, low carb. I can't see your diary so I don't know what that entails, nor do I know what your overall caloric budget, but double-check to see that it's sufficient (not too low/not too high). If you want to open your diary (make it public from the settings menu), others may provide some helpful feedback there if it's even needed. It sounds like you're good here though.

3. Trust yourself. Knowing that you are more healthier and more fit than you were when you first started should count for something. If you want to assess how you're doing, then measurements, how the clothes fit, and taking pictures will be just as beneficial (if not more) than your weight on a scale.

It stinks that you don't have family/co-workers who share your passion for living more healthy and fit. My wife was going to the gym fore YEARS before I gave up the videogames and crap food. But eventually I saw the results on her, and was inspired. So hopefully in time, the people around you will be similarly inspired?

I normally say "good luck" but I don't think you'll need it. It seems to me that you're already committed to healthy living. And for that, I say "congrats!" Well done!