Meal Prep

Options
Can anyone give me advise on what meals I can make over the weekend for the week? Healthy, quick and yummy meals. Thank you!

Replies

• int3rpo1
    int3rpo1 Posts: 17
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Greek yogurt with almonds and half a scoop of protein powder is my go-to breakfast. Just make sure you portion everything and count those calories. =)
  • Annette1270
    Annette1270 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I make cauliflower soup every week with a salad.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Jar Salads - use Quart size wide mouth jars. Put dressing at the bottom, layer with chopped veggies first like carrots, celery, cucumbers, peppers, add protein next like meat or beans, add lettuce until full but you can delicate items at the very top like nuts, herbs, cheeses.

Stacking the items in the jar keeps the food from getting soggy. Keeps it very fresh as you can make 5 in advance and grab n go.

Here are some examples: https://www.pinterest.com/simpsonjl/mason-jar-salads/

Also they are CUTE!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I like to cook up a bunch of rice (brown or white, doesn't matter), and then portion it out in 1/2 cup servings, pop it into ziplocs and freeze it. Easy to grab a pack and zap it in the microwave with some grilled chicken (also a good one to marinate and cook up over the weekend so you have it for the week) and some pinto or black beans, top it with some shredded cheese, salsa, avocado, plain greek yogurt = awesome and easy burrito bowl.

Honestly, just about any recipe you like, make a double batch, then you have leftovers for the week for lunch and/or dinner.
  • crystalewhite
    crystalewhite Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Grill extra meats, portion vegetables, fruits, nuts into containers so you can grab and go. I also measure out my protein powder on Sunday for the week.
    For my smoothies and salads, I put all my greens into a salad spinner so they are clean but won't get soggy.
  • jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I generally try to swap out processed "fake" foods with "real" whole foods and I do this by taking a given recipe and tailoring it to my needs. An example is spaghetti.

Tomato sauce is good and healthy, but the jarred stuff is loaded with sodium. Make your own by buying some big tomatoes and dice them up or buy diced tomatoes in the can (no salt added is preferable). Two big cans will do nicely to eat off of throughout the week. Season with your favorite spices (maybe some Italian seasoning, a bit of salt and pepper, etc).

I like sausage with my spaghetti, but it has the same problem with sodium. It is also loaded with unhealthy fats. I have been buying the ground turkey "Italian Style", which still has a good deal of sodium, but isn't too bad considering it's spread out over several servings. The same can be said of the fat content. You can make your own a day ahead or earlier in the day if you care that much. I recently made my own breakfast sausage and it tastes much better than anything you can buy in the store.

I don't see much of a nutritional benefit to pasta, so I substitute it out with something else. Most recently I have tried it with Zucchini spaghetti which is great because I am getting more veggies in my diet and it is lower in carbs and calories in general. You can also try Spaghetti squash for a low carb and calorie alternative.
  • mom_teresa
    Options
    We recently made ten slow-cooker freezer meals, and it's been great for dinners and lunches. You just dump all the ingredients in these recipes into the crockpot in the morning.
    There are always leftovers that make really great lunches.

I'm new, so I don't know how to link to my recipes, but they are available to everyone. Did I do it right?
    Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore - Serve over Ronzoni Garden Delight noodles

Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken - Serve over brown rice (I liked it by itself)

Slow Cooker Jambalaya - We have not tried this one yet
  • lauraldrum
    lauraldrum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe blog and the newest 15 recipes are low carb/low fat/high protein recipes. I have step-by-step pictures too! I have about 8 new ones to post and more on the way!

https://facebook.com/thefoodistachronicles