Cheat Days?

Options
What are your opinions for using a cheat day in your MFP food plan?

Do/Don't?
How often?
What works/doesn't work?

Replies

• int3rpo1
    Options
    Cheat day or cheat meal?
  • ejuliano85
    ejuliano85 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Granted I am just starting this week, but it would be interested to see other people's perspectives. Mostly because I am going to an NHL game this Friday and will be drinking a lot of calories...and maybe out to dinner before the game.

So for me it will be a cheat meal.
  • sorweide20
    Options
    I have seen a cheat day once a week work for others but for me it is a no go! I find it really hard to get back on track and I find that it triggers those dreadful cravings for me that I struggle with so much already. However I have friends that swear by them and they have had excellent weight loss. I stongly believe it depends on the individual.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    Eat food, log, don't label what you do as anything. It's just eating and lifestyle etc, don't put so much thought into things. Take breaks if desired, etc.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Cheat meals every so often - yes.

Cheat days - save for Christmas day.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do not have cheat days. Yes, I do have days when I overeat. Cheat days sound to me like you are planning to overeat which just seems wrong to me. Special occasions like parties, holidays, dinner out, etc. I plan the best I can, enjoy myself, log them no matter how much I ate and move on.
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat day usually on Sat or Sun usually when I go out to eat. It helps me not get sick of diet food.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I don't plan days where I can go wild on calories. That isn't part of my long term goal to reward myself with more food.

I do have days where I go over occasionally - not planned, not crazy calories, and not very often.

I eat very well and really delicious food on a daily basis and don't feel deprived at all.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i have a major indulgent day once every couple of months

its niiccce
  • essjaecee321
    Options
    Even the average bodybuilder insists sometimes on the so called cheat day/meal. Treat your self and don't think of it as cheating, more like taking a break from the strict dieting. It's even found in a couple health articles I've read up on. Enjoy the take away as much as the fat kid loves his cake :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point to it. Best case scenario I'm bloated and hungry later. Worst case, I'm exhausted, bloated, hungry and sick to my stomach later. Usually, the things that are supposed to be treats don't actually taste very good anyway, definitely not good enough to offset the aftermath.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I incorporate what I want into my macro/calorie/micro goal for the day, so I am not into the cheat meal/cheat day philosophy, as that implies that some foods are "bad" and I do not believe in applying moralistic values to food.

eat what you want, and just incorporate it into your goal for the day. If you go over no biggie, just don't make a habit out of it.

Do I have days when I over eat, yes; are they cheat days, no...

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    i don't cheat.

I just eat. either I'm on goal or not. Some days I accept that I am not on goal (Christmas- birthdays' etc)
    - But most of the time it's a matter of averages.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't care for the word cheat, as I'm not doing anything wrong. I make room for what I want to eat in my daily allowances. If you go over, log it and move on.
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend a cheat day. It sounds like a free pass to do a lot of damage. I am realistic about dieting though. I think that it is perfectly fine to splurge on a meal that makes you happy after working hard all week. This approach seems to help focus on making the most of the calories you eat. Just remember that it takes 3,500 calories to burn a pound. The ratio of diet to exercise is heavily towards the diet end to achieve good consistent weight loss.
    I hope this helps!
  • saires_au
    saires_au Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I really don't like the term 'cheat'. If I know there is an event I will enjoy eating/drinking higher calories than I would normally have in a day I try and plan for it.

I eat slightly less during the working week to allow some extra calories on the weekend, (which is where I'm a social eater). my goal is 1650cal so eating 100-150 less for 5 days isn't a big challenge for me I also don't eat back many exercise calories until the weekend. I maintain the same deficit over the week and it's much more do able for me.

I have lost 9.3kg so far and don't feel deprived and I believe it's a lifestyle I can maintain long term. Flexibility is good.
  • MeiannaLee
    MeiannaLee Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I dont do the whole cheat day/meal. I dont crave burgers and pizza much anymore. (Then again I havent eaten red meat in 7 years so that contributes to lack of indulgence)

Instead, when I want something sweet Ill go get froyo. Or if I want something salty, Ill have miso soup lol

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I had a "cheat day" yesterday because there was an office pot luck. I just didn't log that day and ate what i wanted and didn't worry about calories. Logging would have been a pain in the butt so I just didn't do it. I did probably eat too much but I don't regret anything. Just taking a break.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I eat doughnuts, pasteries and, candy often from time to time but as long as its in moderation that is the key.
    Its when you over indulge and eat half the box of sweets or whatever including all your other meals can this become a real problem.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I don't plan cheat meals. If I know I'm going to eat at a restaurant or go to a party or drink, I try to work that into my calories for the day. If I go over, I just make up for it the next few days with a bigger deficit.

The only thing I really consider "cheating" personally is when I eat something that I didn't plan for - like today when I randomly had a second lunch, a po boy slider after a healthy lunch :\