Newbie at the gym

Options
I just joined the gym today and I'm a newbie. I want to focus more on strength than cardio. I don't have the extra cash for a trainer, so I'm trying to come up with workouts on my own. I'm 34, obese (60-70 lbs overweight), and I have a bad knee. Today I did 2 sets of 8 reps on the bicep curl and chest press machines, after I spent 30 minutes on the elliptical. I could have done more, but was a little overwhelmed with all those weight machines. Tomorrow I plan to do strength first. I feel like I need a game plan or exercise schedule. How do you come up with your work out schedule or gym routine? Thank you, in advance.

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I am surprised your gym didn't offer a free session to show you the machines. Maybe call them and ask. Most gyms will do that.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yes, I agree... my gym did a session with a trainer for free to do just that.
  • 7seas_sailing
    7seas_sailing Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Don't be afraid to push them a bit for intoductory services. It's part of what you're paying for.
  • bluesarah13
    bluesarah13 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, do the free gym session thing. Also, there are a TON of free websites that show you how to do things. Here's a great link to Mayo clinic's collection: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/fitness/in-depth/strength-training/art-20046031
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Look up StrongLifts 5x5 -- they have videos to show you the lifts as well as a lot of good information.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Even in gyms that don't have trainers, the staff WILL walk you around the machines and demonstrate use. So that's a resource, as JillMarie above said.

I'm enjoying "The New Rules of Lifting for Women," which is a progressive heavy lifting program. But I admit I had qualms about my knees at the beginning. I am a bunch older than you too, so I've gone pretty gently and so far so good. That program is unfortunately available only as a book which costs a little cash.

Use your internet too - I have no trainer, but have had good luck searching for videos on form for certain exercises.

That said, cardio burns calories and if getting your weight down is a priority, you might want to consider a higher mix of cardio for a while - just because weight down equals pressure off knees and more freedom to do certain strength exercises.

Good luck, I was new to the weight room last month and was pretty self-conscious the first few times. But now it feels totally okay to be in there, the sole gray haired woman lifting teeny weights lol! You can do this!!
  • stevesgirl824
    stevesgirl824 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your suggestions and ideas!!
  • stevesgirl824
    Options
    Today I did about 5 different leg machines and then I did the ellipitical (weight loss interval) for 35 minutes. I feel great! I think I will ask about the intro, just so I dont feel so overwhelmed in that section of the gym.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    After years of doing nothing, I started back at my Y last March and got hooked. The first couple weeks I was embarrassed due to my weight, "inexperience" and wore old baggy sweatshirts to hide under. I started slow with cardio only at first and increased a little each time. I then began experimenting with different weight training exercises - machines, cable machines, curl bar, body weight exercises (did a ton of body squats in the sauna) then tried free weights.
    -
    Look at others at your gym for tips, search the internet, etc and find something that works for you - and increase a little each session, week, month, etc.

Look for other things to keep you motivated - new gym outfit, new shoes, new songs on the ipod, etc
  • stevesgirl824
    Options
    After years of doing nothing, I started back at my Y last March and got hooked. The first couple weeks I was embarrassed due to my weight, "inexperience" and wore old baggy sweatshirts to hide under. I started slow with cardio only at first and increased a little each time. I then began experimenting with different weight training exercises - machines, cable machines, curl bar, body weight exercises (did a ton of body squats in the sauna) then tried free weights.
    -
    Look at others at your gym for tips, search the internet, etc and find something that works for you - and increase a little each session, week, month, etc.

Look for other things to keep you motivated - new gym outfit, new shoes, new songs on the ipod, etc

Thank you for the awesome tips!!
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    No problem...just give it time and it will pay off.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    Download the Jefit app on your phone. It has alot of great routines with videos showing form for each move. It really helped me alot when I first started at the gym. Good luck :smile:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Starting strength
    Strong lifts
    New Rules of Lifting
    Strong Curves
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Don't be afraid to push them a bit for intoductory services. It's part of what you're paying for.

100% agree.
    they all have a duty of care to ensure you know what you are doing and working out safely.
    my gym orientation including a medical check up,90 min of instructor showing how to use equipment and getting me on each piece too.
    ended with a personalised programme that is reviewed with medical every 3 months.
    all part of the service.
    utilise as much as you can.

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Go to your library and take out books on weight lifting. Don't worry if information in one book goes against the information in another book. There are thousands of programs and most will work IF you stick with them and are consistent.

Also, pending on what is the problem with your knee, take out the trigger point therapy handbook while you are at the library.
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    There are lots of resources out there, I highly recommend "Strength Training for Women" by Lori Incledon. A great resource that goes from beginner to advanced. You can get it on Amazon, comes in kindle edition now too.

I used it in the beginning of my 'journey' and still refer to it from time to time.
  • LazyFoodie
    LazyFoodie Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    A trainer is great if you can afford it but not necessary to get a good program going. Lots of free resources online to find a program to follow and learn how to properly lift. Try bodybuilding.com. I do Stronglifts 5x5 because its simple, has a free phone app and you only have to learn 5 lifts but that is certainly not the only program out there. Do some research and find one you think you would be able to do and stick to.
  • azdaisy2
    azdaisy2 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is great for finding combinations of exercises to put together. I started using the machines at first because they are designed to help you maintain decent form. After awhile I switched to free weights because I can control the weight better and I feel like I get a better workout.

Good luck!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Agreed, Pinterest has some great workouts. I use them a lot when I have to travel for work. I would also check with your gym to see if there is someone that can show you the ropes.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have classes? If so, see if they have Body Pump on the schedule. It's not a class I personally take, but it will teach you tons of lifts (with good form, if you have a good instructor) using barbells. Then you can use those skills as a basis for moving onto the barbells in the weight room with a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts.

A lot of people really like New Rules of Lifting for Women too.