Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

HELP! How do you stay under 1500 calories per day?

After losing 20 kgs and keeping most of it off for a few years now, I have decided to loose another 6 kgs to get to my desired body shape. However, I am really struggling to keep under the recommended calorie intake given to me by my pt. Anyone out there have any suggestions on making it a little easier for me so I can stay below and hopefully lose the extra kilo's?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Your PT has determined your weight?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Depends - do you exercise, and if so, do you eat back the burned cals?

Also wondering since you mentioned wanting to get to a desire body shape, that maybe what you're looking for is body recomp rather than just weight loss? If so, maybe look into a good lifting program, eating at a small calorie deficit for fat loss, with plenty of good protein for those muscles.
  • LetrellC
    LetrellC Posts: 20 Member
    Not knowing what you eat, a few thoughts...fresh produce, lower sugar intake to 20g or less, eat more often and smaller amounts. Remember fruits have a lot of sugar, so limit those but still eat them. Drink a lot of water. Hope it helps a bit.
  • No, I determined my goal weight and it is within the healthy body range (I am quite tall so it sounds like a lot but not for my height).

Yes I exercise everyday/sometimes once a day and I am lifting weights (Although I am still a beginner). I do try to eat a bit of protein and protein shakes etc but maybe not enough and this is why I am still hungry? I have been told you only need to have 1g of per kg of body weight? What do you guys think of this?

I drink lots of water Letrell, but maybe too much fruit? Sometimes I have three lots of fruit a day although I do try to limit it to two.

AmyRhubard what is a small calorie deficit?

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    With a little weight to lose, being tall, daily exercise and lifting (which I am assuming you do to build muscle, since you said you want to change your body shape), I doubt 1500 is a very realistic number.
  • Yeah I am thinking that as well. Maybe more like 1700. I do not want to eat away all the extra calories I burn though which is normally more than 200 anyway
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Yeah I am thinking that as well. Maybe more like 1700. I do not want to eat away all the extra calories I burn though which is normally more than 200 anyway

Have you tried using the MFP calculator to get a baseline number? MFP does not take into account workouts, only the amount of activity you get in your everyday life (e.g. if your job means you're walking around 8 hour a day). With 6 kg to lose and wanting to preserve muscle, you should probably aim for the slowest rate of weight loss possible in order to ensure as much of it is fat and as little of it is your body cannibalizing your muscles!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/my_goals
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I never had to eat less than 1600.
  • paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    I agree with the pp that said a recomp. If you're close to your goal weight then the idea is to eat at your TDEE or very close to it and build muscle which then in turn helps your body to burn off the excess body fat. But this works in conjunction with lifting. I'm not sure it would work out the same if all you're doing is cardio.

As for staying below a low calorie limit...part of burning fat with a calorie deficit is gonna involve some hunger. Eat plenty of veg to bulk up your diet, also keeping my protein high also helps out a ton.