need major help

Options
I am very overweight bmi of 53.3 (male 5'6" 330)
im trying to get right
im having problems working out being on the tread mill for more then 10 minutes or so kills my back and lower legs

unfortunately I don't have a pool at my gym I am already starting to lower my calories and will be tracking my food again in the am
I know the road is going to be hard but I have a son coming in June and he is worth it
ill take any positive advise that can be given keep the negative as I know how I got in this position and i feel like crap over that daily

Thanks in advance

Replies

• dawniemate
    dawniemate Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Any time spent on the treadmill has to be good for you. ..remember small steps..healthy food, exercise all burns the fat away. It doesn't go on over night so you can't expect to lose it quickly. Good luck
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight just by eating less. The walking should get easier as you lose weight and your joints, muscles, etc. don't have to carry such a heavy burden. Also, if you do some exercises to strengthen your core, it might help ease the back pain.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Of course it's hard ...it's because you're carrying a lot of weight. You don't even need a treadmill. You could choose to just walk round a block and build from there ...it is remarkable how quickly you can build your stamina and strength

Don't start to lower calories...do it completely and COMMIT

You don't need an easy in ...you need to use your willpower to learn how to eat appropriately, learn food choices and portion sizes

You've got this!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    You can do this! :)
    The most important thing you can here is what you already stated -- track everything in the diary everyday.
    Instead of the treadmill, can you find a place to walk 5 mins?
    (Do not do workouts that hurt. Maybe look for some sitting exercises on YouTube -- like chair boxing.)

If you want, instead of only focusing on foods to cut out or cut down, you can add a new food into your plan each week.
    Low calorie and nutrient dense foods include lots of frozen, fresh, or canned veggies such as broccoli, swiss chard, kale, spinach, romaine, cabbage, mushrooms, asparagus, okra, cauliflower, bell peppers, snow peas, eggplant, zucchini, yellow squash, winter squash, brussels sprouts, cucumbers.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for overall health, but it is not absolutely necessary to lose weight. Its all about the calorie deficit, and make sure you figure out correctly what yours should be. Like the other posters said, walking around the block is a great start, you can work more exercise in as you lose weight. My husband started out at around 360 pounds and has lost 130 pounds so far using MFP. We both started exercising very gradually, now he strength trains five days a week and is starting to look pretty buff!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Walk in place in front of the television for three or four minutes at a time several times. Always park at the far end of the parking lot. Lift some weights while sitting down. If you have the money, get a personal trainer. Your son needs you.
  • Khukhullatus
    Khukhullatus Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    You might try grabbing an exercise ball and seeing if you can find some seated position workouts online. I had one of those for my old desk, and just holding myself upright on it all day seemed to help my core. The balls are soft, so there usually isn't much in the way of jarring, and every little bit helps.

It's not going to do anything great for the ego, but if it's a specific leg that is hurting you might try firing up a cane and taking some walks around the block. My friend used one after a knee injury and he said it tripled what he could do for physical therapy. They can actually be moderately stylish too.

If you start dropping lbs, I think you are going to be surprised how fast the aches in your legs go away. Just by virtue of lifting your body weight regularly, you are going to have some seriously strong muscles in there. I know of where I speak. I was three hundred thirty-three lbs last year, and it only took maybe thirty lbs before I went from my knees aching after a mile or two, to being able to handle a pretty steady jog, and walking five miles or so a day.

Just go super slow, listen to your body, and trust that as the lbs come off, things are going to change for you.

Congratulations on your son, and I'm proud of you for doing something so great for him.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Losing weight starts with eating less calories than you burn..so in the kitchen.

Getting fit starts by moving more and will help you to lose weight.

I started the first of October 2014 with my life style change.
    Counting calories. I weigh every solid food and measure every liquid.

Half October i started walking on the treadmill. 18 minutes of walking ( was not even a half mile) and soaking in sweat. My clothes were hanging on me and sweat dripping on the floor.

But i didnt give up 6 days a week i went.
    I walked only in the start...every day
    and it hurted. My back and old injury protested.
    But it became 0.6 mile
    And walking a half hour became 35 minutes and 40 minutes

the first careful jog happend after 7 weeks
    A minute and i was proud..very proud
    My confidence and determination grew with the distance i walked

I started to do light lifting for 15 minutes
    3 times a week after my walks/jog

Now it is 17 February 2015
    117 days after i started
    I still walk 6 days a week
    At least an hour a day, i walk/jog 3.5 mph now. I can jog 20 minutes in a row on good days.
    And i still lift 3 times a week + the other 3 days i picked up my dance routines
    total gym hours a day is now 90 to 100 minutes a day

And last week i extended it with a twice half hour in the pool ( calanatics).

When you want it bad enough it is possible, be careful but you can do it. Slow and steady will reach the finish line too.

76145189.png

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The day my trainer handed me a 20kg weight, pointed out that was how much I'd lost to date and made me do deep squats I realised quite how much weight I had been carrying around ...seriously it's tough on your body to be morbidly obese ...but it also means you probably have a good musculature underneath the blubber

With progressive resistance work you can ensure you keep as much of this as possible

• darkcowboy
    darkcowboy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    thank you all for your words of encouragement
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    First, welcome! I'm also from GA. And you should be proud of yourself for starting this process both for yourself and for your son. That is awesome. I started at nearly 320 and also had/have back issues. To be honest, at first I just tried to move more. It was that simple. Parked my car farther away, took a flight or two of stairs, just did whatever I could. As I started to lose weight from adjusting my food intake, exercise became easier. Do what you can and just don't quit - that's the most important part.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10040017/thinking-of-starting-today-you-might-want-to-check-this-out-pics-inside/p1