Nervous to lift heavy weights (like barbells)

soccerkon26
soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I currently run about 2 miles per day in addition to some minor lifting. I use free weights during sets of weighted lunges and workouts like that.

I also use the leg press machine, abductor/adductor, leg curl, etc.

The only thing is that I'm nervous to try to squat and do other workouts with weights like barbells. I'm nervous because I don't want to do the wrong thing. So I have 3 questions:

- Should I try and use the barbell alone? (I've tried before and it was pretty heavy without any weighs on it!)
- What about the squiggly bars? I think they're called EZ Curl bars...would squats be better for me on that since its smaller?
- Do you have any workouts you suggest I try it any videos I should watch? I'm looking to tone my butt and legs!

Replies

• jomiguelo
    jomiguelo Posts: 5 Member
    You can definitely do it alone with proper form. As long as you research properly on how to do each lift (i.e. Deadlifts, squat, bench, etc). I would recommend reading the book Starting strength by Mark Rippetoe. He goes through each compound lifts meticulously. No need to read the whole book though and no need to follow hia dier advice :smile: . You can also check lifting videos. Check out omarisuf, candito training hq, layne norton, etc. U can post your vids on YouTube too and ask people to criticise your form. Good luck!
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    -It's definitely fine to use a barbell alone. Like jomiguelo said, make sure to use proper form. Just leave your ego at the door and if you need to start with an emtpy bar, do just that.
    -I wouldn't recommend using the EZCurl for squats. It would probably be fine, but that's not the intended use of the bar and something strange could happen due to it's unusual shape.
    -I'd suggest StrongLifts or Starting Strength for a workout. I've done both in the past and made quick progress. I'd just search something like 'squat form' in youtube. There's bound to be tons. Try to make sure you squat low enough for the full range of motion.
  • jomiguelo
    jomiguelo Posts: 5 Member
    For your butt, you can include hip thrusters in your workout. Google 'Bret Contreras hip thrusters'. He's the 'glute master' hehe. If the bar itself is too heavy for you and there's no lighter bar, try doing full range of motion squats first. 3-4 sets by 10-20 reps with 1 min rest each. Back extensions with the same rep/set scheme. You'll be strong enough to handle the bar in no time. I've had some girls squat a lot heavier with good form than the guys in the gym. :)
  • soccerkon26
    Thank you all for your advice :) maybe I will practice my squat form with no weights first and build up to the bar :)
  • iwillsucceed0444
    iwillsucceed0444 Posts: 432 Member
    I'm sorry if this is a weird thing to say but you look like that beauty guru on youtube, her username is sarahbelle93x or something LOL. She's really pretty btw. Anyways definitely start small. Maybe body weight squats, or use dumbells in each hand and work your way up until your ready to use the barbell.
  • eangel1023
    eangel1023 Posts: 14 Member
    recomend front squats. No risk to your neck and you get the advantage of core work as well. You cross your arms and allow the bar to rest on your biceps and use your hands to steady the bar. You can't do as much weight but its good stuff.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Best thing to do, if you have access, is to talk to a trainer at your gym. My husband signed up for 3 sessions with a trainer at our gym. It was $100, but well worth it. The trainer instructed him on proper form with a bar. I was using machines and dumb bells, pretty much sounds like what you are doing. I couldn't lift a 45lb bar or 45lb plate to start. My husband worked with my on my form with a barbell. I went from squatting an empty bar (45lbs), which was heavy for me...to now squatting 145lbs.

As for a program, you can pick your own. You can look on the forums for recommendations like New Rules, 5x5, etc.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    I just started Stronglifts 5x5 and was also nervous about weighted squats. I've been doing the 28 day squat challenge (body weight) and that has helped with practicing form. Since I knew how it felt without weight, I just dove in... after watching some videos. You would be surprised at what you can do! Keeping it to 5 reps between sets really helps when you take advantage of the rest period. I squatted 55 lbs yesterday and amazed myself by getting through all the sets - without feeling like I had made a huge mistake! I had more trouble with the overhead press.

I'm a former in shape person who has let herself go. Soft muscles, no stamina, etc. My quads are already very firm from just a month of regular activity. I'm constantly touching them, lol.

If you can have a trainer coach you a bit, that would be ideal, as the previous poster said. Barring that, record yourself doing body weight squats and compare them to the form videos you can watch. Start with lower weight dumbbells to build, but keep increasing them even though you are nervous. You use big muscles in the squat and they will perform for you.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    I currently run about 2 miles per day in addition to some minor lifting. I use free weights during sets of weighted lunges and workouts like that.

I also use the leg press machine, abductor/adductor, leg curl, etc.

The only thing is that I'm nervous to try to squat and do other workouts with weights like barbells. I'm nervous because I don't want to do the wrong thing. So I have 3 questions:

- Should I try and use the barbell alone? (I've tried before and it was pretty heavy without any weighs on it!)
    - What about the squiggly bars? I think they're called EZ Curl bars...would squats be better for me on that since its smaller?
    - Do you have any workouts you suggest I try it any videos I should watch? I'm looking to tone my butt and legs!

Go ahead and use an empty bar to start. There's nothing wrong with that.

But don't use an EZ Curl bar for your compound lifts. You need a straight bar.

Also you need to decide if you're going to be doing high bar or low bar squats. They are both squats but are executed completely different.
    eangel1023 wrote: »
    recomend front squats. No risk to your neck and you get the advantage of core work as well. You cross your arms and allow the bar to rest on your biceps and use your hands to steady the bar. You can't do as much weight but its good stuff.

There's no risk to your neck with back squats if you do them correctly. The bar will either rest on your traps in a high bar squat or along your rear delts in a low bar squat. It should never cause any pain or discomfort on your neck.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Thank you all for your advice :) maybe I will practice my squat form with no weights first and build up to the bar :)

You can try squatting with a broom across your back at home to get a feel for the position in general. If you've been doing the leg press regularly, you likely have the strength to add the barbell by itself to start after you're comfortable with the position, but if it is too heavy, you could try the preloaded bars that are usually in 10lb increments. (Weights are permanently fixed to the end of the bars.)

I'd recommend watching lots of videos online about form. As mentioned, Mark Rippetoe is a great resource, and he has lots of explanations online in his blog and instructional videos.

Someone else mentioned a trainer, and this can be a good idea if the trainer is actually good; many of the trainers at my gym teach girls to squat, but they do not teach proper form. It might be a good idea to watch how the trainer works with people compare what you see to instructional videos to watch. (Easiest thing to pick up on is if they make people go to parallel or not.)
  • soccerkon26
    I'm sorry if this is a weird thing to say but you look like that beauty guru on youtube, her username is sarahbelle93x or something LOL. She's really pretty btw. Anyways definitely start small. Maybe body weight squats, or use dumbells in each hand and work your way up until your ready to use the barbell.

Haha thanks!! :)
  • soccerkon26
    Thank you all! Great advice :)
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member

Just looked her up. Yep, you look like her:)
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    :?:
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    When my wife started squats, the bar was too much for her so we started her with Goblet Squats. It's really hard to have bad form with a Goblet Squat just because of the positioning of the weight. Good Luck!
  • carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    If it's any consolation, I still do an occasional workout with an empty Olympic bar. There's no shame in it!

Sets of 50+ curls, tricep extensions or front raises with an empty bar really make your biceps/triceps/shoulders scream. Especially if you do them in giant sets, but I wouldn't recommend you try them just yet!
  • soccerkon26
    That
    Holla4mom wrote: »

Just looked her up. Yep, you look like her:)

thats so funny :) some people say I sort of look like Anna Kendrick...but I think I might look more like this girl! :)
  • soccerkon26
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I have so many options to try now :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    came to say broom...

someone already said it.

so yeah- practice with a broom- use DB's to get stronger if you REALLY honestly feel like the barbell is to heavy. And work into it.

Don't worry if you don't "feel" strong- just getting started is a big step.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    eangel1023 wrote: »

Just chiming in to say that with front squats, the bar should NOT be resting on your biceps. It should rest across your front delts. If it's on your biceps, your form is going to get really funky.