Do you take medication with weight-gain side-effects?

Options
I used to take sodium valproate aka epilim and I was on that medication for 6 years and one of the main side-effects was weight-gain. I must of gained 60 to 80 pounds, I used to stuff my face. I been off that medication since November last year and my appitite has just dropped. Since late December I lost about 50 pounds I am averaging 700 calories a day and I been logging that for 56 day and I do weight training and I feel great only about a little over 20 pounds to go..

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You are eating 700 calories a day? No good :( If this is true, you are doing it all wrong.
  • StrayAlien
    StrayAlien Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I learned to listen to my body and will eat as much as my body needs. It’s not like I'm putting my body in to starvation mode. You just got listen to your body.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    You REALLY need to eat more. Over twice that amount, IMO. If you can't eat your calories, drink them (something like Ensure).

And maybe see a doctor about your appetite.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary but I am SHOCK AND AMAZED that you work out (weight training no doubt) on 700 Calories a day ... and for a man..

Are you 4 feet tall and really a woman?

mrnxlextt7ki.jpg

You are off your medication and loosing weight what is the real question? Get back on your medication...
  • rayrayfitz
    rayrayfitz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I had steroids for a long time after I had a pulmonary embolism and a collapsed lung. I had repeated infections so had steroids more or less for 3 years, those combined with giving up work because of the illness made me gain a lot of weight. It's all coming off now though.

I just admit, like I'm others I'm concerned about your calorie intake. Technically you're malnutishe and can't possibly be meeting all your protein/vitamin/potassium/calcium/iron requirements from diet alone. Please tell me you take vitamins?

Being thin does not equate to being healthy and 700cals isn't enough to sustain a man. I have 1370 and I'm a five foot tall woman.

I don't know how you're functioning to exercise without feeling run down.

No nutritionalist or doctor would advocate this. Please re think this as it's not sustainable long term and could be doing damage to your organs and heart.

Take care and good luck.