Weight Loss with Hypothryoidism

Options
I have hypothyroidism. If anyone has been diagnosed with this, you might know of the struggles with weight loss. Has anyone had any luck with weight loss with hypothyroidism? How did you do it? What foods did you completely avoid or limit to sparingly? Also, any other tips that I could apply to my weight loss journey?

Replies

• ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I also have hypothyroidism. For me, the most important thing was making sure (with blood tests) that I had the adequate amount of medication in my system. Personally, I also had to change my mindset and realize that it would be (in my case, very difficult if not impossible) to lose weight quickly. I have lost over 100 lbs (from when I started to now) - don't give up!! It can be done.
    - If you want more tips message me. :)
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and you don't have to avoid anything. If you're on the correct meds, you shouldn't have to do anything special.
  • PinkCoconut
    PinkCoconut Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You can do it girl! I've been recently diagnosed with it and through a few tweaks I've started to manage it better and the weight has started to finally kick back into gear and come off. It all depends on what YOU are comfortable with. Some people need meds, some people don't want to be on meds - it all depends on what's going on in your body and what YOU want.

Feel free to friend me and we can chat!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed last year and just had my first blood test come back as normal so looks like I'll be sticking to 100mcg per day of Levothyroxine for now. I'm nearly 10lbs down since the start of January so it can be done.

Edited to add - I haven't cut out any foods either. Just counting calories and getting 2.5 hours of exercise in each week.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Oh, I definitely don't want to be on meds but my most recent test came back normal with my medication. Hopefully, if I lose some of this weight, I won't have to be on meds anymore!
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I lost about 60lbs while hypo. No special diet, just CICO focusing on nutrient-dense, high-satiety foods and a lot of cardio.

I feel like I have to maintain on an unfairly low calorie budget (1450), which chafes, but other than that it hasn't really been a big deal at all.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism & Hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I lost weight slowly, so be patient. But I did it just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than I burn.
  • knh126
    knh126 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and im still working on getting the proper amount of levothyroxine. i gained about ten to fifteen pounds when i first had issues with my levels and im trying to drop it back down again. the progress has been very, very slow. my usual tricks aren't working so great- eating salads, working out, etc. but im hoping mfp will help : ) good luck!
  • renee_lee88
    renee_lee88 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Oh, I definitely don't want to be on meds but my most recent test came back normal with my medication. Hopefully, if I lose some of this weight, I won't have to be on meds anymore!

Unfortunately I have been advised my doctor that weight has nothing to do with this condition... I did the whole "what if I lose weight will my thyroid start working properly again" and she told me that it has nothing to do with diet and lifestyle it's just something I have... I was diagnosed 6 months after my son was born and was told that I may have had border line hypothyroidism before my son and then pregnancy just jacked up my hormone requirements and my thyroid packed it in lol...
    She also said that my thyroid might decide it wants to work properly at any time so fingers crossed.
    It's not your fault and medication will help immensely... I had the mindset that it would be difficult for me to lose weight now but I was wrong... With counting your calories correctly and getting in the exercise in its coming off like it used before I was diagnosed :) I hope that helps