Options
2»

Replies

• krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    grimmeanor wrote: »
    krknobbe10 wrote: »
    Yes and I feel it's slightly affecting my knee but I also have a bruise on my knee so that may be something different but it is the upper part of my thigh towards the outside. What exercises do you do to help with your hip flexors? I have never had this problem until now but then again I just started my desk job last June.
    I checked out some articles and videos on core and hip strengthening exercises for runners, then picked out a set to start following. These are the ones I am doing. It takes me about 45 minutes to do 3 sets of each (generally to failure or near failure for the ones where I might fall over):

Push ups
    Clamshells*
    Side planks
    Lateral side leg lifts*
    Double leg straight leg lifts*
    Single leg bridges*
    Donkey whips*
    Squats*
    Standing single leg raises*
    Single leg deadlifts*
    Pull ups

To be perfectly honest, the pull ups are not for running, necessarily, but I did add them to my routine because I am trying to build up chest and arm strength as well. All of the others will help with running as they target muscles that are used when running. The ones with asterisks are ones I recall seeing regularly in all of the links I found for exercises targeting hip flexors and glutes, the areas I seem to be weakest in and hope will help prevent further injury running. I have decided to cut back on my long runs for a bit while I build up strength in these areas, because each time I started pushing my furthest distance something would wind up hurt, feet, hamstring, ankles, all sorts of stuff.

When you ice your hip flexor, where do you put the ice pack? It seems my pain is wide so it's hard to know exactly where to put the ice so it helps the most. I have tried mid thigh and up closer to my hip.

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    OP, I fear you haven't been listening/reading any of the responses on the other threads you've started in the last month.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Just like the feeling of a long run and all that comes with it. It's nice to know I'm sweating for a reason.

Just have sex. It's more fun anyway.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    I love the Arc trainer - 1:1 interval. Treadmill was boring and my old bag of bones didn't like the pounding. I tried elliptical machine - intervals and really like it and did it for many months and thought I was in shape until I did the Arc trainer. It kicked my *kitten* the first few times.

Arc trainer (w/o the arm thingies) is bad *kitten*.
  • amo314
    amo314 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I love the rowing machine.
  • crystal8208
    crystal8208 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Suggestion would be do the exercise that you enjoy at the intensity and duration that matches your fitness goals and worry less about sweating.

Beautiful quote. For me, I hate running and the treadmill (I call it the dreadmill, ick). So, I'm a ZUMBA gal. Burn just as many calories as the evil treadmill and have a lot more fun doing it. Find something that works well for you. I've always heard a six pack is made in the kitchen. :smiley:

• krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I do the arc trainer and will be rowing also and throwing the bike in there too. Probably going to do a combination.
    I love the Arc trainer - 1:1 interval. Treadmill was boring and my old bag of bones didn't like the pounding. I tried elliptical machine - intervals and really like it and did it for many months and thought I was in shape until I did the Arc trainer. It kicked my *kitten* the first few times.

Arc trainer (w/o the arm thingies) is bad *kitten*.

Do you feel the arc trainer is accurate on the calories or do you feel MFP is accurate when you log it in your cardio section?

• Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Do you feel the arc trainer is accurate on the calories or do you feel MFP is accurate when you log it in your cardio section?

[/quote]

I think it is as accurate as can be. I really don't log a the calories. I do notice sometimes I feel like I burn the same number of calories as the time before but for some reason I am 20+ under. No biggie as I sweat a ton and it is a challenge. I keep increasing the time and intensity about every 3-4 weeks to make it more challenging. I refuse to do anything else.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    When you ice your hip flexor, where do you put the ice pack? It seems my pain is wide so it's hard to know exactly where to put the ice so it helps the most. I have tried mid thigh and up closer to my hip.
    Sorry, I have no idea because I never iced mine. The worst I ever felt it was on a cold November half marathon. That last couple of miles hurt, and at first I thought the pain was due to the muscles in my thighs/hips being too cold. I pretty much knew I was wrong after warming up. The last thing on my mind was ice.
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    The stair master.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Circuits involving burpees. +1 on the stair master as well; that thing is an *kitten* kicker if you set it at a good clip.