Black Beans

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I cook my beans in the crock pot then freeze the rest in a Tupperware container. Might work better to portion them out in freezer bags. Works perfectly well.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    rand486 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    It is a very tasty protein and fiber bomb. Lately I have been adding turnips to my stews. You get similar texture to potatoes but much fewer carbs.

I honestly don't know if I've ever cooked with turnips... my goodness, I'm all about the revelations today! :P

Thanks again!

I also like to eat them raw. They taste like radishes but without the bite.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My first introduction to black beans.
    http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/spicy-black-bean-soup-145677

I've been a fan ever since.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

I get a "Page not Found" error. Can you double check your link?

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I LOVE BLACK BEANS and I just cooked up a huge pot yesterday! I don't know if they freeze because I can eat a whole 16 oz. bag by myself within a week. I ate them last night like this: bed of lettuce and broccoli slaw, baked chicken cut into chunks, beans ladled over it like salad dressing.

They are also good on top of cheese omelets.

Or mixed with salsa and sour cream and served with tortilla chips.

I've never made my own refried beans, but I like canned refried black beans.

I've never made turnips either. Not even 100% sure I've eaten them. I should fix that!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i made these before and they were good (and they freeze well)

https://debbiesdiner.wordpress.com/2015/01/27/chicken-black-bean-and-spinach-burritos/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    It is a very tasty protein and fiber bomb. Lately I have been adding turnips to my stews. You get similar texture to potatoes but much fewer carbs.

I honestly don't know if I've ever cooked with turnips... my goodness, I'm all about the revelations today! :P

Thanks again!

I only discovered this year that they are good raw. I mentioned this to my parents and they were like "we used to eat them raw all the time," but I have no memory of this. I mostly roast them, but will now try adding them to a bean soup.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    in fact, i might make it again soon.....
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I edited quick on the draw after posting. I've re-copied the link again just in case.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Thanks again!

I only discovered this year that they are good raw. I mentioned this to my parents and they were like "we used to eat them raw all the time," but I have no memory of this. I mostly roast them, but will now try adding them to a bean soup.

We ate the majority of our veggies raw as kids. There almost always was a plate of raw carrots, celery, cabbage wedges, turnips, radishes, green onions, tomato slices, etc. on the table. Cooked veggies were pretty much limited to green beans, corn, and peas. I was in college before I had my first broccoli and cauliflower.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png

herm.

I was thinking about making some black beans and rice for this week (mine are sitting in water since last night actually)... but this look easy easy and delicious.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png

herm.

I was thinking about making some black beans and rice for this week (mine are sitting in water since last night actually)... but this look easy easy and delicious.

Since we're getting some more weather in this weekend (Colorado), black bean soup or chili I think will be on the menu this weekend!
  • JoRocka
    Options
    Amitysk wrote: »

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png

herm.

Since we're getting some more weather in this weekend (Colorado), black bean soup or chili I think will be on the menu this weekend!

my coworker works in the state snow room (deployment of salt/plows/trucks etc etc) and he pretty much gave me the low down we were expecting 4-5 days of light snow straight. FML.

Yes- bean soup will be on the menu- or chili.
    Or something.
  • Amitysk
    Options

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png

herm.

my coworker works in the state snow room (deployment of salt/plows/trucks etc etc) and he pretty much gave me the low down we were expecting 4-5 days of light snow straight. FML.

Or something.

I am glad that I don't live in the northeast though... I'll take a Colorado winter everytime!
  • CraigShift
    CraigShift Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have froze many a bean. lol I freeze the can beans however I do not like the sodium content either so I rinse them well and then place on clean kitchen towel to dry off a bit, place them on a cookie sheet put in freezer till hard then put them in baggies say a cup per baggie, that way they will not clump together.
  • JoRocka
    Options

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png

herm.

Or something.

I am glad that I don't live in the northeast though... I'll take a Colorado winter everytime!

I would say "normally it's tolerable" but I b!tch and equal amount each year.
    It's miserable- I get SAD's pretty badly due to the gray- and I hate being cold- I never have the right clothes for it- so yeah- it's pretty much just miserable.

Oh well_ I love my job- and I love my BF and there are a lot of good things about living here.

The winter- not one of them.
  • Amitysk
    Options

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png

herm.

Or something.

It's miserable- I get SAD's pretty badly due to the gray- and I hate being cold- I never have the right clothes for it- so yeah- it's pretty much just miserable.

Oh well_ I love my job- and I love my BF and there are a lot of good things about living here.

My brother moved to upstate NY from San Francisco about 6 years ago... He is still excited about the snow and loves to get his snow-blower out... He be crazy.

OP- sorry to derail thread!
  • JoRocka
    Options

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png

herm.

Or something.

My brother moved to upstate NY from San Francisco about 6 years ago... He is still excited about the snow and loves to get his snow-blower out... He be crazy.

yeah no- I have a shovel- and I pray to the snow gods that it snows when my BF is visiting so I don't have to do it... and I seriously don't even have that much to do and I still hate doing it!!! LMAO
  • earlnabby
    edited February 2015
    Options

It worked for me
    mb44qav4651i.png
    3m32j661ye7o.png

herm.

Or something.

My brother moved from Wisconsin to Massachusetts (he lives in the hardest hit area) and his comment was "all this snow is annoying but it isn't as bad as the media is making it out to be". Yup, he is still a 'Sconnie through and through.

ETA: I am the OP so I don't care about this kind of derailment :)