How much is water weight?

Options
I have a question about water weight.
My boyfriend has been eating right and exercising for 2 weeks now and has lost 20 lbs (he's doing so awesome!!)
He posted a status about it on Facebook and one person commented "20lbs is just water weight...actual loss takes a lot more time...sorry, but that's just the truth..."
I can SEE that his stomach is smaller, honestly I think that person is wrong. I think maybe he is jealous because he lost 53 lbs but it took a long time for him.
Is it possible that the 20 lbs is just water?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How much does he weigh, how much is he eating? Probably 95% of it is water weight.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    Most of it is probably water weight, but there's likely some fat loss in there as well. Most everybody goes through that though, so he's still doing a great job! The loss rate will slow down, but as long as he sticks to it, he'll continue to lose. (:
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    A loss is a loss so congrats to him no matter!

There are too many variables to answer with any degree of accuracy but "generally" speaking a loss of 2 pounds of fat per week is about all you can hope for.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    A lot of it is water weight but that doesn't mean it's any less impressive! That's still 20 extra pounds gone! And now that the water weight is gone, he can takecomfort knowing that the next step is actual fat loss. It's slower to come off but much more rewarding. Just make sure he's working out and getting plenty of protein so he doesn't lose lean body mass.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    2 weeks? Depends on his intake but I'm guessing at LEAST 75% water weight. At most he might have lost 5lbs of fat, and even that is a stretch. Probably more like 2-4lbs of fat.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Yes its possible.

1 gallon of water is 8lbs. So its safe to say that 60-75% is from water. Please tell him to stay hydrated.
  • Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - the majority probably is water weight. However, that doesn't negate the fact that your boyfriend has still lost 20lbs of weight!! Doesn't matter if its water or fat or a mixture of both. He's made a change for the better and has lost 20llbs of weight, which in any book is pretty damn awesome!
    Never mind the bloke on Facebook, take the loss and keep up the good work!
  • PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot
    PeteWhoLikesToRunAlot Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I'd honestly say a lot of it is probably water, but it's better than not losing it at all. Most people lose a decent percentage initially, then the weight loss slows down more as losing the fat takes more time. Nothing to be discouraged about at all though.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Given the actual science of fat loss (ie 3500 calories less maintenance in 1 week = 1 Lb of actual fat loss) I can tell you with a pretty great deal of certainty that most of his loss is water and is typical of new dieters, particularly if he's substantially reduced his carbohydrate intake. Carbs require excess water to metabolize..also, when you cut carbs you deplete your glycogen stores Immediately available energy) and drop weight very quickly. Most likely he will level off here in the coming weeks. If not, it means he's severely under-eating and malnourishing his body.

I'd wager 2-4 Lbs of actual fat, the rest is water and glycogen.
  • supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    While yes it's porbably mostly water loss, it's still excess water he was carrying in his body. It is very common for new dieters to lose a large amount of water weight in the beginning and do not let anyone undermine the success of that loss. Here's why - one of the reasons we are bloated with excess water weight that sheds so fast when we start a new diet that we adhere to is because we change our eating habits. We switch from salt heavy foods to fresh foods. We drink a lot more water which, strangely enough, helps our body let go of that excess water. So it's a good sign. It means he's heading int he right direction. He will probably never have huge numbers like that again, but if he keeps going the way he's going, he'll continue to always have numbers.

Tell him to keep drinking lots of water and keep going!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Now that he is eating better, his body will not hold on to water. Nothing wrong with losing water weight. It bloats you just like fat.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    As others have said, most of it is water. Tell him to keep up the good work, and stay hydrated. He didn't gain weight overnight, and it's gonna take some time to lose it as well.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Like the rest said, it's mainly water, fat takes time like the guy said. It's tough enough losing 1lb of fat per week
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    As he reduces carbs, sodium and sugar his body will shed water. It's a good thing. Most people have no idea how bloated they actually are. On the flip side, the body can fluctuate 3-5 pounds of water daily. I guarantee, you put in a heavy leg day with squats and leg presses, etc and you hydrate correctly you will gain probably 3 lbs just in fluid retention. LOL. It's crazy. It's also why you shouldn't rely on just the scale for succecesses. Get a BF% meter, fat calipers, or a body tape measure for true, accurate results. Like another person said, I can drink a gallon of water and boom... 8 pounds right there.

Props for making a change in your lives though! Few people do it for real.
  • KevinPsalm23v4
    KevinPsalm23v4 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    3,500 calories "about" equals 1 pound of body fat.

If in the normal course of a day you eat 1,750 calories - becuase you need to eat 1,750 to maintain your weight - but burn 1750 calories at the gym. You will loose for that day half a pound of body fat for that day - in theory.

If you don't you don't eat/consume any calories in a day but then burn 1,750 calories - you would in theory loose 1 pound of body fat that day.

According to my gym's scale - my water bottle when filled with 24 ounces of waters weighs 2.2 pounds - so if I drink that after my workout - I in theory weight 2.2 pounds more.

Depending on how hardcore he went with his training , dieting and other factors it is posible to loose a significant amount of weight.