Letting yourself feel hungry

2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    It's a crazy concept right?

I embrace hunger, depending on my mood. You embrace it long enough, and it goes away. Do it enough times, and you can learn a little bit about yourself, I think. I like fasting from time to time and reflecting on my relationship to food.

Nothing wrong with feeling a little hunger when you can choose to. As a hunter, I know that occasionally there might be something that happens that leaves me without food for a day or two, and I need to know I can do it.

We can all do it.
  • phurst00
    phurst00 Posts: 100 Member
    I agree with the OP. Before I started eating better, I would almost never feel hungry because I was eating all the time. Now I actually do feel hunger once or twice a day and I actually enjoy it, because it's a nice reminder that no I have not been stuffing my face all day like I used to!

Also agree with the water. I've had issues before with feeling hungry at night but more than half the time I've had something to drink and the feeling has gone away. Sometimes your body makes you feel hungry when it should be making you feel thirsty!

I also want to put in that it's true about unhealthy food not filling you up. It's the reason I generally stay away from pizza - don't get me wrong, I love it, but it has never ever made me feel full, even if (back in the day) I were to eat half a pizza by myself. On the other hand, my usual dinner salad (green leaf lettuce, carrots, 10 crushed almonds, 1/2 cup chicken) is delicious AND makes me feel very full!
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    I agree with the OP. Before I started eating better, I would almost never feel hungry because I was eating all the time. Now I actually do feel hunger once or twice a day and I actually enjoy it, because it's a nice reminder that no I have not been stuffing my face all day like I used to!

Also agree with the water. I've had issues before with feeling hungry at night but more than half the time I've had something to drink and the feeling has gone away. Sometimes your body makes you feel hungry when it should be making you feel thirsty!

I also want to put in that it's true about unhealthy food not filling you up. It's the reason I generally stay away from pizza - don't get me wrong, I love it, but it has never ever made me feel full, even if (back in the day) I were to eat half a pizza by myself. On the other hand, my usual dinner salad (green leaf lettuce, carrots, 10 crushed almonds, 1/2 cup chicken) is delicious AND makes me feel very full!

Salads can be crazy filling! I make a spinach one with chicken, pears, dried cranberries, sunflower seeds, tomato, red onion and cucumber and for somebody who can eat like I can, it sure fills me up fast.

Another thing I've noticed is that now that I've increased my calories, I think about food less. Staying at 1200 calories was insanely difficult; trying to figure out what I could actually eat was so hard! Now that I give myself enough food, I don't have to put as much though into it.
  • brainzap
    brainzap Posts: 145 Member
    I love letting myself get hungry. Hunger is the best seasoning.
  • JBsCrazyGirl
    JBsCrazyGirl Posts: 337
    I love the true feeling of being hungry. So much better then a "craving". You are absolutely right.
    I also found if I am truly hungry I will strive to find something nutritious and filling and at the same time satisfying.
    :flowerforyou: good post!
  • bonitacash08
    bonitacash08 Posts: 378 Member
    Lol I don't love being hungry.. But I love that I can tell the difference now!