exercise together but different calories

Options
A friend and I are walking together. We walked the same speed and length. Logged the exercise exactly the same but it shows that she burned more calories than I did. What's up with that?

Replies

• Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Male/ Female
    and most importantly....Heart rate

If her HR was higher than yours most of the time, she will burn more.

every 'body' is different, we all burn at different rates. My husband and I will workout together - the exact same exercise and he will DOUBLE my burn.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    She must be taller and/or weigh more than you do. I work out with a friend and always burn about 50 calories more because while we're about the same weight, I'm 3-4 inches taller than her.
  • ChanceTakr2131
    Options
    Everyone burns a different amount of calories.
  • alexdecorde
    Options
    We are the same height and both female. Same age also. She is maybe 15-20lbs heavier. We are just going by what mfp tells us for now.
  • dorianaldyn
    dorianaldyn Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Yep, everyone I workout with seems to burn more calories than I do. I'm short; it takes less energy to move my short self around.
  • weightwatcher_girl
    weightwatcher_girl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Everyone's different, and calories burnt can depend on a lot of things
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Most of them change with your weight and/or height. The calories that are calculated for the same number of minutes of running or walking will drop as you lose weight as well. A lighter person has to exercise longer to burn the same number.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It's the difference in weight.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    See above--it's the difference in weight. Not height, not age, not gender, not heart rate. If you did the same walk at the same speed on the same course, then it is weight.

That's if you are using the MFP database. If you both were using HRMs, then HRM model and setup would be factors as well.
  • jagh09
    jagh09 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    The MFP database isn't always accurate either. It's very generous at times!