Tracking your run?

Options

Replies

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I use my HRM and MapMyRun. Never tried RunKeeper, but I'm sure it's similar. r
  • ultimatekatie
    ultimatekatie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason you don't like RunKeeper? I've only been using it for a few weeks and am liking it so far, but I'm curious how it works for others....
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo.

I don't use an HRM normally, but when I do, I it's my old school Garmin Forerunner 305.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I just map them out on google maps. But then again, I'm weird and I hate taking anything with me on runs.

This. When I finally got a smartphone, I tried running with it for a while, but it's so bulky, was always a pain to get into the arm holster, and the tracking wasn't just bad - it was completely inconsistent! The mileage of the loop I ran was NEVER the same from one lap to the next! I just went back to a watch on my wrist and called it good.
  • rfg1925
    rfg1925 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like runkeeper quite a bit and if I go the way of the watch I'll probably go with one that sync's with it. I also have quite a few training sessions custom built into it that I don't want to lose so it's staying for the foreseeable future. I also plan on continuing to run with my phone, I like the piece of mind having it with me when I'm out. My biggest reason for the interest is having the pace info quickly available. While runkeeper updates me at several set intervals I find myself fishing out my phone more than I would like, or missing the updates to the phone doing something else in the moment. I'm also curious as to whether or not I want to train with an HRM. Up until this point I haven't used one but it sounds interesting and I think I want to try it just for more info for myself going forward.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I just map them out on google maps. But then again, I'm weird and I hate taking anything with me on runs.

This. When I finally got a smartphone, I tried running with it for a while, but it's so bulky, was always a pain to get into the arm holster, and the tracking wasn't just bad - it was completely inconsistent! The mileage of the loop I ran was NEVER the same from one lap to the next! I just went back to a watch on my wrist and called it good.
    Actually, this could be my preferred option in the future with this Wahoo Tickr X HRM. It will track time and heart rate. I know the distance ahead of time for the route I am running. So the phone is not necessary.
  • granturismo
    granturismo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Endomondo on android. Works most of the time.
    I have lost satellite reception on 3 runs out of 50 in the same spot - a rural flatland with and without snow cloud cover.
    I use the data section to track my pace progress. I've just ordered a refurbished Mio Alpha HRM which will link to endomondo. I have my phone on an arm band and dont notice it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have used both GPS watch and smartphone apps. Which one is better depends on what you need and want. Personally, I prefer the GPS watch. It is going to be more accurate than an app. Plus I like the ability to see the watch when I am doing things like running certain paces, or repeats or whatever. I always carried my phone in an armband and could never get the data unless I actually carried my phone. I did have voice feedback but they don't always provide prompts that will fit what I needed. I also like the training plan options. You can input target paces, goals, repeats, etc and it will prompt you.
    But again, that comes down to preference and what kind of training you are actually doing.

As for which watch, I am on my 4th Garmin over a span of more than 10 years. (one lost to puppy teeth, one lost at a race and I recently replaced my third one that I bought second hand with the Garmin 920xt and gave that one away). The 920xt is a little much for someone just looking for a running watch but I've loved every Garmin I had and have been overall very happy. They have great customer service as well.
    Definitely check out the dcrainmaker site someone linked above, more info than you will ever need to compare.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I use JogLog. I really like it because of all the features. I think it was free in the apple store.
  • Annanna91
    Annanna91 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    When I started running about 4years ago I always used the all Map My Walk to track my progress. Whilst it was accurate with distance and pace I found it somewhat annoying, as I ran with my phone in an armband and couldn't view my stats as I was running.

So recently I purchased a Garmin GPS watch to track my runs. I haven't used it that much as the weather became too cold and the pavements too icy and slippy for my liking. But from the times I did use it I must say I was impressed. Being able to see my current pace and distance there on my wrist gave me great motivation to keep running. The watch I brought had a heart rate strap so it also shows me how many calories I've burnt which varies greatly from the app.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    (*)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Endomondo is pretty cool. Recommended here so I got it. Here's one run, showing off all the stats.

http://app.endomondo.com/workouts/473507202/19470633
  • mmerry5
    mmerry5 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I like to use Map My Run on my phone because I also like to listen to Pandora while I run. I have very small arms/wrists so an arm band just doesn't work for me. I bought a runners zippered pocket that goes around my waist. A little like a "fanny pack" but NOT.
    It's very slim and not bulky at all. It can fit my phone, but not a lot else. A drivers license and a couple bucks maybe or a key or two. Some might not like something around the waist, but I don't mind it at all. Not sure I could wear a true "fanny pack" as it would be too loose and bulky. This is so slim and fits comfortably. It doesn't bother me at all. I could even hide it under a shirt with no problem.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Runningahead.com is my jam. It's simple, they don't unnecessarily update the website, and the community is really helpful. I have a Garmin but the Connect website drives me insane.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I use my Polar FT4 with chest band. I'm usually running on the treadmill so that tracks my distance. Outside I usually have my phone for safety reasons plus I need my music. Then I'll use mapmyfitness to track my mileage.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I started with the built-in Nike+ app on my iPod Nano, and still use that to track my lifetime mileage, shoe miles, overall progress.

I recently bought a TomTom Runner Cardio GPS watch to track HRM info. I haven't linked it to any apps yet, just its own computer app and website. I like it for keeping myself in the proper heart rate zone in training and to see current pacing.

I use both devices for now (wear the nano and watch) on runs. That may change in the future. I dislike wearing a lot of "gear", but I don't carry my phone and the nano is small, so it's not too bad.
  • rfg1925
    rfg1925 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. Looks like I'm going to try a GPS watch not sure which one and still not sure if I'm going to try a heart rate monitor or not. I'll update the post when I do. If you have anything else to add please do I'm still undecided as to what brand to go with. By the way I've spent the last three weeks on DC Rainmaker his reviews are awesome.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I like Endomondo personally. I have used others over the years and like this one the best so far.
  • tinuz
    tinuz Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Am using the TomTom cardio GPS watch with build in hart rate monitor....works quit well for me.
    Wished only the option of more (indoor) cardio workouts were available, like rowing, cycling etc.
    Direct upload to mapmyride/fitness/run/walk and the TomTom app/site.

• kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I used Map My Run on my phone for a while, but started running for so long that it basically drained my phone while I ran. Upgraded from a Garmin forerunner 405 to a 220, and I absolutely love. It's a big investment, but if you're in it for the long haul, it's worth it! I don't use an HRM though.