How long after waking up do you have before eating breakfast?

Options

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Im up at 6, eat around 10-2? Whenever I get hungry
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Annanna91 wrote: »
    At the risk of being judged or ridiculed, I usually have my breakfast around 15mins after waking up. Non of this waiting for hours or skipping malarkey!!

I'm with you, @Annanna91‌

• rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    At the risk of being judged or ridiculed, I usually have my breakfast around 15mins after waking up. Non of this waiting for hours or skipping malarkey!!

Same here. I actually feel dizzy and unwell if I wait more than 30 minutes to eat after getting up. I had a fasting cholesterol test last week, so had to wait until almost 9:00 for breakfast (I get up around 7:00). I thought I was going to pass out. I went home as soon as I was finished and made myself bacon and eggs.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Also, breakfast is a dangerous meal, as most “breakfast foods” are not that great nutritionally.

Depends what you are eating for breakfast...

I was thinking of the traditional North American breakfasts like cereal or bread with nutella. For someone who is trying to get a lot of bang for my calories, those things might be tasty but aren’t what I want on a daily basis as a meal.

If you’re eating an egg-white omelette with smoked salmon and half an avocado, that’s a different story (obviously).

Eggs are one of the most traditional North American breakfast foods. It's what I prefer and always have (I've always disliked cold cereal). I see zero reason why egg whites would be preferable to whole eggs, though.

I also sometimes have oatmeal (including with veggies and smoked salmon on the side), and see no reason that would be bad for me.

And on occasion I eat a salad or leftover dinner, since there's no rule that you have to eat special foods just because it's early. All breakfast refers to is the first meal of the day or, if you must, the first meal if it's in the morning.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I'm only not most days because I cook breakfast and like to shower first.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I don't see why anyone would judge you for this (well, Steve would if he were still here). Meal timing is a personal preference. Some can eat the moment they jump out of bed, some can't until afternoon. My timing is more based on my schedule for the day, but for years I rarely ate breakfast.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I don't break my fast until noon, typically. If I eat earlier I'm screwed for the whole day, hungry and blah. I'm much more satiated and feel better not eating breakfast until then.

When you eat is personal preference.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html?m=1
    #7 specifically
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

Yep same here. I make my lunch and then eat my breakfast. Which consist of two egg whites (I dislike the yolk don't ask me why I don't know I just don't), two pieces of toast with jam, oatmeal (one packet) and sometimes depending on the day I will add some bacon (2 slices). I love my breakfast.
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I eat after I workout. I usually get up at 4:45 and eat between 8 and 8:30.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Who is "they"?

Anyone who trains diabetics on nutrition.

The findings of the National Weight Control registry. Though the reason is not known (may be correlation rather than causation. People who routinely eat breakfast may be controlling other eating habits). http://www.nwcr.ws/

A review of 47 studies comes out positive for breakfast eaters.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002822305001513

This shows that breakfast is important for diabetics and is associated in some studies with positive health outcomes, but as you say, there is no causation with kickstarting your metabolism.

Eat breakfast if it helps you and your routine.

It doesn't kick start your metabolism.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have a Prework-out snack of Protein Powder, yoghurt and berries within 15 minutes of waking and then breakfast after my workout, about 4 hours later
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat before lunch. I am not a breakfast person.
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat within about five or ten minutes, but it's not something I've thought through so much as it's just the way my schedule works out.
    I'm the same way. I keep water on my bedside table and drink that first thing before I even get out of bed for hydration. Then I get up and have a high protein smoothie (whey isolate protein, FF Greek yogurt, fruit (usually berries), veggies (usually mixed greens), chia seeds). Then I do my morning walk. About mid-morning I have breakfast. This works for me. I've been doing this for about six weeks and have lost 12 pounds. But mainly I do it because I feel better than I have in a long time. I agree with everyone who posted that you need to figure out what works best for you.
  • sunandstars2
    sunandstars2 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    the only time i got in the shape i wanted to be in was following the advice of a trainer; along with the workouts came a meal plan that upheaved my whole routine. i now try to stick to it even though i'm no longer training ... breakfast within 30 minutes of waking, meals/snacks every 3 hours. 9am, 12pm, 3pm, etc. ... i see that the general answer is "upping your metabolism by eating in the morning is a myth", however i believe it worked for me. just my 2 cents :smile:
  • PurpleYFronts
    PurpleYFronts Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I eat as soon as I can! I love breakfast, especially with chilli's on it :D
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast but I usually eat my first meal around 11:30-1:30 depending on when my workday allows me a lunch break. I wake up at 7:30 for work so don't eat for 4-5 hours after waking up
  • Kim_S_G
    Kim_S_G Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I am taking medicine for my hypothyroidism. It needs to be taken one hour before meals. I take my medicine and drink coffee first thing in the morning - an hour later I eat breakfast.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »
    Also, breakfast is a dangerous meal, as most “breakfast foods” are not that great nutritionally.

Depends what you are eating for breakfast...

I was thinking of the traditional North American breakfasts like cereal or bread with nutella. For someone who is trying to get a lot of bang for my calories, those things might be tasty but aren’t what I want on a daily basis as a meal.

If you’re eating an egg-white omelette with smoked salmon and half an avocado, that’s a different story (obviously).

Eggs are one of the most traditional North American breakfast foods. It's what I prefer and always have (I've always disliked cold cereal). I see zero reason why egg whites would be preferable to whole eggs, though.

I also sometimes have oatmeal (including with veggies and smoked salmon on the side), and see no reason that would be bad for me.

And on occasion I eat a salad or leftover dinner, since there's no rule that you have to eat special foods just because it's early. All breakfast refers to is the first meal of the day or, if you must, the first meal if it's in the morning.

I never said breakfast IS bad for you. I simply said that the traditional breakfast industry, i.e. the entire cereal isle, is not what works for me. I’m not at all sure why everyone chose to take this the wrong way.

I was only expressing my views and preference. As far as I’m concerned, anyone should do whatever works best for them. It’s simply interesting to read about what that entails.

I definitely like having dinner for breakfast, and I have been known to eat pancakes for dinner! There are no rules, just stereotypes.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    I definitely like having dinner for breakfast, and I have been known to eat pancakes for dinner!
    YES! YES! YES!
    =)

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,367 Member
    Options
    Usually a little over 3 hours after I wake up although I can handle black coffee about an hour or so after rising.

I'm too nauseous in the mornings to put food in my stomach any earlier.