Calorie advice needed

Options
crista_b
crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
Ok, friends, I need some advice.... I want to change up my goals on here because the calorie intake MFP had me on isn't doing anything.
Background:
5'9"
25 years old (technically 11 days short of 25.5 if you want to know :smile: )
current weight=238-ish
BF% = 44.3% (gross, I know. :cry: )
desk job/sedentary lifestyle but run/walk intervals (c25k) about 30min, 3x per week and lifting (NROL4W) about 25min, 3x per week (alternate c25k and NROL4W days - occasionally miss 1-3 days per week, hence the activity level mentioned below in the TDEE calculations)

MFP was set at "sedentary" activity level when I was only doing c25k 3x per week - gave me a net goal of 1620. With this goal, I ate back exercise calories and made sure to get my total net in the day within 200 calories of goal without going over. At the time I was losing about 1-1.5lb/week. Then I started lifting and increased my calories on MFP to around 1800, but I've been gaining for the past 2 weeks so I'm back to where I started. I know that adding lifting affects water weight, and I should watch measurements, but those have also gone back up which is pretty discouraging. My diary isn't open, but I try to keep my macros in check. I sometimes go over on carbs and/or sodium, but rarely is it significantly over (when it is significant, it's sodium so I up my water intake for the day). I had been at around 60-70g protein per day before I started lifting, but I have been working on keeping it at around 70-90g per day now. (Don't get into some crazy 10-page long debate about protein levels, I've read them all and made up my own mind on this topic so it's not worth your time to focus on that portion of this post).

So, what I need advice on is really how I should set up my MFP goals. I tried various calculators to check what my TDEE would be so that I could switch to the TDEE -25% (or 20%, but I have around 80lbs to lose so I don't think 25% would be a problem).
My BMR calculation is around 1890 (3 calculators - 1889, 1897, and 1889).
My TDEE calculations are below based on the different calculators at http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ with the activity set at 4x/week:
Mifflin-St Jeor = 2829
Harris-Benedict = 3208
Enter Activity Level = 2919
Katch-McCardle = 2308
MFP = 2550

Should I just average them (putting me at about 2763 TDEE) to net about 2072/day? I plan to set my macros at 45c/20p/35f (keeping protein around 100g).

Thoughts? (without arguing with each other :wink: )

ETA: let me know if you need more info (aside from opening the diary). I tried to include as much as I could. Sorry for the long post. :smile:

Replies

• crista_b
    Options
    Bumping. :smile:
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    At the time I was losing about 1-1.5lb/week. Then I started lifting and increased my calories on MFP to around 1800, but I've been gaining for the past 2 weeks so I'm back to where I started.

You started lifting, and you put on weight... are you certain that that weight add is fat / water and not muscle? Ie, if you're losing circumference still, then you're likely fine. Give it time.
    increased my calories on MFP to around 1800

If you're eating just the 1800, you're also under your BMR based on the numbers you listed. I'm assuming you eat to the TDEE-X% numbers?

I have my TDEE calculating off the Mifflin BMR until I have a more reliable BF% measurement, then I just make sure my intake is above that, even if my TDEE cut says otherwise.
  • crista_b
    Options
    At the time I was losing about 1-1.5lb/week. Then I started lifting and increased my calories on MFP to around 1800, but I've been gaining for the past 2 weeks so I'm back to where I started.

You started lifting, and you put on weight... are you certain that that weight add is fat / water and not muscle? Ie, if you're losing circumference still, then you're likely fine. Give it time.
    I know that "newbie gains" are common, but I've been taking measurements too, and those are also back to where they were when I started. I've also only been lifting for 2 weeks, so I highly doubt I've gained 6+ lbs of muscle.
  • crista_b
    Options
    increased my calories on MFP to around 1800

If you're eating just the 1800, you're also under your BMR based on the numbers you listed. I'm assuming you eat to the TDEE-X% numbers?
    The 1800 was before I started looking into TDEE stuff. It was based on lowering my "preset" MFP goal to 1lb/week.
  • crista_b
    Options
    I have my TDEE calculating off the Mifflin BMR until I have a more reliable BF% measurement, then I just make sure my intake is above that, even if my TDEE cut says otherwise.
    Thanks for the advice!
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The 1800 was before I started looking into TDEE stuff. It was based on lowering my "preset" MFP goal to 1lb/week.

Ah, that makes sense.

Even if you were eating butter on a stick, gaining 6lbs in 2 weeks wouldn't be easy, so you're right there. I'd say give it a another week, and make sure you're falling in between your BMR (Katch McArdle if you have a good LBM measure) and your light or active level TDEE.
  • crista_b
    Options
    I'd say give it a another week, and make sure you're falling in between your BMR (Katch McArdle if you have a good LBM measure) and your light or active level TDEE.
    Thanks!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body might be holding onto some water weight with the new routine to help cushion and heal those muscles. I would probably keep doing what you're doing for another week or two before changing anything. Two weeks is well within the scope of normal water weight fluctuations.
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your body might be holding onto some water weight with the new routine to help cushion and heal those muscles. I would probably keep doing what you're doing for another week or two before changing anything. Two weeks is well within the scope of normal water weight fluctuations.

I would agree with this.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Yup, you just need to give it more time. Any diet/exercise change needs 4-6 weeks to fully set in.
  • crista_b
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • ironmonkeystyle
    ironmonkeystyle Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not a nutritionist, medical doctor, or any other expert relevant to the instant question.

That said, here's what I would suggest:

Keep the calories where you have them, maybe drop 50 or so on the daily, but change up your macros ratio, so there's less carbs, and more protein. Could you get the protein to 35%, and maybe fat 30%, and carbs: 35%?

Also, maybe ditch the steady-state cardio workouts, and sub in circuit training where your heart rate spikes for sprints, and then drops for short rests. Check out these resources:
    http://blondeponytail.com/
    http://zuzkalight.com/

for workout regimens.
  • crista_b
    Options
    DISCLAIMER: I'm not a nutritionist, medical doctor, or any other expert relevant to the instant question.

That said, here's what I would suggest:

Keep the calories where you have them, maybe drop 50 or so on the daily, but change up your macros ratio, so there's less carbs, and more protein. Could you get the protein to 35%, and maybe fat 30%, and carbs: 35%?

Also, maybe ditch the steady-state cardio workouts, and sub in circuit training where your heart rate spikes for sprints, and then drops for short rests. Check out these resources:
    http://blondeponytail.com/
    http://zuzkalight.com/

for workout regimens.
    Thanks.

The reason I was going to set my protein at 20% was because if I set my calories to about 2000/day, 20% would put me at 100g/day which is already wayyyyy more than I'm able to get in. I'm vegetarian and already know about all the protein sources and try to get them in, but without going way over on calories, it's very hard for me to get over 80 or so grams/day. I don't want to start people debating protein needs, but I've done my research on it and personally feel like 80-100 is plenty for me and my goals.

I thought about doing more HIIT stuff for cardio, but I'd like to run a 5k in a couple months, and I'm pretty much the antithesis of a runner. I just wanted to work on building my endurance because I can hardly run more than 3 minutes without needing to walk, and when I could do a 5k without walking, my plan would be to change up my workouts to HIIT.
  • JewelE77
    JewelE77 Posts: 134 Member
    Options

I would agree with this.

I also agree with this. I think you are right on track and will soon see the scale moving right back down. :drinker: