Should I avoid weighing myself while on my period?

Options
Sorry for the question (men) lol, but I was wondering if I should avoid weighing in while on my period, or if it matters..

Thanks! o

Replies

• sljohn84
    sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do! I always seem to gain a couple pounds being bloated.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I stop weighing myself 2 weeks after until it's over, lol. So basically I weigh myself 10 days a month.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't avoid it. I weigh every day no matter what. Some people can be disheartened seeing that number shoot up, but I just compare it to where I was the previous month.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. I still weigh myself but don't freak out about the number. I know I am going to be up (it's actually worse the week before for me not the actual week I am having it) but I still want to know where I am at. If that would derail you, then no, you shouldn't weigh in. If it helps you learn how your body reacts and changes throughout the month, then yes, weigh in.
  • leighdiane91
    leighdiane91 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    It's worse for me the week before, so I just weigh once a week and take that weeks weigh in with a grain of salt. If I know my eating was on point and that I did my 3 workouts (minimum for me) that week, then it's just hormones and body fluctuations. I don't sweat it.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others - do it if you like, but be prepared to be up a little bit. I love watching the "loss" after. Ha ha.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It depends. Do you like data? Do you get freaked out when the scale goes up?
    I like data. I weigh daily, regardless.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yes... it may drive you insane to see that water retention, water weight gain, bloating have added 1 - 2- 3- 4- 5 pounds to the scale...
    -
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Yes, to see how the body fluctuates.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself but I mentally prepare to see the scale go up, and it always does. I do it because I like seeing the woosh after it's over- usually the weight that went up and an extra pound or two.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Why?

You weigh what you weigh when you weigh it.

Denial or avoidance doesn't change the weight.

Weigh. Record. Move on.

Know that things go wonky at that time.

No big deal.
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid the scale during my period. I also do not weigh myself every day; instead I only do it once a week, skipping my period week. I get so swollen during my period that sometimes it feels like I go up a full pants size and I feel huge. Plus with all the hormones running wild I just don't like the emotional baggage of seeing a higher (and immaculate) number on the scale. That's just me of course. Depends how your period affects you in terms of water retention, swelling, etc.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    It depends. Do you like data? Do you get freaked out when the scale goes up?
    I like data. I weigh daily, regardless.

This is exactly what I was going to say. It's not fat, so therefore it's not an actual weight gain. I just like seeing it go up knowing it will go down in a few days...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i weigh myself every day but only log once a week. if seeing the number go up (Even though its only temporary) will cause you major distress or issues, just avoid it that week (or so, depending on your body)

for ME.... it doesnt go up (or if it does, only by a pound or so) but will not go DOWN, either.
  • Elleposh119
    Elleposh119 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys :) I think I'll just weigh in but take the fact that I'm on my period thus my weight might fluctuate into account.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Why?

You weigh what you weigh when you weigh it.

Denial or avoidance doesn't change the weight.

Weigh. Record. Move on.

Know that things go wonky at that time.

No big deal.

Doesn't matter. I compare my lowest every month to see my weight fluctuation. I don't need the bloat data.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I tend to weigh myself at the height of my menstrual weight gain and have a moment of panic, until I realize why I've gained so much (I can gain an extra 10 pounds during TOM). Once my 5 second heart attack is over, I don't normally weigh myself again until about a week after I'm finished.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    As a girl whose PMS lasts 1.5 weeks and whose period lasts another 5 days, I stop checking as often. I do check occasionally, but I think subconsciously I pretend that those days don't count. Also f*** anyone who says that it "shouldn't be a big deal". Being bloated for 2+ weeks out of every month is a big deal to me! Just let me sulk, lol.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Doesn't matter. I compare my lowest every month to see my weight fluctuation. I don't need the bloat data.

Denial and avoidance , FTW, it is, then!

:)

ostrich-head-in-sand.jpg

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    It's worse for me the week before, so I just weigh once a week and take that weeks weigh in with a grain of salt. If I know my eating was on point and that I did my 3 workouts (minimum for me) that week, then it's just hormones and body fluctuations. I don't sweat it.

Maybe that's why my scale shot up to 199 this week...ugh I have having periods.