Does the body actually go into "starvation mode"?

Options
Hey! I'm very new to MFP and weight loss in general. I'm 4' 10" and already don't need many calories to maintain my current weight, so now that I'm trying to lose weight my calorie goal is even smaller.
I've always heard that you won't lose weight if you eat too low calorie because your body goes into "starvation mode". Is there any truth to that and if so how can I avoid that happening?

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Not true. If you use the "Search" button just above the top of the title of this post, you will find ALL kinds of previous posts on this topic.
    Welcome to MFP! :)
  • CaptainBrownie
    CaptainBrownie Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I don't actually think so (well not for me). Some days my net calories are less than 300 and I still lose a lot of weight. I think as long as there is a calorie deficit it works.
  • QueerAbuela
    QueerAbuela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much! I'll definitely check those out. :#
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Yes...if you're stranded on a desert island for 2 weeks with nothing to eat.

Otherwise...no.
  • alaskakristin
    alaskakristin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking this. I have the same question. I am 5foot tall and 45 yo and my maintenance calaries are at 1280, subtract 500 to lose weight and I am at 780 calories! Seems like we are told over and over to never go below 1200. I will do more searching on MFP for more info.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It isn't true that you won't lose weight, but it is possible to reach a point at which your body shuts down less important functions and burns fewer calories than normal.
  • nikkit321
    nikkit321 Posts: 1,485 Member
    Options
    I don't know about actual starvation mode, but I do know that eating at a low level for several years can suppress the metabolism. I ate at 1200 for several years and stopped losing. I'm now working on increasing my metabolism because the calculators say that I can maintain at 2000, which I couldn't even imagine as I'd gain at 1400. I've been adding 100 calories per day, increasing by 100 each week (known as 'reverse dieting'), and I'm currently maintaining at 1800 so I have hope that the 2000 figure is true. Once I maintain at 2000 for a while, I'll then drop to 1500 or 1600 and lose again.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options

[/list]Possible? Yes.
    Common? No.

If you find that you are consistently, drastically (not recommended, btw) undereating for long periods of time, you are absolutely sure you are logging 100% accurately, then...maybe?
    But it's unlikely you're gonna just fall into it.
    Maintain your recommended calorie deficit and you shouldn't have any problems.
  • QueerAbuela
    QueerAbuela Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone!
  • savvyfantastic
    savvyfantastic Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    To sum it up - while a calorific deficit is important when losing weight, you aren't doing yourself any favours if you aren't eating enough calories, macro and micronutrients to support your body's functioning.
  • TrailBlazerMN
    Options
    What @savvyfantastic‌ said.

• AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to cause metabolic damage to your body long term (by starving yourself for a long time)?

Maybe, but probably not.

If you cut more calories you will lose more weight, PERIOD!

Remember the goal is never weight loss but fat loss so make sure you get adequate amount of protein while on a cut so you dont lose any muscle. You want the body to always burn fat before muscle.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you don't eat enough, you will starve, yes. Your body will break down its own lean muscle, and eventually the organs.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Yes, Virginia, there is a starvation mode.
    But it's hard to get there, and is not what most people think it is.

No, you will not stop losing weight if you cut calories too low. Your body has to use energy to run. It won't store fat unless you're in a surplus.

If it doesn't have carbs (glucose, glycogen), it will burn fat, then muscle. _That_ is starvation mode (burning muscle), and is the body making a hail Mary hoping that you'll eat food before your heart & diaphragm can't work any more & you die.

Here's a very good explanation of the whole mess:
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

And yes, if it's drastic enough your metabolism will slow, sometimes permanently.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No, there is however metabolic adaptation, but I wouldn't worry about that either.