Protein and Calories

Options
I'm trying to focus on high protein, lower carbs. My problem is that things like eggs have a good bit of calories, and I often go over even with working out. As long as it's healthy, should I not worry about the calories and focus on the protein?

Replies

• Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    If you're concerned about weight - losing, maintaining, or gaining - then you should worry (or at least pay attention) to calories in addition to whatever your macro-nutrient goals are around protein, fat, etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Assuming you have weight loss goals, then calories is what you should be paying attention to the MOST.

Try things like chicken, lean beef, low/zero fat dairy for lower cal protein sources. If that fails, consider a protein powder to supplement.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Egg whites have much fewer calories than whole eggs. But of course all the glorious fat-soluble vitamins are in the yolk too.

"They contain 100% of the fat soluble vitamins A, D, E and K as well as all the carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin found in an egg. They also contain more than 90% of the calcium, iron, phosphorus, zinc, thiamin, folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin B12"
    http://paleoleap.com/an-egg-yolk-a-day-keeps-the-doctor-away/
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    On days I don't have room for whole eggs in my calories, I just eat the whites. Fish has surprisingly low calories for the amount of protein. I also eat canned sardines in water and cottage cheese for snacks to help with protein without destroying my calories.