Supersets

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
edited February 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
So I’ve just started a 3 day lifting plan (done 5 days so far and I really like it!) and I was wondering about superseting ab exercises in to maximize my time. However, most ab stuff I know how to do involves getting on the floor, which is awkward in the weight area, or using a kettlebell or other weight, which I don’t want to do (I think my forearms and wrists are going to have the most trouble for the first few weeks, don’t want to overdo it).

I have come up with two exercises on my own (one balance and a one legged shoulder bridge dip using the bench), and was wondering if anyone has any other ideas. I already do lots of squats and lunges in my cardio class, so I don’t want to do those. Thanks!

Replies

• merv243
    merv243 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You can lie on a bench and do leg raises - that way you don't have to leave the weight area. You could also sit on it and do Russian twists.

Once your grip strength catches up, you could do side raises. But good call not straining your wrists.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You just started. Maybe we do the program as written for a day or two or three before we start rewriting it?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Dumbell wood chop or cable wood chop (high and low) are both amazing standing ab exercises for rotaional ab work (I know you said no weights but you really don't need to go too heavy). Pallof press with bands or a cable. If you're strong enough then hanging leg raises are a good option. Side bends on the back extension machine.

Personally if you need to get on the floor I would just do it. I don't know what your gym is like but there's generally a free patch of floor somewhere that you can use in-between sets
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'd look up jim stoppani's workouts. He does quite a few with doing additional exercise during a rest period. It would atleast give you a few ideas.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!