Heart rate to calories burned

Options
So I got a new heartrate monitor and went through my normal olympic lifting routine, cleans, power cleans, snatches and power snatches and when I synced it to my phone it said that I burned 918 calories!!! My HR got up to 200 but I have a fast HR normally. Is there anyway this is accurate

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Pretty much impossible to say. How long was your workout? Anything over 10cals per minute and I would assume it's wrong. Anything over 7 cals per minute and I would be skeptical. I typically assume lifting to be in the range of 4-6 cals per minute, depending on a bunch of variables.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, no chance that is accurate. HRMs aren't designed to track calories burned from lifting since the elevated heart rate during rest times will inflate the number (drastically in this case).
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Pretty much impossible to say. How long was your workout? Anything over 10cals per minute and I would assume it's wrong. Anything over 7 cals per minute and I would be skeptical. I typically assume lifting to be in the range of 4-6 cals per minute, depending on a bunch of variables.
    This

HRM's are based on steady state cardio, so usually the burn will be over estimated while using during lifting.
  • smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was working out at a semi-high intensity for about an hour and a half
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    For 1.5 hours, I would put in probably 225 calories as I usually do 150 an hour.
  • smalltown_princess
    smalltown_princess Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys!!
  • Barbados1965
    Barbados1965 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    HRM are designed around using your legs muscles when performing cardio activity to calculate calories burned. At best, it is only an estimate, given that the only parameters they normally ask for are age, sex, height and weight. They have to make a lot of assumptions therefore it is easier to limit it to the larger muscle group in the legs.
    Your heart rate goes up because of oxygen demand from any muscle group. Therefore if you are invoking a smaller muscle group such as your arms you will get a higher heart rate but not burn the same number of calories as compared to invoking the larger muscle group in the legs.
    You can use your HRM to keep in the zone when performing strength routines. It is very effective at keep you in the zone. Heart rate goes to high and your efficient will drop because your O2 demands are being exceeded during you strength training routine.