The "pooch"!

2»

Replies

• beets4us
    beets4us Posts: 57 Member
    Once you get to a low enough weight, reverse crunches might help. It gets at the lower part of the abs
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Thanks, Lis, no way to unsee that! Eye bleach!!!!! :o
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    callie006 wrote: »
    When I was complaining about my pooch even after I'd gotten pretty thin, my aunt told me the pooch is the genetic price the women in our family have to pay for big boobs on small frames. I'd probably have opted for smaller boobs and a flat tummy, but that's beside the point. The point is that if that's where your body likes to hold fat, you're going to have a pooch until you get your body fat lo enough to get rid of it no matter what exercises you do.

Lol. Yay for genetics :) I feel if I lose enough to get rid of the pooch that I will look sickly... Who knows... Embrace the pooch? Haha.

same same :disappointed:
    I've got 8lbs left to goal weight, and I can't see my pooch disappearing with so little to lose. If I lose anymore than that I'll get that sickly hollow look, been there done that.

Me too, mine is here for the duration. 'Til death do us part I guess. We should at least get an anniversary dinner out of this or something. :|

Haha. I'm guessing weight lifting is in our future :grumble:

I just started NROLFW last week. Day 5 tomorrow! o:)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I just like the exfoliating part. I have a back brush but never use it

okay sorry this just reminded me of:
    c8zczzskgxxw.jpeg

Oh man :D:D Or at least, I hope it's a man! <snort>

Sorry, it's late at night, I might be punchy :D
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Thanks, Lis, no way to unsee that! Eye bleach!!!!! :o

laughs, okay a day later and it's STILL funny!
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member

Yes, a back/body brush, you can start brushing in the shower first and then try actual dry brushing - on dry skin before the shower, which is how it's meant to be done but can feel a little harsh at first. Obligatory slathering of lotion after the shower or you'll end up with dry skin.

It's said to improve keratosis pilaris and the look/feel of the skin in general and in my case I can confirm it does.
  • Wiseandcurious
    Wiseandcurious Posts: 730 Member
    Sorry for the off topic BTW, but someone asked. My post is not about the fat, just the skin :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    No.

Strength training will improve the appearance of that area, but to get rid of any "pooch," you need to lose the fat there.*

*This is under the assumption that it is not loose skin from childbirth or something similar, in which case, that may not ever disappear.

This
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    I'm going to start washing certain areas of my body a little less vigorously.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    I was hoping it was not true, but alas it is. You cannot spot reduce. Continuing to drop body fat is how you reduce your pooch. I hit goal weight recently and that was when mine finally started to go.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    I am a military wife, and use the health and wellness center on base. A Trainer there told me that women almost always will have a small pooch "pocket" there. Some women can make it flat, but the majority of the time women have them. I don't know if he was just telling me that to make me not fret about it too much or what, but it made me feel better about it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    I am a military wife, and use the health and wellness center on base. A Trainer there told me that women almost always will have a small pooch "pocket" there. Some women can make it flat, but the majority of the time women have them. I don't know if he was just telling me that to make me not fret about it too much or what, but it made me feel better about it.

Eh...I think they're just saying that. Again, as long as we're not talking about loose skin, I think it's possible for every woman to achieve that amount of leanness. Most women opt not to though, because getting that lean also means that they appear more muscular or "bulky," as they like to say.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member

Yeah. No.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    edited February 2015
    I will always have the pooch after 2 9 lb kids. The skin is just DESTROYED. That said, I wish I had the willpower to get that lean, muscular look. I'll settle for better than I am now, though. :)
  • Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    callie006 wrote: »
    When I was complaining about my pooch even after I'd gotten pretty thin, my aunt told me the pooch is the genetic price the women in our family have to pay for big boobs on small frames. I'd probably have opted for smaller boobs and a flat tummy, but that's beside the point. The point is that if that's where your body likes to hold fat, you're going to have a pooch until you get your body fat lo enough to get rid of it no matter what exercises you do.

Yeah, wonderful. Until the years pass and gravity does it's evil work on the boobs. Then you get two problems instead of one. I'd trade both pooch and big boobs in together if I could!
  • SandyCoils
    SandyCoils Posts: 164 Member
    Pooch, hmph. I've almost given up on it. I think it's just a part of me - especially after 4 kids, one being a c-section. That c-section scar just helps the pooch be more noticeable in my opinion. I'm going to lose weight slow and steady and see where I am in about 18-24 months. I'd love to get a tummy tuck, but with all of the mess going on with plastic surgery I'm really afraid to. I might just have to settle for Spanx instead.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    Have you heard of brushing? I recently started using a bristle brush daily over my problem areas maybe its just in my mind but I think its starting to help me tone my 'pooch'...
    It creates inflammation which pools more blood in the area, but other than that, it's doesn't physically reduce loose skin or fat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,549 Member
    For me, I've had the pooch since I was in middle school. That's where my body likes to store fat (and the butt and thighs). I've decided though at 51 that the rest of me won't look good if I get that lean to lose it so I've had to embrace it. It can be done but I choose not to do it-I don't like the way my face and torso look when I lose too much. (and I do lift heavy).

Something that makes me feel a bit better about it (besides my two children)- Cindy Crawford was being interviewed about looking great at her age and she said she looks pretty darn good when she stands up but when she bends over she looks like a Char Pei!
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited February 2015
    LoL I do love Cindy Crawford... I like that shes honest about it too. Ive read stuff about her fitness etc, and shes real..not all (oh I dont really do anything, work out twice a week and just try not to eat junk! I just have good genes I guess*tee hee!* ) She actually says she has to put effort into taking care of her body.
  • kcmccormack
    kcmccormack Posts: 71 Member
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

okay sorry this just reminded me of:
    c8zczzskgxxw.jpeg

Furminator