Days off

Options
Hello! I have been diligent for the last three weeks, and am seeing results. One question; does anyone else take a "day off"? I have been giving myself one day a week (still making the best choices I can make), but in just imagining what I might have consumed calorie wise (esp alcohol-yikes!), it has me thinking.
Do we ever get a day off?
:(

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Nope. Other than around Thanksgiving and Christmas, I log everything everyday.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    no. i log everything every day. if i go over my calories, so be it. life goes on. exercise to earn more calories. thats how i have to do it LOL.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    No. I log everything and stay within 100 of my calorie limit. I do take days off from exercising and on those days i adjust my calories down to sedentary.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    No. If only to keep my ticker going! I make sure there's something in there every day. Just logging in keeps me mindful.

I do have meals that I don't log (occasional dinner out, vacations, business trips), but if I'm at home then I log pretty much everything apart from maybe one meal a month.
  • nicolaferris420
    nicolaferris420 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    No, I don't have days off. Maybe on the weekend I will have an extra 200 calls or so ,whether that's a glass of wine or something sweet but still log it.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Some people do. The problem is that it's easy to wipe out the whole week's deficit with one day of guessing that you're okay on calories. Our eyes our bigger than our stomachs. At least I'm not good at eyeballing portion sizes and keeping a mental note of what I've eaten. If you do it, you just have to realize that's the reason if you're not seeing expected results. For some folks it's helpful for sticking with it long term to have a day off, but for others it leads to a binge day. If it works for you, great!
  • Cazzy34
    Cazzy34 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I try not to! If i have a day off I know that all the hard work i've put in that week is going to be lost in one day!

I still log even if I'm over! I was almost 1000 cals over on saturday due to valentines day and i know that I've got no chance of losing anything this week because of that! That's a sacrifice I've made, but will have no more cheat days for a while now as I want to lose weight, not maintain!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need for regular days off, or "cheat" days, then you are doing it wrong.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I have a food I call "Other" when I eat out or there's some other reason I can't count the calories and always overestimate. But I still log in every day, even when I go way over.
  • tlc2812
    tlc2812 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I log everyday. The only time I don't log is when I go out to eat ( only once a week) and its a restaurant that I can't find the nutritional info or its a mom and pop place. Even then I try to find something similar to log.
  • crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    OK. I think it is good advice, but it sounds hard to do in practice. I'll have to get a little note pad to track spontaneous meals.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nope. With the exception of a diet break every 6 months, I'm diligent.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    No days off eating when eating what you love in moderation. A day off is when the weight is gone, a holiday or a birthday.

Other than health reasons holding me back, I have a goal to obtain, so staying focused.

You make your own choice on that though. Do what works best for you. I know some people may take a day after they have accomplished specific weight loss goals, eat what they want and start back next day. It won't hurt.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have "cheated" (on my birthday) but I still logged everything even if I went over my goal.

The only exception for me personally would be a holiday meal such as christmas in which I had really no idea how to log many of the food dishes.
  • pap3rw1ngs
    pap3rw1ngs Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have the occasional days where I don't care about calories and I generally don't log (they usually involve things I can't get an accurate calorie count for). They haven't derailed my progress and I generally don't even see a gain from them if I stick to my deficit for the rest of the week.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If you exercise, have you considered saving all or some of those calories for the weekend and using them for your alcohol or whatever? I would still log, though.
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    It's best to log everything everyday. It keeps you accountable.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    OK. I think it is good advice, but it sounds hard to do in practice. I'll have to get a little note pad to track spontaneous meals.

If you have a smartphone, you can download the app so you can log while you're out :)