Elliptical machine question

Options
What features should I look for in an elliptical machine? What brands do you own and like? Any brand(s) I should stay away from?

Replies

• vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Rear drives take up more space but are more durable and less bouncy.
    Get a long stride length.
    See if it can sync with your hrm (if you have one).
    Elevation control allows you to target different muscles in your legs.
    Some have moving arm bars, which to me is a bonus.
    Make sure the cup holder can easily be reached.
    Bonus if the holder for your phone/tablet doesnt block the display.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Be sure to try it out in person.

Every elliptical "feels" different, and I have found that some really really hurt my knees and hips, some are a little uncomfortable, and some are awesome.

In terms of features, I like being able to control the elevation as well as the resistance. (Which is usually a pretty hefty price increase, unfortunately. I certainly don't own one.)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Be sure to try it out in person.

Every elliptical "feels" different, and I have found that some really really hurt my knees and hips, some are a little uncomfortable, and some are awesome.

In terms of features, I like being able to control the elevation as well as the resistance. (Which is usually a pretty hefty price increase, unfortunately. I certainly don't own one.)

Yeah. I use the elliptical, but only because I have to. I've yet to meet an awesome one. What I hate is how far apart the foot pedals usually are. Also, often, the handle things are in a weird position (too far away from your body/too close to the top of the machine. They should be right next to your body as you move, you have to lean a little forward. on the machines I've tried, anyway). The movement path of the pedals (depth and range) is something to look at too (the ones I've tried feel shallow and don't go "wide" enough).

Most of them are set for some non-existent "average" person (probably something like a 5 foot 10 male)
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I have a Precor and it's great. They have a patented cross ramp the it's smooth and comfortable to use. My model doesn't work the arms (I actually don't like that). You can do multiple programs. I think the newer models now allow you to do virtual training on the screen as though you were walking/hiking/running. I've used Precor and Life Fitness at the gym and like both. But Precor is definitelly the most comfortable and flexible.

I won't buy equipment that isn't commercial quality because it'll become a clothes hanger or collect dust. Both Precor and Life Fitness ellipticals are very pricey. I believe $3k or higher...
  • Ainesilver
    Ainesilver Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. It looks like I need to do a lot more research before I purchase one.