Losing gym membership..need at home success stories please!!

Options

Replies

• Lune1980
    Lune1980 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I do zumba on the wii at home. It works well for me.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Find yourself a used bench with weight set, dumbbells up to 20ish lbs each, and some DVD's.

You will find it pays for itself, (vs gym membership), within a couple of months.

Best of Luck!
  • 13suzie
    13suzie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Open front door.

Throw self outside.

Run straight until your watch displays 30 mins and turnaround.

60 min jog a day will do it.

(Works for me.)

If you don't have base in running, simply run SLOWLY.

'Slowly' means slow enough for you to have an easy conversation while jogging.

If you are healthy but don't have a running base, start at 20 and add 5 minutes a day until you hit 60.

***Invest in decent running shoes. Go to a running shoe store and get proper fit and proper model for your foot type.

Biggest, baddest, best, cheapest, most challenging gym is the open road :)
  • ImtheOnethatsCool
    ImtheOnethatsCool Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I run outside for cardio, and for strength training I follow the body-weight workouts from "You Are Your Own Gym". I've taken 2 inches off my hips and 1.5 inches off my waist in the last 2 months.
  • daltem
    daltem Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I still have more to lose but I've lost 29 lbs and have only been walking. I'm a member of a gym but haven't gotten to the place I feel I want to be to go there and use the weights. Good luck!
  • rosehippy77
    rosehippy77 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    <<<<My Gym! Doesn't cost a penny :happy:
    I'd rather use the money I would spend on the gym to fund new clothes as I lose the weight, which is what I've been doing the past 3 months. Actually, I don't spend that much on the clothes, but I try to pick up one new item of clothing to add to my wardrobe each month. About a quarter of the cost of monthly gym membership.
    I downloaded the C25K app, and I now run Tuesdays and Thursdays outside. On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I do 30DS or just some lifting using the hand weights I got in a set of 3 pairs. The weights I got using points I had built up on a loyalty card for the store I bought them from (I'm in the UK) so they were essentially free, but had I paid for them they still would have been reasonably affordable.
    I got 30DS on you tube and watch it through the nintendo Wii on the TV in the lounge, again, free :happy:
    I've lost 11 pounds in as many weeks, and the feeling I get when I run outdoors and the sun is shining is truly priceless.
    You can do it if you really want it and get a workout video that you enjoy.
    Add me if you'd like!

Edited for spelling typo.
  • nikkei18
    nikkei18 Posts: 33
    Options
    I've only been to a gym when my husband worked there and it was free.
    I'm running 3 times a week and use http://www.fitnessblender.com/ for some workouts.
    Feel free to add me, i'm here every day!
  • hseipel12
    hseipel12 Posts: 26
    Options
    I do not have gym membership. My work has a free exercise room, I only use that to use the elliptical. I can't run outside or on a treadmill because of a knee injury. I'm saving up money to get one at home. I have weights at home. I recommend getting them used to save money. I don't really do videos anymore, but I did to start out or once is while when I'm bored with my workouts. If you have Comcast for cable they have a ton of free workout videos on demand. There is aways youtube or you can find used workout videos for pretty cheap too.
  • panda1414
    panda1414 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels!! 30 day Shred and Ripped in 30 are amazing. So many success stories, it's only 25 mins a day, and all you need are a couple of 3-5lb hand weights. I had a membership and cancelled it to follow her programs.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I bought a floor mat and EVERY NIGHT i unroll it out onto the living room floor and every time i see it or walk by it i feel the need to do some sort of exercise - typically calisthenics (planks, push ups, ab crunches) and also some lunges and squats! If you just put the mat out, it will haunt you!!!!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Lost 135 lbs so far mainly at home work with a small collection of basic equipment I've built up over the years. Suspension trainer being the big one.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I haven't set foot in a gym. I mostly do workout DVDs at home (mostly Jillian Michaels), very occasionally I go jogging/walking. I used to take a jazz dance class, and do Wii fitness games.

I know I'd find every excuse in the book to not go leave the house and go to the gym, but it's a little harder to find excuses when my living room is my gym.
  • uscooleys
    uscooleys Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am spoiled with a home gym -- treadmill, elliptical and weights. I am about to start using the 10 Minute Trainer DVDs from BeachBody to incorporate strength training. They are good because depending on how much time I have, I can do 1, 2, 3 or whatever.

And I run outside as much as I can!
  • tinak33
    tinak33 Posts: 9,883 Member
    Options
    Success story from working out at home. No gym membership.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/921892-no-gym-required?hl=no+gym

She got in amazing shape and never went to the gym. She used videos from youtube. Very inspiring!
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I run and hike. I do a lot of Jillian DVD's and have some hand weights and a kettle bell. I got an elliptical on craigslist. I NEVER had a gym memebership.
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms! When I was losing weight and toning I did it all at home. I started with zumba and then when I got bored of that and wanted some toning I switched to Jillian Michaels ripped in 30. This was the best program for me. I lost the remainder of my weight (42 pounds) with that and my whole body was toned up. Everything fit better and I looked smaller than I weighed (I was 130 lbs and 5'6" but fit into size 4 pants and xs tops). I will be doing this again after the baby comes!
  • hottamolly00
    hottamolly00 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I have lost about 12 lbs so far (about 25 more till goal weight) and we just decided to get rid of our gym membership for financial reasons. I am worried I won't push myself enough at home.. I would love to hear some encouragement from you who work out at home. What works for you? Have you had success at home? Thank you!!!

You're in the same boat I was. I've lost 25 pounds in the last 5 months working out from home. (I have a toddler, work full-time...just NO TIME for the gym.)

I get up at 6am to work out while the little one sleeps. I started in January with Jillian Michaels' 30Day Shred, then did her Ripped in 30 DVDs for both Feb and March. Hip Hop Abs for April, and am currently 1/2 way through Insanity. (I had to work up to it...it's hella hard, but effective!!!)

Get up about 10 mins before you actually need to start working out. I use this time to put on my workout clothes, go pee, drink a protein shake/eat something to give me energy (this is important).

I'm not one to work out at night, but hey, if that works for you, go for it. It just wires me and then I can't sleep! :-(
  • juiceplusbecky
    juiceplusbecky Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have never used a gym. I bike, walk (with and without hand weights) and dvds. I try to alternate what and when I do things. I enjoy not wasting the time driving to work-out, plus the cost savings. To me it is a win-win! Good Luck!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    you don't need a gym to hit the pavement do push ups squats ect dumbbells are cheap and you can do a lot with them :)
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've never had a gym membership but it is totally possible to accomplish your fitness goals at home. What you need depends on your goals. A few years ago I lost 85 lbs and all I did was walk and watch my diet. Now I want to build muscle so I invested in a pull up bar ($20) a cheap barball and weight plates at walmart, and I saved up to get a Gold's Gym workout machine, also at Walmart. I can do pretty much any exercise I want and if I can't do it I find a modification for it. www.bodybuilding.com is a great resource for weight lifting exercises with videos to learn form. With You Tube you don't even have to buy workout DVD's, a bunch of Jillian Michaels can be found there. I haven't reached my goals yet, but I am very happy with my progress so far.