How to battle blowing it at holiday meals and bbq's

Options
Anyone have any tips on how to battle gatherings centered around food? I seem to have slowed my progress down now that summer has come and the bbq's have started.

Replies

• NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    I try to do little things, like no bun with my meat (weather it be a hot dog, burger, sausage etc). Only one serving, do not go up for seconds. Try to stay away from the creamy salads. Try drinking lots of water before you go to fill you up.
    But having said that you do need to let yourself enjoy from time to time or you really will go off the rails.
    Good luck.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Portion control and exercise.
  • thedietguru
    Options
    I just indulge for holidays and when out of town family get-togethers happen.... and then fast the next day. Calorie deficit and McD's both achieved.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I eat before I go so I am totally not hungry, then put something small on my plate and take forever to eat it... as long as you are happy and enjoy being there, people won't scrutinize everything you do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem last summer since we host a bbq most weekends, and those that we don't it's usually because we are attending one at a friend's house. So, now I just eat less calories during week so that I can indulge more on the weekends. That, plus getting in a good morning workout on the weekends, has worked for me.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I just go for the meat and the salads
  • specialemy
    specialemy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Perhaps eat whatever is healthy eating to you before you head over to a gathering. This way, you've had something already good for you and perhaps won't binge on too much of anything else being served. You can still socialize and have a beverage in your hand, and maybe just only eat dessert, or have a nice helping of fruit if served.
  • mic23919
    mic23919 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! I have been training for a half marathon so I have the exercise part down it's just the eating now. Typically I would go to holiday dinners and bbq's with the mindset eat whatever and make up for it during the week. But it just makes me more likely to indulge during the week. I will try out the tips this weekend at all the graduation parties I have.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    portion control and exercise

i second this. also, maybe eat a little less earlier in the day.

sometimes these events have a salad. sometimes they don't. bring one. load up on it. lately, i've also been loving grilled vegetables, like peppers, asparagus, etc. corn on the cob is good too.

and grilled plain old meat is pretty healthy. it's the bbq sauces that have a lot of "bad stuff" that people don't like. so just call ahead and ask for a few pieces of meat that are unmarinated.

burgers?? ask for lettuce, tomato, and onion on that piece.

but you know what i think kills a lot of people at these bbqs?? the booze.
  • mic23919
    mic23919 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    One good thing is I don't drink because I am allergic to it, weird I know. Have you ever called ahead? I am always worried about people thinking I am a pain or that I am "that girl" on a diet.
  • lostdogg
    lostdogg Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit especially melons and grapes ate huge successes at bbqs in the summer. Snack on some of those with water before you dive into the "meat and taters". It will help with portion control. Let's face it. It's so much easier to grab a half slab of ribs smothered in sauce than it is to slice four ribs off of the end when you're on an empty stomach. Also, as mentioned above, trade off the potatoe salads for corn on the cob.
    Also invite new dishes to the grill. Chicken, pineapple, and cherries on a kabob with a raspberry vinegrette drizzle cooked on the grill beats a hot dog any day.
    Remember to occasionally reward yourself for good practices to prevent a burn out.
    Good luck with the next bbq.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    One good thing is I don't drink because I am allergic to it, weird I know. Have you ever called ahead? I am always worried about people thinking I am a pain or that I am "that girl" on a diet.

i've never called ahead, but i'm sure you're going to the house of a person you know and communicate at least semi-regularly. in one of those conversations just go "hey, on saturday do you think you can just make a few piece of meat unmarinated, and without a lot of salt? oh, and do you want me to bring something, like a salad, or some fruit salad?"

if someone gives you trouble, just tell a little white lie that the doctor need you to watch your blood sugar, or something.