Nope.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Nah me either
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    It depends. How vigorous is the work as compared to your normal day? How do you currently have your activity level set?
  • jessleon1984
    jessleon1984 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Really? I'm sure it must burn allot of calories?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Only weed whacking
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Depends on the type of gardening. Watering your potted plant on the deck? No I wouldn't count that. The type of gardening found in the Gone series where you have to out run worms? Yeah, I'd count that. Anything in between it really depends. I would count cleaning but maybe not eat all the exercise cals back.
  • jessleon1984
    Options
    I have it set as lightly active but everyday I clean and garden for hours and feel like I'm burning allot of calories
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've seen people log 500 calories for housework. All I can say is that they must pump it out at Olympic speed lol
    I don't log housework or gardening, whatever I do burn is just a little added bonus
  • jessleon1984
    Options
    I have it set as lightly active but everyday I clean and garden for hours and feel like I'm burning allot of calories
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    If you clean houses for work, you have probably already set your activity level to reflect that, so no.

We're doing a pretty big project on the yard, lots of digging and planting and moving paving stones, so I count a portion of that time. If I stick to raking leaves, it doesn't get counted.

Remember that MFP tends to overestimate exercise calories.
  • jessleon1984
    Options
    Ok thanks :) I think il log half of what I burn
  • SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I log mowing as it take 5 hours and when I do MAJOR spring cleaning.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't count it. I just leave it as a bonus. Almost like calorie insurance haha (just in case I forgot something along the way)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's your rate of loss over the last 6-8 weeks?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

How big is your yard?!?
  • Christine_72
    edited February 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

How big is your yard?!?

Lol that was my first thought.
    It takes me less than 10 minutes to mow my lawn. The lawn in the garden.... I mean :wink:

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I live on a farm, and yes its a huge area
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I don't count them but I wear a Fitbit and get step credit while doing those activities. That is enough for me.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    What's your rate of loss over the last 6-8 weeks?

This is the key question. When you log food and exercise, you're estimating. Only your real weight loss (or gain, or maintenance) reveals how those estimates match up with reality. If you're not losing weight as fast as you want, you're either overestimating exercise, underestimating calories eaten, or overestimating daily activity. (There will also be a little individual variation, but less than many people assume.)

If you do log gardening, and you're not losing as quickly as you want, stop logging and see what happens. If you log and you're losing at your desired rate, then you're OK.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'm always cleaning stuff...fixing stuff...doing yard work...taking care of the kids, etc. this isn't "exercise"...I include it in my activity level as part of my daily. If I happen to have a big day in the yard I chalk it up to owing myself a couple beers.