Starting a Vegan Lifestyle- Need HELP!

Options
2»

Replies

• lifeandleaves
    lifeandleaves Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Join the happy herbivores group here. :) I'm vegan and in that group. Not looking for more friends on here but happynto network in the group with anyone looking for information.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a year, then started eating meat again. Now I am real sure that I want to be full vegan. I believe it's the ethical way to go, plus it will make me feel better about myself since I will be saving animals.

You know, if a lot of you people...grow...into being vegans, then maybe the price of steak will go down for those of us at the very top of the food chain! That would be cool. And ethically, you wont make a dent. Those cows will still be killed for us humans that have evolved to eat meat. Morally, I say you are doing what makes you happy. I will never go vegan unless I am forced to by some situation, like famine or price of meat skyrockets. I believe I will go through one period of famine in my lifetime. In which case, I would be stocking up on butter and fatty cuts of meat.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Personally refusing to participate in exploitation won't end all exploitation, but it will certainly create some form of difference. I imagine even steadfast omnivores agree with that, as there are probably forms of human exploitation that they refuse to support - - even though others continue to do so.

Veganism will only fail to make a difference if you believe that animal exploitation is somehow outside the realm of economics, that is, you think those producing meat, dairy, eggs, and other animal products will produce a constant amount, regardless of actual demand.
  • JordanLomb
    JordanLomb Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a year, then started eating meat again. Now I am real sure that I want to be full vegan. I believe it's the ethical way to go, plus it will make me feel better about myself since I will be saving animals.

It's hard to ignore the ethical side of food, I feel you. Been vegan for almost a year now and have done so on a college student budget, feel free to add me!
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan! Would really love to connect with other fruit and veggie lovers! :) Feel free to add me!
  • mkup04
    mkup04 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Can any one help me with a question? What are higher vegan proteins other than soy? I can not eat soy. Thanks!
  • EssieStar96
    Options
    protein powder=16 grams, peanut butter sandwich= 15 grams , hempseed=10 grams.
    Here's an article on protein for vegans: http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins
  • Dragon303
    Dragon303 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    mkup04 wrote: »
    Can any one help me with a question? What are higher vegan proteins other than soy? I can not eat soy. Thanks!

I like hemp protein (hemp hearts are really tasty on salads) and seitan (wheat meat) as a main dish. No soy in either. Veganomicon cookbook has some great seitan recipes.

I'm 98% vegan for a year and my diary is open - feel free to add me.
  • Dragon303
    Options
    Someone already mentioned the Happy Herbivore for veggie support... The Team Vegan group has some great tips too.

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    @Dragon303 - can you post links to the groups please - since MFP improved things here it is a nightmare to search for groups.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    yogicarl wrote: »
    @Dragon303 - can you post links to the groups please - since MFP improved things here it is a nightmare to search for groups.

Here is the link.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/45-happy-herbivores
  • Sonyaleigh2012
    Options
    Tomorrow I am going to start eating vegan, anyone want to join me? I need help.

• Sonyaleigh2012
    Options
    Tomorrow I am going to start eating vegan, anyone want to join me? I need help.
    I've been vegan for a couple of years and vegetarian for 25. Most of my information came from online sources such as Oh She Glows, Your Vegan Mom, and the Vegan Society. I love being vegan and feel awesome at age 56. I also exercise regularly and am the fittest I have ever been! Best wishes on your vegan journey! !

• yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
  • Dragon303
    Options
    @yogicarl Sure thing....how do I do that? :). I'm new to this app and some of the features are still baffling lol
  • healthygal95
    healthygal95 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Vegan here with an open diet, feel free to add me.