Hmmm... help!

ahertel0214
ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
edited November 2023 in Food and Nutrition
I'm going to toss this one out there - any & all feedback will be appreciated!

This is my 4th day on MFP and I'm loving it! What an amazing tool!

My questions is, I seem to be having a problem keeping my protein intake below my daily recommended amount on non work out days. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is it hurtful to my goal?

Thanks in advance for your help & have a wonderful day!

Replies

• ahertel0214
    I'm going to toss this one out there - any & all feedback will be appreciated!

This is my 4th day on MFP and I'm loving it! What an amazing tool!

My questions is, I seem to be having a problem keeping my protein intake below my daily recommended amount on non work out days. Has anyone else run into this problem? Is it hurtful to my goal?

Thanks in advance for your help & have a wonderful day!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Skinnier_Me Posts: 341 Member
    Hi ahertel0214,

I am always going over my protein but it has not affected my weight loss at all.
    When I first started using this site, I was losing a pound every week and now I'm losing 2 pounds a week.

So don't worry. As long as you're doing ok with your calories, fat, carbs and everything else, you're fine. =)
  • ahertel0214
    Skinnier_Me,

Thanks for that - I appreciate it!

Also, in my looking through this site I've noticed that you often repy to posts with positive feedback - I think it's fantastic that you contribute so much & I'm sure others appreciate it also.

Thanks again!
  • Skinnier_Me
    Hiya ahertel0214!

I try to do as much as I can.
    I have 2 girls so when they are playing with eachother or the baby is taking her nap, I hop on and catch up on things, enter my foods or look for recipes.

I absolutely love this site. It's so easy and has helped my so much with my weight loss.

~Joanna =)
  • dnjcountry
    dnjcountry Posts: 22 Member
    I have not really watched my protein intake. I sort of eat the same everyday . even on my none workout days. It seems if I try to cut down on the proteins. It takes me more effort the next day to get back on track. If your not gaining, I say stay with what you got going.
    Of course I am not A pro on the subject. This is just my experience with the food.
    I do have to watch the sugar intake though on my non work out days.

J-
  • abrown323
    abrown323 Posts: 22 Member
    Skinnier_Me....

Tell me your secret. How are you losing 2 Lbs a week.

I burn between 400 and 500 calories in a day but they are split up into 2 workouts. One is in the morning on the treadmill for 30 minutes before I eat and then when I get home I do some circuit training for about 15 minutes and finish with some fat burning cardio on the treadmill for another 20 minutes or so. I eat 1200 calories a day and if I work out I eat those calories back so that I am not starving my body. All of my food is low in fat, high in fiber and I eat a little protein with every meal (mainly dairy protein, except 1 or 2 servings of animal protein). I have been really good with my sugars lately.

What are you doing? Please tell us!
  • kimford28
    kimford28 Posts: 320
    I too tend to go over my protein intake, and haven't noticed any negative affects. You should be fine:) Keep up the good work!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    OK, I was just reading about protein intake online today. The formula I go by is my body weight divided by two equals how many grams of protein I'm aiming for. So, at 140, I'm eating 70grams a day.
    I changed this setting, because my goal was too low for this formula as it was set.

There's a way to adjust the automatic settings, but I forget how I did it.

The formula I use is from a great website: www.radiantrecovery.com. It's for recovering sugar addicts like me...I guess like a lot of us.
  • nancym
    nancym Posts: 49
    This is what several doctors have told me...protein needs are determined by this method...
    Your ideal weight divided by 2.2 equals ?. Then take ? and multiply by 1.25. That is your protein needs for weight loss. This site uses its own formula that you can alter in Tools, I believe. I haven't done it in a while but others like Mike can tell you. I go over my protein count using this method, but I do not worry.
    I am like others in that I have to greatly reduce my carbohydrates as I am hypoglycemic with hyper insulinism. So I don't use the sites suggested numbers but they are correct for some others.
    After reading 2 books on Leptin, I do know that too many carbohydrates, especially cheap carbs are bad for most people. Also, books by Dr Carlton Fredericks, although older books, are just as important and relevant today as any other time.
    Good luck and don't worry about your protein.
    nancym
  • jill
    jill Posts: 11
    Wanted to say hi to the other recovering sugar-holic! Radiantrecovery.com is such a great resource. I highly recommend it as well.

Jill
  • julieofthewolves
    julieofthewolves Posts: 339 Member
    My weight loss instructor says to eat more protein than what is indicated by this tool. She said that protein helps your body feel full, build muscle mass (which burns more calories) and proteins take more calories to break down in your body.
  • Skinnier_Me
    abrown323,

It's not a secret..
    As I started losing weight, I gained so much energy and played alot more with my 2 girls.

That right there burns so many calories. I jump on the trampoline with them, I go out for walks as I'm pulling them in the wagon, I run around the house being a kid with them.... the more weight I lose, the more energy I gain. =)

~Joanna
  • apaden4
    apaden4 Posts: 137 Member
    OK as for the protein thing, I hear most of you saying you tend to go over your daily amount of protein. I always have trouble even coming close to it. What should I be eating to give me more protein?
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    I find a lot of proteins in my 0 fat yogurt, low fat cheese and chicken breast (no skin). They don't cost to much calories and fill you up!
  • cwalbrj
    cwalbrj Posts: 61
    I eat a lot of chicken (skinless/breast) - usually for dinner, and it hikes up my protein. But I am losing about a pound a week, so I think you'll be okay going over. I like the post about protein uses more calories to burn (good news!).
    Joanne - loved the pic of your two babies.. adorable !!
    I swear, I'll get around to posting a pic soon.

Joni
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Yep, I go over on protein, too. I've lost consistently two pounds a week since August 22.

I use a lot of soy product and my favorite veggie snack is Edamame, which is baby soy bean pods. For the poster wondering how to get more protein, this is a great vegetable choice, and SOOO tasty. I also use only soy milk (not animal milk) and eat only low-fat cheeses.

~cmriverside and workout pal - kitty Budhi ("booty")
This discussion has been closed.