do you eat bread?

Options
So I have been following a self-hybrided (I made up that word) diet. Trying to cut out almost all bad carbs. bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. I eat allot of proteins, turkey, chicken, eggs, turkey, turkey oh and turkey.

short version, getting sick of it. cutting vegetable to low glycemic ones but even skimping there too.

I read in my Les Mills Combat eating guide that they eat things like high fiber whole grain English muffins and wraps and high fiber low sugar breads, brown rice and quinoa. sweet potatoes and other things I was sure were no-no's.

do you eat carbs? do you limit them to mornings? for a person who works out 60-90 minutes 6x a week are they ok if your goal is to loose weight?

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    So I have been following a self-hybrided (I made up that word) diet. Trying to cut out almost all bad carbs. bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. I eat allot of proteins, turkey, chicken, eggs, turkey, turkey oh and turkey.

short version, getting sick of it. cutting vegetable to low glycemic ones but even skimping there too.

I read in my Les Mills Combat eating guide that they eat things like high fiber whole grain English muffins and wraps and high fiber low sugar breads, brown rice and quinoa. sweet potatoes and other things I was sure were no-no's.

do you eat carbs? do you limit them to mornings? for a person who works out 60-90 minutes 6x a week are they ok if your goal is to loose weight?

There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" carbs.

I eat carbs. They are delicious. Timing/frequency of consumption of any foods is irrelevant and has no bearing on weight loss whatsoever.

If your goal is to lose weight, you do not need to cut out any foods. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Regardless of the food you're eating. Simple as that.
  • natmadc
    natmadc Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I try not to "cut" out anything , I just watch my calories intake

and I especially enjoy all the things listed in your third parpgraph

"high fiber whole grain English muffins and wraps and high fiber low sugar breads, brown rice and quinoa. sweet potatoes"

Sweet Potatoes have sooo many nutritional benefits and they are absolutely delicious!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    All I like are carbs...
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    of course i eat carbs. why wouldn't i?
    i don't go overboard with them and try to keep to whole grain products instead of white but if i want some white bread, i eat it.
    with all the working out you do, you should probably not cut them out completely. they do provide fuel after all.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

I eat carbs. They are delicious. Timing/frequency of consumption of any foods is irrelevant and has no bearing on weight loss whatsoever.

If your goal is to lose weight, you do not need to cut out any foods. As long as you maintain a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Regardless of the food you're eating. Simple as that.

^^^ pretty much what she said.

for what its worth, I really limit bread because I can eat so much of it, but those other "Bad carbs" that you listed are not bad at all. Rice and potatoes are bad? Those are complex carbs!

I really pay attention to 3 things in this order of importance:

1) hit my calorie goal - PRIORITY #1
    2) hit my MINIMUM protein goal - 1g per lb of LBM.
    3) hit my MINIMUM fat goal - 0.35g per lb of body weight.

After I hit my protein and fat goals, I just eat whatever I want to finish up my calories - ice cream, bread, chocolate, whatever I want.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

^This. I eat carbs all the time. They are yummy. I had 500 carbs the other day and I savored every tasty bite. I also enjoy carbs just before bed (and for dinner and breakfast and really all day). As long as I consume fewer calories in a day than I use, I lose weight. I find the less I restrict foods, the more likely I am to believe that I can and will eat that way for the rest of my life. That's what works for me.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I eat bread, though not every day. Last night for dinner I had a fish sandwich. I eat grains several days a week in one form or another, though I eat quinoa, Flat Out brand wraps (whole grain, high fiber) and brown rice more than bread.

I average 161 carbs per day and 35 g of fiber, so 126 g net carbs. I think rather than focusing on carbs, it's more important to focus on fiber, especially when it comes to grains. High fiber grains are usually more nutritious, fiber can lower the risk of heart disease and keep us regular.
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options

This is very brave and unnecessary of you.
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I did that a while ago, eliminating all refined carbs. Sounds good but sucks. A calorie is a calorie and a carb is a carb. Eat them. Don't eat Too much of them.
  • amymartinez2009
    Options
    I was struggling with this topic for years and I finally saw a nutritionist when I had gastric surgery. They explained that not all carbs are bad and as long as you limit your intake.
  • HIITMe
    HIITMe Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I live for this stuff
    tumblr_md4kqtHAVy1qlmjgm.jpg
  • watermillion
    watermillion Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat carbs. I'll eat a slice of toast with my breakfast, and then for lunch have a baked potato. I don't like anything on my baked potato, I eat it plain and it tastes really good to me. I think sour cream is gross. I know I'm weird:)

I used to do low carb but got sick and tired of always having to cook every single meal. Gradually over time my taste buds changed, so eating a hamburger w/ no bun was nasty & just not fulfilling. No matter what I put on the burger, I always felt unsatisfied. Like I needed something more. So now my diet consists of carbs in moderation and I feel content until the next meal.
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    Not a lot bread but what I do eat is sourdough or plain white that I've baked.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I have been cutting things out for the 10 years and I am still fat - ice cream, limiting bread etc. This time around I refuse to cut anything out, this is it for me. If I cannot cope with eating in moderation, then I should just give up. I am eating bread (whole foods prairie bread is my favorite), along with Noosa yogurt (bought 24 today at $1.25 each) from Harris Teeter, Haagen Daz ice cream, cashew nuts, almond butter, pizza now and again (not too fussy). I am going to live my life as I intend with the food that is available and eat in moderation.

I have never lost this much weight without cutting anything out.
  • adifitblr
    adifitblr Posts: 1
    Options
    You don't have to NOT eat carbs at all, this is wrong for your body !! eat whole grain &wheat
    it's fantastic!!
  • IronFiend
    IronFiend Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs, I find that I lose strength when I do very low carb. However, I do not eat breads, cereals, etc. My carbs consist of steel cut oats, veggies, brown rice, and sweet potatoes.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yes everyday:)
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I love bread. My hubby makes the best home made. . not in a bread machine, but real from scratch loaves of bread, a few times a month. Warm slices with melty butter. . .yep...I eat them. I also eat other carbs. Carbs make the world go 'round. Now, I'm not trying to look like a fitness model or be an elite athlete. . .if that's your goal, I clearly can't help you there.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    The more carb filled foods I eat, the stronger I feel for morning lifts or runs.
  • silverinc13
    silverinc13 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Carbs are delicious wonderful things. I'll be limiting them in an upcoming cut but I would never cut them out completely. Plus whole grain ones are full of delicious fiber!