What's the right Diet for you?

Options
I came across this informative documentry and thought it would be very helpful. It is based off of science and research.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejKsL34s7cE

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I like things based off science and research.
  • joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Its a three parter done by Horizon on the BBC. I watched it when it was first broadcast and found it very interesting, and it gave me motivation to try the 5:2 diet again after I failed to lose any weight the first time. Its nice to see the people so successful but would be interesting to go back after a year and see if the dieters had stuck to their plans.
  • georgygirl
    georgygirl Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes I watched this and found it interesting but I don't fall into any of the catergories.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I don't see my overeating patterns fitting into any of these groups either. Too bad! I'll just have to eat less calories than I burn, like the groups on the show. ;)

I agree some introspection into the reasons behind our overeating can be helpful. Often, for me, it's as simple as not having enough healthful foods on-hand to eat when I'm hungry.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I believe I'm all three so I basically need to go on a high protein low calorie 5:2 plan while going to rah tah meetings. Interesting. I may also belong to the easily distracted group that loses interest after a short while, and the social eater group, and the "I will eat it just because it's around" group, and the "this is how I was raised" group, and the "I'm too lazy to put in effort" group... well, lots of groups.

I may not totally agree with the over-simplification of the sorting, or some of the tests (heck, I would say I'm hungry just to stop picking those strawberries), I also may not agree how this has a "it's not your fault" feel to it, but with all that said I do agree that every single person who wants to lose weight needs to understand that this is a multi dimensional problem and that a simple "calorie in calorie out", though true, may not be enough to achieve or keep desired results.

Recognizing my personal pitfalls and trying to work around them in a way that does not feel forced has been crucial to my weight loss.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Saw a lot of cherry strawberry picking there. I wonder how many potential test subjects they went through in order to find enough single-caused situations to pull that off.
  • jessiethe3rd
    jessiethe3rd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    While maybe predisposed to one modality more than another, diet challenges are going to be an amalgamation. Hence why they used a qualified litmus group vs general population. The experiment is novel and a good idea, however, like all empirical studies it tends to deal in definite not diversities.

Interesting all the same.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    The YT comments are entertaining. I don't know why some people get so threatened by other people figuring out what psychological means they need to use to help themselves reduce their calorie intake.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    I wonder how much taste affects such tests, not this one but all tests that involve eating meals in general. When I first saw that sushi banquet my first thought was "I would barely shuffle through one plate" because I don't like sushi.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't see my overeating patterns fitting into any of these groups either. Too bad! I'll just have to eat less calories than I burn, like the groups on the show. ;)

I agree some introspection into the reasons behind our overeating can be helpful. Often, for me, it's as simple as not having enough healthful foods on-hand to eat when I'm hungry.

Agree with this. There was a quiz associated with the show that told me I was none of the above, but I could have told them that. But the underlying idea that the drivers for weight gain are different for different people (the cause is the same, of course--eating more than you burn), and that you have to identify what is a problem for you and what helps you is a good one. I know for me there are certain things (like having foods in the house that are quick to prepare and fit my idea of how I like to eat) that make eating in a way conducive to losing weight and working out really easy and other things that do not. Figuring these things out and making it as easy as possible has been a key to this for me.

• Jolinia
    Jolinia Posts: 846 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks for this, watching now. Love documentaries on nutrition and diet!
  • JPW1990
    Options
    I'm on the 2nd video (there's 3 total). The milkshake experiment was interesting. I kinda want to have that done, though I don't think my results would be as bright yellow/white as hers.
  • Jolinia
    edited February 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    I'm on the 2nd video (there's 3 total). The milkshake experiment was interesting. I kinda want to have that done, though I don't think my results would be as bright yellow/white as hers.

Whoo hoo I know what I'm doing with my day!

I already know I'm mostly a feaster. But pasta, grains, and lentils? No way, I can eat buckets of the stuff.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

I already know I'm mostly a feaster. But pasta, grains, and lentils? No way, I can eat buckets of the stuff.

I am big part feaster, but I find it weird they said potatoes were a big no. They're one of the most filling things on the planet for me.
  • JPW1990
    Options
    Here's the link to part 3, the first one it suggests is the wrong episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10lOx91a-3k
  • Jolinia
    Options
    Jolinia wrote: »

I am big part feaster, but I find it weird they said potatoes were a big no. They're one of the most filling things on the planet for me.

Potatoes used to fill me up, but last year when I hit around 110 pounds, I started eating the heck out of some sweet potato. I mean like 2000 calories in a sitting.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Potatoes and sweet potatoes really fill me up too.

Maybe it's good I've decided that 110 isn't a sensible goal for me.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Potatoes and sweet potatoes really fill me up too.

Maybe it's good I've decided that 110 isn't a sensible goal for me.

I felt so good at 110, though! And now that I gained some weight back, I hate the jiggle sensation of my belly when I run. Otherwise I'd just stay around 120.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I get the impression from your posts that you might be putting more pressure on yourself to be super thin than you need--that it's more a body image thing. But obviously I don't know, and could be totally off base, so good luck with your goals.
  • Jolinia
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I get the impression from your posts that you might be putting more pressure on yourself to be super thin than you need--that it's more a body image thing. But obviously I don't know, and could be totally off base, so good luck with your goals.

I appreciate the input, but I felt physically fantastic when I weighed 110. Although I'm as vain as the next woman and I certainly dislike the look of my belly in the mirror right now, too.

Also, I might be a craver just as much as a feaster. I will go through the bakery and cookie section of the store and stare at the foods. Then I walk away satisfied with myself for exerting willpower and not buying them.