How do I stop over eating?

Options
I can't seem to get this right in my head, I know I shouldn't eat and my calories say I am not hungry but....I eat until I almost feel sick and then I feel disgusted with myself. I try eat well, fruits and veggies, limiting portions, logging it, and I do really well until about 7 pm. Later in the day I just am tired and it is what I do, I eat. I am not sure what other people tell themselves to control their eating. I have even been doing JM 30 day shred-so I really do want this, I just can't seem to stop or slow down the eating. I am aiming for 1600 calories and I go over by at least 500 everyday. This is so embarrassing and shameful, I don't even want to post it...please help me, nothing fits any more....

Replies

• theutahdesertfox
    theutahdesertfox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First off--hi and welcome. My first foray into bodyweight exercise was the 30 Day Shred. I LOVE Jillian. Anywho, you should know that exercise is at most 20% of weight loss.

Have you ever talked to a therapist about an emotional addiction to food or a physical addiction (likely to sugar)? I had similar issues most of my life and I finally broke free of it and now even if I'm ignoring counting, I don't mindlessly eat a whole bag of chips anymore. It's not a matter of willpower if you have an addiction, even an emotional one.

Since I did that's the best advice I can offer. Speak to a therapist or better yet, a nutritionist. It's nothing shameful to seek help. A ton of people have very unhealthy relationships with food. I'm here if you want to talk...on occasion I find myself wanting to shove the fridge in my mouth at the same time, toward the end of the day. It's a unwinding ritual.

Add me if you'd like!
  • jglovicz
    jglovicz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Can you analyze and change your routine? Are you exhausted at the end of your day? Do you park yourself in front of the tv for a few hours before bed? Instead, can you schedule yourself a walk around the block, a hot bath, then early to bed? Can you finish dinner, have herbal tea, then shut off the lights to the kitchen? Can you take up knitting/needlepoint/drawing/painting to occupy your hands and mind when you're relaxing? Once you get through one day, you will feel so proud and powerful that it will motivate you to keep going. Remember that you're the only one that controls what goes into your mouth. Do you have low self esteem - perhaps it would be beneficial for you to speak to someone about your struggles?
    Also, 30ds is a great workout, but it's still pretty short - can you add some cardio to increase your burn to reduce the aftermath of an extra 500 calories? That (obviously) requires a lifestyle change, but you may be less likely to eat back all of your calories if you spent an hour running.
    Good luck - you can do this!
  • PaulJRaymond
    PaulJRaymond Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Willpower. This comes from toy, not anyone else.

Also set realistic goals. If you've been eating 3,000 kcal a day for years it's probably nit going to end well if you suddenly half that.

Toy?
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    You CAN do this. We have all overcome different challenges. I would suggest you brush your teeth around that time and see if that help. Also...drink 20 oz of water...it will fill you up. Make sure you're eating a healthy well balanced diet. If you're eating clean it's plenty of food and you won't be hungry. Give it a try for 2 weeks and see what a difference it makes. One day at a time.
  • novembersuse
    novembersuse Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think brushing your teeth is the best measure! The evenings are absolutely the hardest time of day. When your hunger has been building up all day, and you suddenly have a bit of time on your hands. You could try logging things on your diary before you eat them (easier said than done, I know). Or make sure you don't have any of your downfalls in the cupboard.
  • crystaljeana
    Options
    I had that problem. It was very frustrating because for most of the day I stayed on track, but towards the evening I still wanted to eat, but by the time evening hit I found myself not having enough calories left over for the day. I would not deprive myself (I don't believe in that) and that would take me over my limit by hundreds just like you. What I realized is that while I was on track for most of the day I was not leaving enough calories left over when evening hit. It might help to find calories to cut in your earlier meals - breakfast, etc so that you have those extra calories around 7pm when you really get tired and just feel like eating.

It is not that you should not eat you just have to make room for it. In having that same tendency, I realized I had to cut my calories even more for breakfast and/or lunch and now when I feel like snacking towards the end of the day I can do so without feeling guilty as I made room for those calories. When I was into aerobic exercises that was the way I made a room for my calories, but I now do not exercise much at all. I was already eating my foods in proper portions, but I still had to cut even more calories to make room for the evening.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Quick tips
    1. Not drinking while eating allows the food to remain at the top of your stomach instead of being washed down to the bottom.
    2. A 30 minute walk at a brisk pace allows you to eat 220 calories making room for more to eat.
    3. Excercise increases the feel good endorphins in your body so you can get through the tired parts of your day
    4. Set personal goals every week and focus on those.
    5. Find accountability friends who support you and ask for encouraging thoughts.
    6. Find friends who are on the same track as you. Current weight height target and work with them.
    7. Quit wheat. Wheat actually turns to sugar quicker than other grains and causes hunger pains 1-2 hours after a meal which contains wheat.

Best plan is to focus on yourself. I'm working on 60 lbs, down 24 thus far, but want this for meeee ee
  • jlaw_1992
    jlaw_1992 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    How are your macros? I find that I feel best when I get no less than 35% of my calories from fat, and that's just my personal preference. I'd play around with that a little bit and pay attention to how you feel.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    mommazach wrote: »
    Quick tips
    1. Not drinking while eating allows the food to remain at the top of your stomach instead of being washed down to the bottom.
    7. Quit wheat. Wheat actually turns to sugar quicker than other grains and causes hunger pains 1-2 hours after a meal which contains wheat.

What? And you don't have to quit eating wheat....... :o

Don't keep temptation in the house, don't eat mindlessly, write down everything BEFORE you eat it and ask yourself if it is worth it?
    And lastly, take responsibility for what you put in your mouth, no one else can do that for you.....
  • shamani5
    shamani5 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Eat clean and drink lots of water, especially if you're still hungry after a meal. Try and schedule some exercise for the time of day you normally would like to eat most. Get rid of any/all packaged food in your home or at least anything salty or sweet. Cut sugar! Sugar increases appetite and is addicting (I would stay away from artificial sweeteners as well). Eat more protein and fat and less carbs. Get rid of white foods like white rice and white bread. Open your food diary to public if it isn't already so you feel more accountability as everyone can view it. Feel free to add me, I would love to continue helping :smiley:
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Try to keep tempting foods out of the house -- I can't always do this because my partner has a teenage son who eats, well like a teenage boy. Lots of good advice above, go for a walk after dinner and drink lots of water. Change some other habits. My hardest time is cleaning up the kitchen after dinner because I'm tempted to eat a few leftovers and I have to keep opening the fridge to put things away.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    If you can save calories for eating at night, do that. If this is more of a 'binge' situation, change your routine during the time you usually binge - whatever happens after 7 that triggers you emotionally to eat, try to remove that trigger. Brushing your teeth definitely helps, as does keeping yourself busy.
  • KrunchyMama
    KrunchyMama Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    ntftnm wrote: »
    I can't seem to get this right in my head, I know I shouldn't eat and my calories say I am not hungry but....I eat until I almost feel sick and then I feel disgusted with myself. I try eat well, fruits and veggies, limiting portions, logging it, and I do really well until about 7 pm. Later in the day I just am tired and it is what I do, I eat. I am not sure what other people tell themselves to control their eating. I have even been doing JM 30 day shred-so I really do want this, I just can't seem to stop or slow down the eating. I am aiming for 1600 calories and I go over by at least 500 everyday. This is so embarrassing and shameful, I don't even want to post it...please help me, nothing fits any more....

I eat when I'm tired. I notice you have little kids, I do too. I often found myself eating after getting them into bed. Now, instead of eating, I go to bed too. I wake up feeling more refreshed, and no guilt from late-night binging.