No impact cardio?

Options
So I have a foot injury. I haven't been to the doctor, yet, but I'm pretty sure that I have a stress fracture in one of the bones on the top side of my left foot. It's horribly painful - enough so that even doing squats today killed me!! :noway:

Besides the squats, all I did today was lift. But I feel like I'm JUST getting into a good pattern of working out (I usually run 3 times a week, do other cardio like the elliptical or bike 2-3 times per week and rest one day) and I don't want to lose the results I'm getting OR my momentum! Frankly, I'm devastated that this happened - it's a blow to me right now. :sad:

Does anyone have any suggestions for very low or NO impact cardio?

P.S. I have NO access to a pool, so that's out. :frown:

Replies

• MrsDanner78
    MrsDanner78 Posts: 107
    Options
    So no one has any suggestions? Man, I'm screwed, aren't I?
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are screwed, yup. Go see a Doctor, and don't do anything that makes your foot hurt in the meantime. You might be able to do some upper body resistance training (seated), or use an "arm cycle" thingy for cardio (don't know what the real name is, but it's like a stationary bike you "pedal" with your arms). But go see a Doctor!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I googled your hometown listed on your profile and found this option, which seems pretty reasonable: http://www.anoka.k12.mn.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=297752&linkid=nav-menu-container-4-382879

I do think swimming may be your best bet. If the pool is out, what about a nearby lake or river?

For cardio, rowing would be my next suggestion, followed by spinning, and then the elliptical.

You might also use this time to work on strength training. There are many strength exercises you can do seated and/or without putting pressure on your injured foot.

If any of these cause pain, obviously, stop.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Swimming, bike, rower. Try it out, see what doesn't hurt. And what doesn't hurt afterwards.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Shake Weights! the effort of shaking the thing makes me sweat like crazy and my HRM shows that its working!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a pool, definitely try swimming. It's about a low impact as you can get.
  • ladykatya
    ladykatya Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    How about them old fashioned 'bicycles' -- you know, where you lay on your back and move your legs in a bicycle motion? They're vicious, work your abs, *AND* get your heart rate up. Those shouldn't put any force on your feet. Might hurt your back though, so watch that!

Hopping on one leg? :) Seriously though - it'd get the heart rate up!

I'm thinking it's time to let the upper body up the heart rate... arm circles? It won't get you *TOO* high, but will be SOMETHING.

That's all I've got for ideas right now.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Shadow boxing!
  • MrsDanner78
    MrsDanner78 Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks, all - I appreciate the suggestions! In my head, I couldn't get past the swimming - it was all I could think of!

Ironically, though my foot was getting worse and worse each day, and I was set on going to the doctor today, I woke up and it feels TOTALLY FINE. I had to walk for about 20 minutes to get to a training session for work today, and I had ZERO pain. I think I'll skip the doc and just rest my foot this week and try some of the things you guys suggested. If it still seems fine by next Monday, I'll go ahead and get back to my regular routine. I think my body was just being wussy. O.o
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    punches, upper cuts, jabs... all motions you can use with your upper body to get your heart rate up.

how does it feel on a stationary bike?